General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

If Dave Bautista is going to blow shit up, then you can count me in. If it turns out to be shit afterwards it won't be his fault, and we can complain how Netflix, Snyder, ITV, don't deserve Dave(wrestling). 

9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The Oscars are stupid, ranking films in lists is even stupider, but this is a fun little read.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a36208123/best-picture-oscar-winners-ranked/

Parasite number 2? Fucking idiots. It pins you to your seat? It’s fucking boring and the family are a bunch of horrible cunts. 
Also, noticed the forums favourite word in the review of Rebecca, ‘the housekeeper stans the first Mrs De Winter’. Grim. 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Parasite number 2? Fucking idiots. It pins you to your seat? It’s fucking boring and the family are a bunch of horrible cunts. 
Also, noticed the forums favourite word in the review of Rebecca, ‘the housekeeper stans the first Mrs De Winter’. Grim. 

But you’re wrong, and it’s ok to be wrong sometimes. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, stewdogg said:

It's like since you got your name changed from Rapey Eyes you thought, I'll now draw attention to myself instead by being wrong and terrible about everything.

49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's like since you got your name changed from Rapey Eyes you thought, I'll now draw attention to myself instead by being wrong and terrible about everything.

Well that’s not deliberate.

In my opinion, from that list of films both Godfathers are at least better than Parasite. I also enjoyed others from that list more too.

Film, and all art, is subjective, and no one knows more than anyone else (Roger Ebert maybe) 

That list (and all lists and rankings) are not to be taken seriously IMO. It was just an article I enjoyed with a cup of tea, that I had a bit of a laugh at. 

If you didn't like Parasite, that's fine.

However, if you were upset that The Invisible Man had an invisible man in it, then don't watch Trainspotting for the locomotives *SPOILER* 

31 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Film, and all art, is subjective, and no one knows more than anyone else (Roger Ebert maybe) 

That list (and all lists and rankings) are not to be taken seriously IMO. It was just an article I enjoyed with a cup of tea, that I had a bit of a laugh at. 

If you didn't like Parasite, that's fine.

However, if you were upset that The Invisible Man had an invisible man in it, then don't watch Trainspotting for the locomotives *SPOILER* 

But that’s not true. Film is like a language and some people are fluent in that language and some have a basic understanding. I love food but I won’t pretend my opinion on a meal is equal to Gordon Ramsey’s. It certainly is subjective but not all opinions are equal.

7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It certainly is subjective but not all opinions are equal.

There are no professional critics on this forum as far as I'm aware, so no ones opinion carries more weight than anyone else IMO.

Obviously 'out in the real world' I'd probably say that the people who review films for a living probably do hold more sway than me for instance, that's true, as it is for most things.

For instance, I love writing about hip hop but I know there are probably 4567 people in the world that have a greater 'technical understanding' of the art form than me. 

But even then, most of the people that I enjoy reading or listening to haven't necessarily had the training and 'basic understanding' that you speak of. 

It's like that list. If you were to ask me what my favourite film is on that list, I could tell you. But I probably couldn't (I probably could to be honest) tell you what the 'best' film is. What's the criteria for best, what makes it the best etc.

I've completely lost my point as there is a cat and a dog fighting 2 feet from me.

To paraphrase the late, great Shock G "enjoywhutchyalike"