DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Scott Pilgrim vs the World-Have no idea how I'd avoided this for so many years and I thought it was an absolute joy. Mary Elizabeth Winstead>everyone else

I hate cheaters, but you can’t blame Ewan McGregor too much in this situation 

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Any other recommendations on films like these would be more than welcome. Cheers.

500 Days of Summer. Sure, it made me hate Zoey Deschanel for ages but it’s quite a nice film actually. Forgetting Sarah Marshal maybe too much of a comedy for what you are after but Mila Kunis is adorable in it

• Paid Members

It's just alright D-Mal. I woke up for a piddle at about 0330 and checked my Facebook for something unrelated and saw The Cloverfield Paradox had been released, so I got so really giddy and then I couldn't go back asleep, and as a result I went and downloaded and watched it before I started my day. It's a bit of a let down and all over the place (obviously due to the fact it was never meant to be part of the Cloverfield mythos) but there's a few nice surprises - albeit tacke on - throughout. It really wants to be Interstellar by way of Event Horizon, Alien and Cloverfield, but winds up more like Sphere by way of Life and MIB.

I can't really say much more without spoiling, but looking forward to your take on it tomorrow.

I'll have to give it another watch as I could have been really tired and as a huge fan of the original, I felt let down.

• Paid Members

The thing about these Cloverfield films is that they are fascinating in the way they're being announced and released but the content of them? Not so much. I really like the original but 10 Cloverfield Lane was nothing special and the ending didn't really add anything to the 'universe'. If they're just taking other films and co-opting them into the universe then I don't really know what's the point. Is there an end game to all this? If so, fine. But currently, everything surrounding the films is far more interesting than the films themselves.

But I do love a sci-fi thriller and horror so I'm still excited for it.

The have recently announced a 4th film in the Cloverfield series, currently called Overlord (to be released October next year).

The plot seems to be: In 1944, two American paratroopers are shot down over Normandy in the midst of the D-Day invasion and they discover that the Nazis are using supernatural forces against them.

I liked the first two Cloverfield films, so I will have to give the new one a watch tonight. A bit surprised at the sudden release.

• Paid Members

This one was pencilled in for a cinema release next month as well, unless they suddenly sling another one out. It's all pretty interesting but I would like the films to be as good as the 'original'.

Late to the party but went to see the "Greatest Showman" yesterday. What a great film. Absolutely loved it. Left in a great mood and it actually had me really liking the people I'm supposed to like which I find is a rarity now days.

The songs in it were all good too with a couple of instant classics in there. A million dreams is so bloody catchy.

Never been a fan of the X Men films so never fully appreciated Hugh Jackman outside of Les Mis, but he was fantastic in this.

Couldn't recommend it enough.

Yeah, it's good that Greatest Showman has done as well as it has, with people actually going out and watching it despite getting a bit of a mauling from critics. The musical aspect is its strength as I don't think a straight up drama would have been as well recieved, despite good performances from the cast. Hugh Jackman is really in his element too, and I'd love to go see him onstage as a result of this. The only real negative I took from it was the racism sub-plot felt a little forced, but otherwise it's a really enjoyable film

• Paid Members

It doesn't interest me at all but it's been a slow burner at the box office, that one. I thought it would do better than Jumani, actually, which hasn't quite happened. Jumanji passed $850 million last weekend and is number one again at the US box office. Incredible performance.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It doesn't interest me at all but it's been a slow burner at the box office, that one. I thought it would do better than Jumani, actually, which hasn't quite happened. Jumanji passed $850 million last weekend and is number one again at the US box office. Incredible performance.

Interestingly The Last Jedi did $1.3 billion, which is massive of course, but miles away from the money the Force Awakens drew. You fancy Jumanji had a big part to play in that. Pretty wild that Jumanji didn't get swallowed up by the Star Wars promotion.