DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I listen to it. It's not great, but Kermode isn't as annoying as he used to be. He's turned down the whole 'forced rant' thing which I found really tiresome. Although it's laughably easy to predict what his opinions on certain films will be. Case in point, if directed by a woman, he will sing its praises much more than necessary. It's as though he's constantly trying to prove how PC and 21st-century his opinions are. Which obviously is no bad thing, but just tone it down.

Can anybody recommend any decent film podcasts? Kermode/Mayo is okay, the Empire Magazine podcast is decent but don't spend enough time discussing new releases for me, and the Little White Lies 'Truth & Movies' podcast started off fantastic but as it's gone on, the reviewers seem to be increasingly contrarian and miserable. They sound annoyed even when they're celebrating a film.

• Paid Members

The only movie pod I regularly listen to is the Hysteria Continues. Any fan of classic Slasher movies and Giallo should check it out.

• Paid Members

I liked Drive but Refn has basically taken all the worst elements from it and made it into two terrible films since. It's a shame, really, his Danish films are excellent - all three of the Pusher films are superb especially. Don't know what happened to that guy.