DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Florida Project may very well be my pick for film of the year. It's certainly one of the funniest and, while William Dafoe is rightly getting some major praise, it's the young girl in it that makes the film pop.

Also, anyone that has listened to Opie & Anthony will know who Sandy Kane is. She's another brilliant character in the film, but it's surely no coincidence they cut away from a scene featuring her, to one with Dafoe talking to a big black guy called "Patrice". An Uncle Paul turns up too.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

The Florida Project may very well be my pick for film of the year. It's certainly one of the funniest and, while William Dafoe is rightly getting some major praise, it's the young girl in it that makes the film pop.

Also, anyone that has listened to Opie & Anthony will know who Sandy Kane is. She's another brilliant character in the film, but it's surely no coincidence they cut away from a scene featuring her, to one with Dafoe talking to a big black guy called "Patrice". An Uncle Paul turns up too.

Yeah, I just saw it and it was great. I wasn't a fan of Tangerine so I had my doubts about this but it was so good.

Willem Dafoe seems to have been in loads of films lately, which is fine by me.

• Paid Members

Do we have any conclusive proof that Emma Watson can act? Because I just watched Colonia and yet again she was shite. She really lucked out with those Harry Potter films because she's useless.

They try to make her into a bigger thing but it's not going to happen with her. She had a crowd pleasing role as Belle with Beauty and the Beast but I suspect that because it was such a good way of getting the HP fanbase behind her that she wasn't given a hard time despite being typically boring and having one of the most obvious displays of autotune since Cher with Believe.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

She's basically the new Kiera Knightly.

I saw Black Rain for the first time at the weekend. Really enjoyed it. Mickey Douglas in his prime!

Prime era Ridley Scott as well, all rain smoke and neon. I watched Romancing the Stone last week, Michael Douglas had some great comic timing, shame he didn't do more roles like that.

• Paid Members

Michael Douglas is one of my all time favourites. I think he's slightly under-appreciated overall as a leading man. He probably should have done more comedies but The War of the Roses, The Jewel of the Nile, One Night at McCool's and even Falling Down all show off his timing really well. I think Black Rain's my favourite performance of his though.

• Paid Members

Watched American Honey. Goes on for about a decade, says fuck all that hasn't been said before, we nearly see Shia Labeouf's plonker, the music's awful, it's really terrible.

• Paid Members

With sincere apologies to @Keith Houchen for the double post but I watched The Call tonight and it was superb. Brad Anderson is a superb director, he should get more credit. Reminds me a bit of a modern Peter Hyams.

Also watched something called Black Sea last night. Basically like an update of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre except on a submarine. Jude Law does a pretty good Scottish accent and he looks really bald in this. It was alright.

On 15 November 2017 at 1:14 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Michael Douglas is one of my all time favourites. I think he's slightly under-appreciated overall as a leading man. He probably should have done more comedies but The War of the Roses, The Jewel of the Nile, One Night at McCool's and even Falling Down all show off his timing really well. I think Black Rain's my favourite performance of his though.

Absolutely.  I'd add in The China Syndrome and The Game as two other great films.  Wall Street is obviously one of his most famous performances, but I personally really like the sequel even though it was generally panned. I'm a sucker for Oliver Stone though.

You've all moved on, but I give Blade Runner about 7.5/10.  A beautiful looking film but it both wore the homages to the original too heavily, and also had a frankly silly plot that doesn't really hold together if you start to think about it.  

It won't be regarded in 30 years time as the classic that the original was.  Much better than Ridley would have managed though.