DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The Gift, Mother, It Comes At Night and Doubt. Despite Doubt being very good it's needless to say I've had a few days of dissatisfaction with film endings although I should really reserve judgement on Mother until i can actually be fucked watching the ending.

Gonna make an effort to go see Hostiles this month, anyone seen?

• Paid Members

I didn't really like The Gift and It Comes at Night. Joel Edgerton is great though but he deserves better.

Is the Doubt you're talking about the Meryl Streep one? Wasn't sold on that either despite all the acclaim.

I might see Hostiles this week.

Yeah, Streep, PSH, and Amy Adams. I think their performances outweighed what was a fairly by the numbers script. 

I was complaining that they never do anything different with those types of films when watching The Gift so was at least satisfied that they tried but Jason Batemans character was so unlikable I was rooting for the creepy stalker a bit too much.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Bateman really unbalanced that film for me as well. I hope Edgerton doesn't sully himself with appearing in Bright 2.

Like you say, Doubt is more of the same that we've seen plenty of times before. Without the performances (Viola Davis is great too), it would have sunk without trace.

• Paid Members

For some reason I imagine I'll like Downsizing but I'll watch anything with Matt Damon in, the silly twat.

Going to see Three Billboards on Friday and Hostiles tomorrow. There's loads out at the moment, impossible to catch it all, then there'll be fuck all on through the Spring. Might drag the kids to see Coco on Saturday as well.

Rings.

One of the most unimaginative films I've seen.  Don't know if it's because I love the original trilogy but is so by the numbers you can count in the jump scares.  Plus the lead does that whole talking to herself on the off chance the viewer didn't pick up on the clues that have all of the subtlety and charm of a Jamster ringtone.

Personally, If Samara called me in this movie and said "Seven days", I'd tell her I'd settle for a buy now price of seven minutes.

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

For some reason I imagine I'll like Downsizing but I'll watch anything with Matt Damon in, the silly twat.

Going to see Three Billboards on Friday and Hostiles tomorrow. There's loads out at the moment, impossible to catch it all, then there'll be fuck all on through the Spring. Might drag the kids to see Coco on Saturday as well.

Is Coco out this weekend? That's worth knowing.

We spent our evening last night on a trailer spree basically poring over all the awards-y films coming out soon and anything else we could think of we wanted to see (A Quiet Place looks terrifying but amazing!). Three Billboards is top of the list but I'm going to need to make time for Shape Of Water, Coco and probably The Post as well. And judging solely from the trailer, I like the look of I, Tonya. From that it appears Allison Janney would be worth the admission price on her own.

Watched Drive last night to see what the fuss was about. I enjoyed it for the most part, I liked how tense it was in places, Albert Brookes is wonderfully unhinged and Brian Cranston is his typically good self but I thought the ending was a bit flat and Ryan Gosling's face only seems to have one setting. Excellent soundtrack though.

• Paid Members

Hostiles was alright but nothing really that impressive outside of the acting.

To the delight of @Keith Houchen, probably Rosamund Pike's best performance.

To the dismay of @Scott Malbranque (and me), a complete waste of Ben Foster.

Just read your review of it and saw that! 

Not written any reviews, but have introduced my girlfriend to Letterboxd and we are rating every film we watch for the year. I say it every year but I really should use Letterboxd more.

• Paid Members

Outside of doing reviews and lists, I don't use it for anything else anymore. But it's still a great resource for being alerted to films that are upcoming or you might have missed.

A Field In England.

There will come a time when I will stop saying to myself "I know you've given him chance after chance, but you might like this Ben Wheatley film", I wish it was earlier today.

A sixth form student version of Valhalla Rising, with added preposterousness.  Utter fucking garbage and no, it isn't better than Mother! before you start with that shit.