General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

Pepe Le Pew isn't just love struck, he's a pretty dodgy character during a time when consent is a hot and rightly important topic.

And speaking as a massive Looney Tunes fan, Pepe was always one of their worst characters and most his cartoons are fucking boring and repetitive. Dropping him is for the best because he's not just problematic, he's rubbish. 

12 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Pepe Le Pew isn't just love struck, he's a pretty dodgy character during a time when consent is a hot and rightly important topic.

And speaking as a massive Looney Tunes fan, Pepe was always one of their worst characters and most his cartoons are fucking boring and repetitive. Dropping him is for the best because he's not just problematic, he's rubbish. 

-1- Thats your personal opinion on a character... That would be like me saying I wished they would have kept Jerry (a character I personally hate with a passion) far away from the Tom & Jerry movie!

-2- It's not that I dont agree with you, but I just find it strange that people think its okay we can add mass murdering characters to a kids movie, but a problematic cartoon character is a bridge to far...

• Paid Members

To answer your points.

1 - yes it's an opinion. That's what message boards are for...posting opinions. We don't need to say "in my opinion" whenever we post anything because it's obvious that its an opinion.

2 - I don't think people are ok with it, most people think it's a bad idea for many reasons. But they are different things. The characters from Clockwork Orange being in a crowd scene for probably six frames of an entire movie is very different from having Pepe Le Pew as a featured character. You can see how they're very different can't you?

• Paid Members

Nope. The original is a fun, well made kids movie. It's not a bad film but it's very much a film that only kids could (and should) enjoy. I saw it when I was 9 and I remember everyone my age absolutely loved it. I've seen it a few times since and it absolutely gets the job it's supposed to do right.

This new one looks absolutely fucking terrible to me but at 34 years old I have no idea what kids like these days, this mad shite is probably right up their alley. I might watch it if I'm on a long flight or something but otherwise I think anyone over the age of 13 who wants to watch it is probably a bit weird.

• Paid Members

The stuff in the background is presumably just some Easter eggs for the mums & dads taking their kids to see this? Or it's stuff they're popping in the trailer to get people talking about this film for reasons other than "they made the girl rabbit's tits smaller based on this rule 34 fanart I'm convinced is real" and the Pepe Le Pew stuff.

I can understand them finding him problematic. I found it funny as a kid, but he was the weakest character of all the looney tunes crew and looking back they totally wouldn't be able to get away with it today. I forget whether he managed to end up "getting the girl" at the end of the episodes or whether the cat gets restored to normal and he just leaves her be. The only one I do remember is one where he ends up getting his stripes painted black and the roles getting reversed for a taste of comeuppance. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I was a far too cultured child to enjoy it, Good Burger was the classic of 1997.

Thinking Good Burger was the classic of 1997 explains a lot. 

@jazzygeofferznailed it. That’s literally all it is. Same as any joke in a Pixar film aimed at the adults having to sit through it with their kids. Really not sure why that’s so hard to understand when that’s all they will be used for.

Nearly TWO pages on the bloody Space Jam trailer. You sick sick bastards.

Been reading quite a bit of this site over the last couple of days and this, in particular how he writes about Herzog is wonderful. I'm spending the day down a Siskel and Ebert YouTube hole.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

This new one looks absolutely fucking terrible to me but at 34 years old I have no idea what kids like these days

It doesn't matter, because "kids' movies" for the most part seem to be made more a nostalgia fuel for the adults who watched the original property than for a new generation of kids.