Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

I think we’re now so used to seeing smaller guys that someone who has that bit of mass automatically looks like The Warlord by comparison.

Yesterday the wife and I were watching They Live (she was humouring me), and when I told Roddy Piper was a wrestler, she said “him!? He’s well scrawny”, which obviously he wasn’t, he was 230-ish lbs. Christ knows what she think of I showed her someone like Johnny Gargano

7 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I'd be more worried about adding to a roster that's already too bloated in comparison to its hours of exposure.

AEW could do with trimming the fat tbh. As has been said, Cima and co. can go. Even though they have yet to have him on Dynamite I think Sonny Kiss could be worth keeping around. Obviously save yourself a shedload of cash and ditch Havoc and Janela as they are both utter shit and should never have been signed in the first place. Dr Luther's done nothing. Neither has Mel. Angelico and Jack Evans havent been used. Get rid. 

Yeah you dont want all the WWE cast offs but virtually all of them have some worth over some of the dregs they have now .

1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Havoc and Janela as they are both utter shit and should never have been signed in the first place

I agree about Havoc.

But have a soft spot for Janela. Perhaps i should post my love for "The Bad Boy" in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread?

He does have charisma & a decent promo. I only see a few wrestlers in AEW that are better in those departments.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I think we’re now so used to seeing smaller guys that someone who has that bit of mass automatically looks like The Warlord by comparison.

Yesterday the wife and I were watching They Live (she was humouring me), and when I told Roddy Piper was a wrestler, she said “him!? He’s well scrawny”, which obviously he wasn’t, he was 230-ish lbs. Christ knows what she think of I showed her someone like Johnny Gargano

Yeah, Piper always at worst looked like a tough bloke. At WM1 he looked solid and lean, if not ripped. And he was clearly a big guy - but stick him in the ring with Hogan and Orndorff, and he was always going to come off worse in the comparison. Mr. T was probably closer to his size, but having a darker skin tone added to the visual effect of looking bigger/more ripped.

I'd be surprised if anyone saw Piper for the first time at WM8 and thought he looked scrawny, though. Not just because he was in the ring with Bret, but also because it was probably the most jacked he'd ever been.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I doubt that's true, you know. He's not big at all. He wrestles tiny people for the most part, but I bet if Vince or Triple H met him at WWE HQ, they wouldnt be as impressed as we are seeing him on Impact or Lucha Underground. Billy Gunn is a big guy, but he shouldnt look like Andre next to him.

auyrd9rzja041.jpg

Billy Gunn is surprisingly massive. He has hands like shovels and is a legit 6'4/5. It shocked me a bit. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, Piper always at worst looked like a tough bloke. At WM1 he looked solid and lean, if not ripped. And he was clearly a big guy - but stick him in the ring with Hogan and Orndorff, and he was always going to come off worse in the comparison. Mr. T was probably closer to his size, but having a darker skin tone added to the visual effect of looking bigger/more ripped.

I'd be surprised if anyone saw Piper for the first time at WM8 and thought he looked scrawny, though. Not just because he was in the ring with Bret, but also because it was probably the most jacked he'd ever been.

Being pedantic here, no doubt. These are not one and the same. If there's any point Piper would have been more considered jacked, it's WrestleMania I. He was far from it at WrestleMania VIII. Come King of the Ring '93 he was more ripped.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

Being pedantic here, no doubt. These are not one and the same. If there's any point Piper would have been more considered jacked, it's WrestleMania I. He was far from it at WrestleMania VIII. Come King of the Ring '93 he was more ripped.

Being pedantic here, but its King of the Ring 94.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Piper looked his best IMO around the time he won the IC Belt. Put a firework up his arse to get him to the gym. From about Royal Rumble 92 to Wrestlemania 8.

The motivation that the payday a fitness video will give you.

fightingfit0b.jpg

5 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Billy Gunn is surprisingly massive. He has hands like shovels and is a legit 6'4/5. It shocked me a bit. 

Billy Gunn is one who a bit like Scott Hall seed to look smaller than they were on camera. Seeing him in a few small UK halls I was stunned how massive he was. 

• Paid Members

A Mexican 'Lucha Libre' Wrestler Is Sewing Masks To Fight Coronavirus

gettyimages-1220251632_wide-e71ecaa08d60

Hijo del Soberano says about a week or two into Mexico's lockdown, which began officially March 30, he started getting desperate. They couldn't pay bills or buy food. His wife suggested they put their sewing machines to use. Why not make surgical-style masks to guard against the virus?

Hijo del Soberano balked.

"'No, no,' I said, 'I make [full-face] costume masks,'" he says.

But with bills coming due and food running low, he relented.

"Early one morning, I heard this noise coming from the sewing room," says his wife, Marissa Espinoza Rodríguez. "By the time I got up, he had sewn several different types."

Hijo del Soberano says the switch wasn't too hard. "I just altered my skills a bit and made the mask from the nose to the chin," he says.

He kept all the details and flair of his full-face designs, and still pays homage to Mexico's most famous luchadores: There's a silver mask like El Santo's, a blue-and-white covering similar to Blue Demon's — and of course, his own green-and-gold design.

Each mask sells for 150 pesos ($6.26), and he accepts orders on his Facebook page. Sales are off the charts, Hijo del Soberano says, and he's sewing more than 200 masks a week now.

"We're not hurting for money anymore," he says. "We just need more hands to make more masks."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/30/848215046/a-mexican-lucha-libre-wrestler-is-sewing-masks-to-fight-coronavirus?t=1588522043302

Good on the couple.

• Paid Members
On 5/2/2020 at 4:46 AM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The motivation that the payday a fitness video will give you.

fightingfit0b.jpg

I picked that video up at a car boot sale as a kid. He shows kids how to beat up a blow up punching bag with The Undertaker on it, calling it "The Gravedigger". Marvellous.