DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

15 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Murder on the Orient Express was exactly as pointless as you think it is if you've ever watched a single Agatha Christie adaptation. Daisy Ridley was great though, as was Josh Gad, but Michelle Pfeiffer was the stand-out.

Johnny Depp needs to just fucking go away though. Having thought about it, I don't think I've liked him in anything except Ed Wood.

I absolutely love Ed Wood. Love it, it's a top 10 film for me. Depp is great, SJP is great. Martin Landau is just immense.

I too agree on Depp though, think he's very weak and irritating as fuck. But Donnie Brasco Devon? Not a fan? As he's very good in that.

• Paid Members

Johnny Depp's at his best when he's playing a real person - Hunter S. Thompson or Ed Wood, basically - but given free reign to be a "quirky" oddball, he's insufferable. So the perfect partner for Tim Burton, who suffers from the exact same fucking problem.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Johnny Depp's at his best when he's playing a real person - Hunter S. Thompson or Ed Wood, basically - but given free reign to be a "quirky" oddball, he's insufferable. So the perfect partner for Tim Burton, who suffers from the exact same fucking problem.

Even when he's playing a real person he has a tendency to dial it up to 11. Black Mass was shocking for it. He hasn't managed to be subtle for the last 20 years.

Finally got round to watching Bone Tomahawk over the weekend, I've had it on a memory stick for about a year along with The Hateful Eight (which I've still not watched). So glad that I finally watched it, everyone in it puts in a great shift and it's very well put together for a film with a very small budget. It's up on Netflix too for anyone that wants to catch it

• Paid Members

I think I've sung its praises on here before, but Bone Tomahawk is one of my favourite films in years. Astonishingly good stuff.

Not only is it relatively low budget (less than $2 million), it was all filmed in 21 days, and allegedly all from the first draft of the script, and it was Zahler's first film as a director.

I bought a couple of his books off the back of it - he wrote two Westerns, and he considers them a loose trilogy with Bone Tomahawk, though there's nothing explicitly tying them together. Wraiths Of The Broken Land has a lot in common with Bone Tomahawk, and is well worth a read, but if anything it's even more brutal.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Finally got round to watching Bone Tomahawk over the weekend, I've had it on a memory stick for about a year along with The Hateful Eight (which I've still not watched). So glad that I finally watched it, everyone in it puts in a great shift and it's very well put together for a film with a very small budget. It's up on Netflix too for anyone that wants to catch it

It absolutely shites on The Hateful Eight from a great height. It's some debut.

American Ultra.

"The Stoner Bourne" as it's known.  Thought it was entertaining and enjoyable.  I don't mind Jesse Eisenberg but I know some people can't get past his punchable face, he is like the Dorian Gray portrait of Michael Cera.  One of the joys was shouting "GOGGINS" whenever Walton appeared onscreen.

There was some cracking CGI on the girl from Twilight, her mouth actually looked closed.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

American Ultra.

"The Stoner Bourne" as it's known.  Thought it was entertaining and enjoyable.  I don't mind Jesse Eisenberg but I know some people can't get past his punchable face, he is like the Dorian Gray portrait of Michael Cera.  One of the joys was shouting "GOGGINS" whenever Walton appeared onscreen.

There was some cracking CGI on the girl from Twilight, her mouth actually looked closed.

Speaking of her, I watched Personal Shopper the other night. She was absolutely superb in it. Shame the film was crap.