NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

• Paid Members

Yep, MITB was the last one. Cena/AJ was given 4 and three quarters I think.

Finally got round to watching the match on Tuesday night, my god. Fully deserving of 5 stars. What a superb effort from both guys, but in particular a lesson in garnering sympathy from Gargano. What a babyface performance. Best WWE match I've watched since...well Cena/Punk incidentally.

• Paid Members

Yeah. I thought Meltzer would be cunty and give it one of them cop out **** 3/4 efforts because 'E. However, the greatness of that match is undeniable.

Some crackers already this year, with Jericho/Omega and the Okada effort at Wrestle Kingdom.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Iā€™m not convinced there was ever a plan to give Gargano a run with the belt, but after that match and the reaction itā€™s got, they must now realise that theyā€™ve got something special with him. Heā€™s the purest babyface theyā€™ve had in years, and easily one of the best workers on the roster. Even if they inevitably screw him up on the main roster, thereā€™s a brilliant underdog story to tell in NXT before he comes up. Hopefully his feud with Ciampa involves some title matches before all is said and done.Ā 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

If Ciampa isn't 100% ready to go (which given he's got the knee still in the brace and ad the crutch I assume he's not as yet), I'd almost be tempted to have Gargano vs Almas 2 at the Mania weekend Takeover, and have Gargano win, only for Ciampa to goad him into a title match immediately afterwards, which Gargano being the honest babyface he is won't turn down, and win the belt. You can then have Gargano chase Ciampa for a bit, and eventually overcome the odds, while Almas goes up to the main roster after Mania.Ā 

I like the idea of giving Gargano that moment, only to rip it away immediately, and given the emotional stakes with Ciampa being involved it could be a huge deal. I suspect if they book it correctly he'd be an even bigger babyface as a result when he eventually does win the belt.Ā 

• Awards Moderator

I'm astonished Gargano was booked like that and didn't get the win. Don't get me wrong, it's the right decision but very un-WWE booking style. Now Almas can move on to another opponent while Gargano clears up his business with Ciampa.Ā 

• Paid Members

Agree, Supremo. It reminds me a wee bit of Jeff Hardy v Orton at the 08 Rumble, in that all involvedĀ did such a top job building Hardy up for one big show that they convinced the fans Hardy was the guy.

Can't wait for the Ciampa feud. It must be an absolute piece of piss being a heel against Gargano, these days, because he just needs to pull up with a side stitch and the fans will boo the can of Fanta that did it.

• Paid Members

It was lost in a plethora of great matches during the Cruiserweight Classic, but IĀ recall Gargano and Ciampa having a cracking babyface vs. babyface match in the first round of that tournament. The idea of them headlining a Takeover event, for the title, after almost a year of build up, makes me nearly burst with excitement. Meltzer better get ready with seven stars.

15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It was lost in a plethora of great matches during the Cruiserweight Classic, but IĀ recall Gargano and Ciampa having a cracking babyface vs. babyface match in the first round of that tournament. The idea of them headlining a Takeover event, for the title, after almost a year of build up, makes me nearly burst with excitement. Meltzer better get ready with seven stars.

That was the match of the tournament for me. Gargano certainly knows how to sell a beating. Was brutal.Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

You could argue it started with that match in the CC, with the post match, I felt like they were teasing the split then briefly, only to pull the trigger much later. That would make it what, 18 months? Maybe more? That's about the same duration of the build to Hogan-Sting in 97.