General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

On 11/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

There are a few films on there that weren't box office hits. But 2049 was hugely successful critically and with audiences that did see it. I don't see why it's such a stretch that it would be on there, especially considering it's a recent film.

Yeah, also since its release it has been more and more appreciated as a film. For a film magazine poll its going to appeal,

Considering that magazine polls tend to just be populist opinion and considering how much praise it got upon release, I’m genuinely surprised that Joker didn’t make into the list. Obviously it shouldn’t be placing higher than Paddington 2 in any situation, but still surprising

The Dark Knight at #4 though, Jesus Christ 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

A film that had terrible test screening scores and had re-shoots which didn’t improve the final products, won’t get a cinema release!?! 20th Century Fox cancelled Lady In The Window and sold that to Netflix rather then release it at the cinema. That was a pre Disney decision so it’s not unheard of.

The only disappointment in this story is the deeply awkward press tour it wouldn’t have been given. Hey, if your lucky and if they are able to sell it Netflix as twitter says, you don’t have to give old Uncle Walt your money. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Also, this jumper my 14yo just bought themselves for a school Christmas party.

617dMlmACAL._AC_UY580_.jpg.6f49c882d6187190f96eca995a180151.jpg

Glad to see someone in the Malcolm household has taste.

Slightly joking, I hate those fake christmas jumpers, mainly because it is just a cheap screen print, rather then a tacky all over print chsitmas jumper. But do love me some Danny Elfman, so atleast it is a good film to represnt..

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• 4 weeks later...

Peter Bogdanovich, director of The Last Picture Show and Paper Moon, has passed away aged 82. 

He was an at times snooty and very self-assured director not without his flaws, but he made some cracking films and played his role in my favourite era of American filmmaking (New Hollywood/the American New Wave). 

As well as the two aforementioned films, Targets, The Thing Called Love, Texasville and The Cat's Meow are also enjoyable in their ways. 

His exhaustive Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers documentary is fantastic, too. 

RIP. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jan/06/bruce-willis-films-ranked

Nope, this is all wrong.

By the way, Die Hard 2 and 3 are better than 1. Fucking fight me.

Have a word with yourself Bacon. 

3 is better than 2 but I'm not having 2 being claimed as better than the first. That's out of your tree talk, that is. 

39 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Have a word with yourself Bacon. 

3 is better than 2 but I'm not having 2 being claimed as better than the first. That's out of your tree talk, that is. 

I'll be honest, nostalgia plays a big part here. One of the first action films I saw was the copy my Dad taped off ITV (in two parts either side of the news) so that makes a difference. 

Plus I'm really not a massive fan of the first one. It's great, but I prefer the other two to be honest. 

Vengeance is close, but it will always be second best. As a kid I absolutely loved 3, but Rickman in the first and Willis being charming as fuck makes it the best.

That list is horse shit anyway as most of those from The Guardian are. THE LAST BOY SCOUT should always be in a Willis top 5. Joe Hallenbeck is his best character for me.