NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

5 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Ohno’s offence is just elbows and the occasional big boot.

Thats 2 takeovers in a row now where all he’s done is Elbows, Get rid 

I'm convinced that he's being kept around as some sort of rib. Knockout artist who never knocks anyone out, has to be a piss take.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Key difference is WWE know what they are doing, and TNA have let wrestler’s contract expire without noticing. If TNA don’t own the rights to the name EC3 that’s their own fault.

Besides, TNA have relied pretty heavily on WWE stars over the years 

TNA are cutting the wage bill, not sure they let EC3's contract expire "without noticing" though.

They did own the rights to the EC3 name. The fact that they're willingly relinquishing it with the WWE being the party that benefits, while they'd never do the same themselves, is what I'm questioning. 

In response to an earlier point, yes not everyone will be aware of EC3 and his TNA work, but its more recognisable than Derrick Bateman either way.

Edited by garynysmon

24 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

TNA are cutting the wage bill, not sure they let EC3's contract expire "without noticing" though.

They did own the rights to the EC3 name. The fact that they're willingly relinquishing it with the WWE being the party that benefits, while they'd never do the same themselves, is what I'm questioning. 

In response to an earlier point, yes not everyone will be aware of EC3 and his TNA work, but its more recognisable than Derrick Bateman either way.

Was referring to when they did it with Roode to give an example of what a mess their contract department has always been. If they are just giving up the rights to it then why did they kick up a fuss over Broken Matt Hardy? 

• Paid Members

Didn't WWE once allow The Rock's contract to expire without noticing?

The deal with Impact and the Broken gimmick is that they've changed their minds after seeing how much they were portrayed as the bad guys for not allowing the Hardys to use the gimmick elsewhere, as well as realising that they're unable to compete with WWE in terms of finances and attracting talent. It was reported in the Observer the other week that in order to get guys to sign, Impact's new approach is that, "whatever gimmick they or the company came up with, they could take with them to WWE or anywhere else they wanted to go."

So, as someone who's never seen him on Impact, is EC3 actually any good?

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Because the gimmick was over. 

Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be consistent with their policy on trademarked gimmicks. Because then it does come off as petty, unlike WWE who will tell someone charging $100 an appearance to stop using a copyrighted gimmick.

WWE have one rule and stick to it 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

A video game podcast I subscribe to discussed trademark infringement last year, it came up because a publisher called Bethesda were going after anyone who used the words 'Elder' or 'Scrolls' in their game title, no matter the context of the use. 

The point was made that they were being the big evil corporation bullying small developers but one of the hosts then went into detail that the reason is because they have to go after anything they become aware of, if they didn't, and someone else then blatantly infringed one of their games a copyright lawyer could point to the previous occurrence and state that they weren't consistently protecting their trademarks and it was unfair treatment of their client that they were being targeted when others were ignored/let off. Because copyright law is very specific these lawyers frequently win cases on technicalities like this.

Impact are potentially doing themselves damage by not contesting trademarks, imagine Vince decided to remove the 205 weight limit from the cruisers and just nick the X Division name for shits and giggles. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Supremo said:

Didn't WWE once allow The Rock's contract to expire without noticing?

Also Alundra Blayse's leading to the dropping the WWF Women's belt into the bin on Nitro.

Almost happened too regarding Jeff Jarrett when he was IC Champion when his contract expired. I say almost because they realised his contract was up before it happened but only very late in the day where Jarrett had significant leverage over them concerning dropping the belt before going back to WCW.

Edited by PJ Power

Yeah, that was a GOOD show.  But Takeovers leading up to Wrestlemania almost always are.

On the positive side, I will grudgingly give credit to KOR and Fish for having their best outing so far.  O-Reilly and Rezar had some great stuff going.  Rezar looks like he might have the tools to become a huge singles star too - he's only 23 and he was clubbing people like Lesnar.

On the negative, I STILL don't see anything in Adam Cole.  He took some seriously stupid bumps too.  That match was the epitome of NXT for me - two guys expertly hyped up and clearly capable in the ring but honestly I don't really care for either of them.  The promotion is great at working around people's weaknesses. 

People keep saying that Ohno was the best wrestler in the world in 2016.  Well, he's not now.  Crazily out of shape and not as agile as he thinks he is, leading to some blown spots.  How can you spend all day at the PC and look like that?  Christ, even Adam Cole has put on some muscle.

Everything else was as good as you could expect.  Baszler looked strong but lost, which means she won't get exposed as champ.  Johnny took such an impressive beating, I was glad when he got pinned!  Those two had a great match, Almas is winning me over slowly as champ.

Think of all the good stars that didn't make it onto the card, plus the new signees - an embarrassment of riches in NXT right now!  I'll be honest, if they just took the format of NXT (and the lighting) and transferred it to Raw I'd be happy.  It's simple, well told wrestling stories.  Johnny Gargano's last 12 months has to be one of the best bits of long-term booking I can remember.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Loki said:

How can you spend all day at the PC and look like that?  

I'm not sure that he does. Some of the bigger NXT names get contracts that don't require them to put in X number of hours at the Performance Center the way the development lot do - Bobby Roode and Samoa Joe didn't have to, and I suspect Ohno probably doesn't either, as I don't think they have any intention to call him up to the main roster anyway. But to have that facility available and not use it would be bonkers.

He was fired first time around because he was bullshitting about the amount of time he spent training - you have to clock in a certain amount of hours in the weight room, a certain amount of hours at various other work-outs around the place, and apparently he was blagging it somehow, getting other people to clock in for him or whatever.

Finally got round to watching Takeover this morning. 

Absolutely loved it, the crowd was into everything and weren't too cunty (although I did spot Marilyn Manson guy wearing sunglasses indoors, dick). Even the vanilla midgets delivered and relieved that they didn't put the belt on Baszler so soon. She's got a long way to go yet, but she came out of this looking strong in defeat.

The commentary was a million times better without Nigel there. Not that Percy Watson did anything incredible but he actually got the time to make some sort of contribution here whereas he doesn't usually with the 3 man setup. Keep McGuiness on 205 Live which no-one watches.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm not sure that he does. Some of the bigger NXT names get contracts that don't require them to put in X number of hours at the Performance Center the way the development lot do - Bobby Roode and Samoa Joe didn't have to, and I suspect Ohno probably doesn't either, as I don't think they have any intention to call him up to the main roster anyway. But to have that facility available and not use it would be bonkers.

He was fired first time around because he was bullshitting about the amount of time he spent training - you have to clock in a certain amount of hours in the weight room, a certain amount of hours at various other work-outs around the place, and apparently he was blagging it somehow, getting other people to clock in for him or whatever.

Might just be my age speaking, but honestly I see something admirable in giving up the prospect of a main roster run and a chance at a six figure salary rather than do a few more situps.