General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don’t remember Speed Race the cartoon being known for its substance. 

Perhaps not, I never watched it. And in that regard it was probably the perfect project for Lilly and Lana to take. That's not an excuse for how empty and pointless it is though.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Matrix Sense8? 

Looks camp as fuck but I'm digging it. Kept all the bits you'd want but it'd be mortifying to still have Y2K green tint and nu metal all over the soundtrack. 

I think it looks worse then expected. Almost like a fan tribute to the original but with a budget. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I've never watched any of The Matrix movies. Not feeling that I've missed out on anything, despite my brother's repeated insistence that I should watch the first one. 

As Fight Club has been brought up in here too, add me to the "what's all the fuss about?" club. 

The first rule of what's all the fuss about club is we don't talk about what's all the fuss about club.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think it looks worse then expected. Almost like a fan tribute to the original but with a budget. 

Not sure what you were expecting. We all know the sequels were shit. It's like the bazillion Avatar sequels. Just unnecessary. There's no depth there that requires any more films.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Not sure what you were expecting. We all know the sequels were shit. It's like the bazillion Avatar sequels. Just unnecessary. There's no depth there that requires any more films.

I think I was pretty transparent. I was not expecting it to look as shit as it did, especially after knowing they shit the bed on the sequels. Maybe having another go at a sequel meant trying to improve on what they did before, not doing some weird greatest hits with some new actors and some of the old ones.

I could never bring myself to watch The Matrix as it was always seemed to be the favourite film of fat lads in combat shorts who'd cry into their manga comics because girls didn't fancy them even though they had loads of rare Warhammer 40K and a sick samurai sword collection.

It's got to the point now where I've seen all the main bits a million times because it's so ingrained into pop culture that there's no real point in watching it.

5 hours ago, JohnKringler said:

Its mad that both sequels came out around the same year, right? 

They were released 6 months apart. 

I'm not gonna watch that trailer as there seems to be too much footage in it from what I've been told and I want to go in blind.

Big up Miss Just my English teacher in year 10 for sacking off Of Mice And Men for two days and instead showing us The Matrix.

Almost enough to forgive her for stealing the idea about a sad lost discarded mobile phone who gets a new lease of life from me, and selling it to Carphone Warehouse for those adverts....or so I reckon.

Really liked the first Matrix.

Enjoyed Reloaded through a fog of confusion right up until they meet Colonel Sanders which absolutely lost me.

Revolutions was so portentous, overblown and EPIC that it became everything that the first film wasn't. I went to see it with a mate and we laughed pretty much all the way through.

I have a soft spot for when filmmakers make objectively bad, masturbatory movies purely for their inner 13 year old and Revolutions feels like one of those.

This new one could be fun if they can find a way to clean up the absolute mess they made of their own mythology. It could also be Terminator: Genysis.

The first Matrix is a perfect time capsule for that time period. I think it's easy to forget how big a deal it was, because so many of its elements having become tropes or parodied to fuck. I agree that there's probably been a great deal of retconning and shoehorning of subtext that wasn't in the original, but the world it created was iconic. The central conceit of the film is just a really good sci fi premise (the world's a video game, and you can be and do anything you want if you just believe). The action is still top notch, and as much as the slow mo and bullet time camera spinning might feel cheesy now, the single-take hand to hand exchanges are still incredible. I've seen it a dozen times, but watching Neo realise he can defend himself against Agent Smith with one arm still gives me chills. The subsequent films fell off a fucking cliff, disappearing up their mythology and essentially turning Neo into a plot cipher who achieves nothing, but the world is definitely worth revisiting with newer, older eyes and a different culture.

The trailer is clearly playing the hits - 20 years on, I'd expect them to push it like this with a refresher of the bits everyone liked rather than the later stuff. It'll probably be a bit meta, with the idea of aging Neo revisiting his youth. It's all a bit gun- and rocket-heavy, so I wonder how much choreographed one-shot combat we'll actually be seeing from Reeves and the rest. I do like that the world they're in looks and feels more like our own, rather than the flat CGI sandbox that the films very quickly became.

So it's definitely got me interested. 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Keanu can't act,

HEAVY SIGH...I will not bite. Also don't tell me you don't cry at the HARDBALL funeral scene.

The second MANY SAINTS OF NEWARK trailer came out as well the other day. I don't think I've looked forward to a film more in a looooong time. Looks like it carries the same tone of the series and you know that soundtrack is going to be a banger.

Edited by Factotum

Has there been any talk of why Lilly isn't working on it?

I've never been a big fan of the sisters work but I did enjoy seeing one of them telling Elon to fuck himself. It's been Interesting to see how the Matrix films have been reclaimed over the past few years by queer circles and the sisters saying they're practically an allegory to being trans.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Has there been any talk of why Lilly isn't working on it?

She basically can't be bothered. Good enough reason for me.

The Matrix sequels are very similar to the Star Wars prequels that came out at a similar time. If you just look at the bare basic story and ideas it all sounds really great but in reality they are dull as fuck. Filled with endless boring weird dialogue, loads of supporting characters who have no personality whatsoever, characters doing nothing, huge action scenes that are mainly bad special effects and have absolutely zero stakes, weird convoluted tangents. It's remarkable how alike they are.

Didn't Lilly actually say that she didn't want to revisit that period of her life? I don't think it was simply "she couldn't be bothered."

I have a mixed relationship with The Matrix. I actually found the first one really boring and drab. I like all the ideas when they're written down or someone describes them in a YouTube review but the films leave me cold. 

I much prefer World on a Wire which is obviously far less spectacular. 

That said there's some interesting discussions around the 'queerness' of The Matrix films that has made me want to revisit them as I don't think I'd have picked up on some of that at the time. 

I'm also well up for 1/2 (well, however many really) members of the LGBTQ+ community making big bold science fiction action movies that make fascist idiots look like even bigger idiots when they try and quote it. So even if previous ones have bored me I'm tempted to go see the new one.