Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

FWIW, ESPN is owned primarily by Disney, and whilst Disney acquired quite a chunk of Fox properties last year, the network Smackdown is now on (and its sports sister network that Smackdown is sometimes on, etc.) was spun off into separate ownership under the new "Fox Corporation". So any purchase by "ESPN and Fox" if referring to the TV networks would be joint ownership in some fashion.

Could I see "ESPN and Fox" being Chinese whispers of a potential Disney Corporation takeover of WWE? Yeah, maybe. But ESPN itself has been making huge cost cuts over the last few years, and suggestions have been made that the current lack of live sporting events to broadcast is hitting them hard.

Plus aren't WWE supposed to be rolling in cash currently due to the Saudi deal? Think I saw something on here that suggested that even if they don't run another attended show this year it'll still be one of their most successful financial years ever or something?

I think where there's maybe the most truth in this is discussions with Disney and/or Fox over the Network - again, I think it was on here that I saw it suggested WWE weren't happy with whoever they partnered with to launch the streaming service (was it MLB Network or am I making that up??) and were considering new partners?

• Paid Members

They moved away from the company that runs MLB Network a while ago. The new company seem to be worse when I last checked. That was around Wrestlemania time. Lots of buffering. It did seem to be a little easier to find things like Clash of the Champions.

16 minutes ago, courageous said:

Might be 2 hall of famer's contesting the US presidential election this year

https://nypost.com/2020/04/28/jesse-ventura-weighing-presidential-run-on-green-party-ticket/

Well I’m sure that’ll go well.

Doesn’t the rumour of WWE selling up come around every other year or so? They were supposedly selling the tape library to AMC last time

Edited by WyattSheepMask

1 hour ago, Bettencourt said:

Vince is obviously keen to sell up his stock so he can gazump the Saudi’s and get that takeover of Newcastle United after so many years. 

Or the Saudis are brokering a deal for Mike Ashley to buy WWE...