General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

I'm pretty sure the third Matrix film was the first time I ever fell asleep in the cinema. Fell asleep in the middle of some kind of big CGI space fight, woke up in the middle of same, with no idea how much time had passed in-between, and the story being so bollocks I never figured it out.

Not even a posh cinema with comfy chairs that I'd invariably fall asleep in now that I'm older and my brain's instinctive reaction to "nice movie + comfy chair" is to have a little sleep. A horrible folding Odeon chair. 

Edited by BomberPat

Matrix kept the leather industry afloat at the turn of the century with the amount of trench coats the goth kids bought round our way.

I did see it at the cinema when it was released but I’ve never seen it since and couldn’t tell you anything about other than the red pill/blue pill stuff and the rotating camera shot that was parodied to death, and that it’s standing was similar to that of Fight Club in that  if you didn’t like it you obviously “didn’t get it”

There has been a rewriting of history regarding the films in some quarters. Now we know the whole trans allegory some people no longer agree that the sequels are absolute dog shit, which they are, and the first one, whilst good, borrows a little too heavily from Dark City and has ridiculous dialogue. 

It’s always brilliant though whenever libertarian fight wing fuckwits use the red pill bollocks even though a pair of trans women came up with it. This was perfect. 

• Paid Members

the American right wing can't understand subtext, and barely understand text. It's true of The Matrix and Fight Club, of Reagan using "Born In The USA", of Trump supporters being amazed that Springsteen and Rage Against The Machine aren't on their side. But it goes back forever - the whole reason the Twilight Zone existed is that Rod Serling was getting his ideas censored and wasn't able to tell the stories he wanted, so he told them as sci-fi stories instead because he knew the censors would be too thick to realise the allegory. 

• Moderators

I rewatched the first one a few weeks back and I felt like it has stood up pretty well.  Of course there's some shit dialogue and Keanu can't act, but it's fun and there's some decent action set pieces.

It was never a film I was crazy about so I'd only seen it in the cinema and once after that until the rewatch, so I don't think I was coloured by nostalgia.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator

Summer of ‘99 in the cinema for me was Phantom Menace and The Mummy. I was aware of The Matrix being this really cool ‘best film of the summer’ hit but didn’t see the first one until around the time Reloaded came out - I remember the hype for that second one much more clearly. I saw the first one, liked but didn’t love it, but liked it enough to watch Reloaded at the cinema. That put me off seeing Revolutions until years after the fact. I have no strong feelings about a fourth one either way... I don’t recall much about the third, but didn’t it all get wrapped up neatly?

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don’t recall much about the third, but didn’t it all get wrapped up neatly?

The robot/human war was ended and Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss die so yeah, interested where the fuck the new one is going to go.

• Paid Members

I've never watched any of The Matrix movies. Not feeling that I've missed out on anything, despite my brother's repeated insistence that I should watch the first one. 

As Fight Club has been brought up in here too, add me to the "what's all the fuss about?" club. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

As Fight Club has been brought up in here too, add me to the "what's all the fuss about?" club. 

Fight Club is a pretty good but not great comedy about dumb toxic masculinity but unfortunately most people who watch it seem to think it's a super cool thriller with Brad Pitt being a badass, thus missing the entire point of the film while also proving the point of the film.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JohnKringler said:

Its mad that both sequels came out around the same year, right? 

No

22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Mad how the Wachowskis have only ever made one good film (Bound), and it was 25 years ago. Absolutely wasted their careers.

Speed Racer is completely underrated and ahead of its time. I’ve rewatched that more then The Matrix.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Speed Racer is completely underrated and ahead of its time.

I think Speed Racer is the perfect encapsulation of the Wachowskis when it comes to action cinema. They're absolutely only interested in how action scenes look and how pretty they are and not even slightly interested in *what* is happening in them. Looks great, but so what.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I think Speed Racer is the perfect encapsulation of the Wachowskis when it comes to action cinema. They're absolutely only interested in how action scenes look and how pretty they are and not even slightly interested in *what* is happening in them. Looks great, but so what.

It did introduce me to Roger Allam though so it will always have a place in my heart. But yeah, it’s possibly their most style over substance film (though never saw their later work), but then I don’t remember Speed Race the cartoon being known for its substance. 

Secretly I’m just hoping one day the toys I bought when Woolworths were closing down will be worth something.

Matrix Sense8? 

Looks camp as fuck but I'm digging it. Kept all the bits you'd want but it'd be mortifying to still have Y2K green tint and nu metal all over the soundtrack.