DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The four leads work so well together, even Jack Black, who's usually unbearable, is good here. It just lacks a really good and visible villain. I think Bobby Cannavale is a great character actor and he looks the part but he's barely in it. Even so, I think it's way more enjoyable than it had any right to be and it's got some amusingly surreal moments in it that I wasn't expecting.

It.

I'll be honest, I think the original is hugely overrated.  Thought the film was OK with some decent visuals, but that was it.  I did like the way the kids were absolutely shit scared though, really added to it but a 5 out of 10 from Kool Keith.

• Paid Members

Anyone watched Colossal? Honestly don't know what to make of it beyond Anne Hathaway's performance, which was superb. I felt its second half turn was a bit unpleasant but at the same time quite original. Vigalondo is making some really interesting films but I'm not sure he's made a great one yet.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Anyone watched Colossal? Honestly don't know what to make of it beyond Anne Hathaway's performance, which was superb. I felt its second half turn was a bit unpleasant but at the same time quite original. Vigalondo is making some really interesting films but I'm not sure he's made a great one yet.

It was a weird one for me, because all the marketing made it seem like it was going to be romantic comedy, but it was quite a dark and serious film at points. Agree on the second half turn, made me feel very uncomfortable at points, but it made for a really unusual, very good film. Jason Sudeikis was excellent, as was Hathaway. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Bright is every bit as terrible as you've heard it is and, in fact, even more so. Just don't do it to yourself. It's Christmas!

It's not great, or even good, but despite what the critics are saying, by no measure is it the worst movie of the year. Unless that measure is "I heard Max Landis was a dudebro with silly hair, so I'm going to show off about how much I hate him everytime his name comes up!"

• Paid Members

I had no idea who Landis was before this so I really had no prejudice against him heading in, but this is definitely the worst film I've seen this year. I honestly can't figure out David Ayer at all because I thought End of Watch and Fury were pretty good. But this and Sabotage are two of the worst films I've ever seen. 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I had no idea who Landis was before this so I really had no prejudice against him heading in, but this is definitely the worst film I've seen this year. I honestly can't figure out David Ayer at all because I thought End of Watch and Fury were pretty good. But this and Sabotage are two of the worst films I've ever seen. 

Yeah, Ayer's credits are wild. Wrote Training Day, a classic, and wrote/directed End of Watch, which is great. But also wrote/directed Suicide Squad, and did a rewrite on Bright that caused Landis to disown it. And in amongst those, some solid, goodish other films. No idea what you're going to get with him.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Finished Bright. Yeah, as most say, not very good at all. I do kind of like the idea of orcs and elves living alongside humans in the modern day, and similar sorts of ideas (it's why I liked that modern day Game of Thrones trailer), but this was not executed well. Apparently Netflix has ideas about turning this into a franchise, but on this first outing I'm not sure they'll be willing to shell out another $90m or more to do a second movie. I also noticed right at the beginning a production company (I assume) called Trigger Warning Entertainment. They sound like a lovely bunch of people.

I couldn't believe Variety described it as a "fantastic cop thriller." They even suggest that people should pay more than their Netflix sub to go watch this in a cinema. There is no way Netflix didn't pay Variety money to give Bright such a glowing review, surely?

Seriously, read this review: http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/bright-review-1202646941/

I didn't puke watching the movie or anything, but I'm finding it hard to believe this reviewer watched the same thing i did.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I don't understand what's going on with Netflix. Didn't they report a $2 billion debt a few months ago? And yet here they are throwing what will be around $200 million at a couple of films that seem set to be panned universally. I don't get it. They could have spent a quarter of that on a sequel to The Nice Guys.

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't understand what's going on with Netflix. Didn't they report a $2 billion debt a few months ago? And yet here they are throwing what will be around $200 million at a couple of films that seem set to be panned universally. I don't get it. They could have spent a quarter of that on a sequel to The Nice Guys.

Because the tech markets currently value user growth over every other metric, including turning profit.