DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I think you should just stick to Rosamund Pike films.

lol nearly called her Poke then.

Anyway, watched 1922. Largely boring. There's one great bit but it's Stephen King just recycling more of his old stuff, as he pretty much only does these days. Stuff about rats this time. Thomas Jane is really good though, as usual.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Thanks for the clarification. Mikey looks pretty grim and I am not surprised in the aftermath it was not released, though maybe surprised it is still so over 25 years later. I wonder how he'd seen it when it was never released here, bearing in mind this was pre internet days so trailers would only be on VHS or at the cinema.

It was released then quickly not released when the Bulger thing hit. Even "Childs Play 3" was banned for a while. Must have been six months to a year.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Watched 'Kidnap' the other night. A Netflix original starring Halle Berry as a mother whose child gets kidnapped. It's a straight up chase movie & at 90 mins keeps things pretty tight. There's some super clunky dialogue & exposition but I didn't hate it at all. It's not great by any stretch but there were some legit tense moments & decent car chase sequences. 20 years ago this would've been one of those 'straight to video' films that ended up being a pleasant surprise.

12 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Thomas Jane is really good though, as usual.

I've a real soft spot for Thomas Jane. I'm sure you've seen it but there was a film called 'Thursday' that I loved back in the day. It's 90's as fuck & has probably aged terribly but I watched it a tonne at the time.

18 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The Witch is the best horror I've seen in forever, how the hell did I miss this? Probably the double Vs had something to do with it.

Has there ever been better child performances?

Ā 

Ā 

Yeah, it's brilliant isn't it? Thought Finchy was ace.Ā 

That voice with that dialect was the perfect match too, I'm sure I had a right grin on my face when I first heard him speak. Robert Eggers has a bright future if this is how he starts.

I'm surprised by such a low IMDB score, although I imagine a lot of people went in expecting a typical jumpscare horror and this is anything but.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

The maddest thing about The Babysitter is that there's two McG's. One who makes shit films and one whoĀ made this. Must be like the Paul Andersons.

Not sure if I'm missing a joke here, but there is, thankfully, only one McG. Just seeing his name was enough for me to yell "Fucking McG?!" at Netflix and immediately exit the trailer.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Not sure if I'm missing a joke here, but there is, thankfully, only one McG. Just seeing his name was enough for me to yell "Fucking McG?!" at Netflix and immediately exit the trailer.

Which is a very reasonable defence mechanism for prospectively appauling movies, but this is a good, fun horror movie. Ā Maybe he works better with a limited budget? Ā Not sure, but it works.

2 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

Indeed you are because The Babysitter was thoroughly enjoyable and IĀ refuse to believe the McG we've all come to know and hate is the same McG that made this little gem.

• Paid Members

I told my wife that Split is directed by M Night and she said no way she is watching it. But to be fair, the last movie I saw of his was The Village. She paid money to see The HappeningĀ  at the cinema

Edited by Nick Soapdish

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Indeed you are because The Babysitter was thoroughly enjoyable and IĀ refuse to believe the McG we've all come to know and hate is the same McG that made this little gem.

It's a miracle, really, because he's never even slightly hinted he could make something as good as this. It's got its faults but it's a blast.