DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Castle (1997) : I haven’t watched this in years and I forgot how funny and lovely this movie is. I’ll probably watch it now about 10 times over the next couple of weeks and want to be a Kerrigan, but yeah, a brilliant little movie, insanely quotable and thoroughly recommend to those who haven’t seen it yet.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

The Castle (1997) : I haven’t watched this in years and I forgot how funny and lovely this movie is. I’ll probably watch it now about 10 times over the next couple of weeks and want to be a Kerrigan, but yeah, a brilliant little movie, insanely quotable and thoroughly recommend to those who haven’t seen it yet.

I watched it a few months back, great little film, some superb turns of phrase in it.

Took one of my daughters to My Little Pony yesterday. My eldest daughter was nuts about it for a couple of years before she grew out of it, so naturally I grew to hate it out of over-exposure. The film's alright though, taking at its own merits, there have certainly been much worse animated films this year.

Also watched the 2005 House of Wax last night. The first hour was one of the most boring experiences of my life but the second half is really, really good. Didn't need to be that long at all though.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Also watched the 2005 House of Wax last night. The first hour was one of the most boring experiences of my life but the second half is really, really good. Didn't need to be that long at all though.

I saw that in the flicks and my pots were rinsed and put away for the final third, absolutely. It was a decent little horror flick that did what it was supposed to do. Haven't watched it since, so might give it another spin soon.

I really thought Chad Michael Murray would have gone onto much bigger things as he's a very good looking chap with bundles of that Gosling-esque charisma, but I think he made some absolutely shit career choices that there was just no way back from.

Wasn't it this flick where Hilton parodied her leaked mucky tape?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I saw that in the flicks and my pots were rinsed and put away for the final third, absolutely. It was a decent little horror flick that did what it was supposed to do. Haven't watched it since, so might give it another spin soon.

I really thought Chad Michael Murray would have gone onto much bigger things as he's a very good looking chap with bundles of that Gosling-esque charisma, but I think he made some absolutely shit career choices that there was just no way back from.

Wasn't it this flick where Hilton parodied her leaked mucky tape?

It was indeed, the blowjob in the car.

What was weird about Murray and Elisha Cuthbert in this was their sexual chemistry even though they were meant to be twins. Steady on! I honestly can't remember ever having seen him in anything else, I think he struggled to shake off the teen idol thing from being in One Tree Hill.

• Paid Members

Ah, I wasn't sure if it was this or some Friedberg and Seltzer movie, which will tell you how well I received that 'meta' reference when I first saw it.

I'm ashamed to say, D-Mal - but yet I'll say it on here with pride - that Chad Michael Murray was tremendous as Charlie in Dawsons Creek. Outshone the rest of them little cribbing cunts

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Ah, I wasn't sure if it was this or some Friedberg and Seltzer movie, which will tell you how well I received that 'meta' reference when I first saw it.

I'm ashamed to say, D-Mal - but yet I'll say it on here with pride - that Chad Michael Murray was tremendous as Charlie in Dawsons Creek. Outshone the rest of them little cribbing cunts

I think she did parody it in one of those spoofs as well, but I'm pretty sure that scene was a reference to it in this as well.

Never watched Dawson's Creek, I must admit. It's probably due a reboot at some point.

38 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

You won't have seen it Devon, but Chad Michael Murray was a regular in Marvel series Agent Carter with Hayley Atwell.

In which I thought he was very good...

I watched the Lego Ninjago Movie with the kids. Another Lego triumph to be honest. Thought it was very funny and the plenty for the adults to enjoy. Thumbs up

• Paid Members

I thought it was easily the weakest of the three Lego films but still really good. The last two haven't done as well at the box office as expected so we might not see all that many more, even though we're getting The Lego Movie 2 at some point.

13 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I thought it was easily the weakest of the three Lego films but still really good. The last two haven't done as well at the box office as expected so we might not see all that many more, even though we're getting The Lego Movie 2 at some point.

Agreed, but still enough to make me laugh regularly. Surely they'll do Lego Star Wars at some point seeing as the TV series was excellent.

Watched Django Unchained last night for the umpteenth time. I remember the first time I watched it I loved it but felt every second of the 2 hour 45 minute running time and was done in by the time it finished. Now it feels like it breezes by and I'd say it's my second favourite Tarantino film after Pulp Fiction. All the leads put in a serious shift but Christoph Waltz is particularly fantastic as is Samuel L Jackson who is just a creepy, scary bastard. I like to pay particular attention now to the bit in the dining room towards the end where Di Caprio breaks the glass and legit cuts the crap out of his hand but keeps on acting and ad-libs rubbing blood over Brunhilda's face. There's little nuances in that scene where you know he's probably in agony but the way he's sort of shaking his hand and twitching makes his character come across like a total loony. I love it, it's just brilliant. Apart from Tarantinos cameo and crap Aussie accent, that bit can fuck off. But other than that, brilliant.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Agreed, but still enough to make me laugh regularly. Surely they'll do Lego Star Wars at some point seeing as the TV series was excellent.

Might be some kind of rights issue on that now that it falls under Disney's umbrella.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Star Wars characters pop up in the Lego Movie, so there must be some kind of agreement in place. Likely depends what the terms of a Lego contract entail.

I'd imagine cameo's will need to get sign off (similar to Wreck It Ralph did) and obviously they have been doing Star Wars shorts and TV Series for a good while now. However Lego Movies are made by Warner Bros (Who also did The Clone Wars film if I recall correctly) so unless Disney and WB do it as a joint production I cannot see it ever happening. The diminishing returns on both Batman and Ninjago compared to the first Lego Movie probably do not help the situation.