DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, Loki said:

I've been diametrically opposed to the whole idea of a Blade Runner sequel after the abortion that was Prometheus but the reviews are so good that I'm going to have to swallow my pride and go and watch it (non-Replicant Deckard et al).

I finally took the leap and went to see Blade Runner 2049 last night.

It's not unenjoyable, and it looks nice for the most part, but
a) there's not nearly enough smoke. Blade Runner is set in a universe illuminated by shafts and beams of light in smoky environments
b) It's stupid, and assumes its audience is stupid.

They find a female skeleton. Despite an autopsy that finds minute details like scalpel marks, the pathologist can't tell that it's synthetic. As soon as K started zooming in, it was obvious that he was going to find a serial number, and it was going to be Rachel.

The whole first film was based around trying to get Deckard and Rachel to fancy each other? Was the whole thing with Batty's gang just a coincidence, or was that part of the plan? So Rachel was an experiment with a uterus, and Deckard was an experiment with testes, Why not just implant them with the belief that they're newlyweds and stick them in a hotel somewhere? It would have been Tyrell behind this idea, seeing as he made both of them, and he got killed - along with two other important men at Tyrell Corp - during the process.

Wallace recreates Rachel for old robot man Deckard, but gets her eye colour wrong. How is this possible, when he has her fucking Voight-Kampff test video?  A video, in colour, of her eye.

I did like when K visited the domes and all those kids started singing "Hard Knock Life" though.

• Paid Members

The Young Offenders was a really good laugh, you can catch it on Netflix. These Irish comedies always go down well with me. There's a great scene surrounding a description and re-enactment of the coffee shop scene from Heat that's especially funny.

The Imitation Game is a bit shite, really, but Keira Knightley is a national treasure, surely. Pretty much the only reason to sit through this. Mark Strong looks odd with hair.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

@Devon Malcolm I really enjoyed The Young Offenders too. I'd recommend Handsome Devil if you haven't seen it - another Irish coming-of-age story available on Netflix (although it's closer to Sing Street than Young Offenders). Pretty cliched in parts and hits all the usual beats you'd expect, but it's still charming enough to be worth a watch.

• Paid Members

I normally run a mile from anything featuring Greta Gerwig, but 20th Century Women was brilliant. Shame Maeby was only it for about 5 minutes though. </Loki>

The Age of Shadows, from the same guy who did I Saw the Devil and A Tale of Two Sisters, is too fucking long and like with I Saw the Devil, dilutes its several really good points by drawing everything out so much.

• Paid Members

Paddington 2 is superb. I like it more than the original even. Thoroughly taken me by surprise how much I loved it.

• Paid Members

It's brilliant. One of the films of the year. The original was great but it was even better. Hugh Grant and Brendan Gleeson are absolute class.

Plus it officially qualifies as one of the best prison movies of all time.

Went to see Thor: Ragnarok last night. Really enjoyed it, just good silly fun. I'd like to give it a second viewing to make sure it's definitely not a turd disguised with plenty of good gags. The fella made out of rocks is the MVP though, not one line from him missed.