General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Never cared for Space Jam. Wrong age when it came out. So when they announced the sequel would actually get made, I gave no fucks. Then this was released today. And now Iā€™m interestedĀ 

Spoiler

Basically add the Iron Giant or King Kong in a film and Iā€™ll watch. Itā€™s basically Ready Player Jam and Iā€™m ok with that.

Ā 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Probably have to screengrab it, but Iā€™m sure you could some White Walkers in that crowd in addition to the Droogs

And there are moreĀ https://movieweb.com/space-jam-2-cameos-trailer-footage/?fbclid=IwAR0SMiT1hfJw7Bdx-sbAN9MeWRYvWlrtOJ_nm29y_yeLBCL1JapX792JILE

This is well worth a read with a brew, despite there being one or two inclusions which I'm not sure about and one which I'm convinced is a joke.

I think I've only seen a handful of these films, although as I'm always pointing out to a friend who is constantly saying "You HAVE to see this", I really don't. I'm too busy rewatching Major League.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/the-best-movie-performances-of-the-century-so-far

Some excellent pieces on that website, and I found that one by subscribing to Nicole Davis newsletter which is great for anyone interested in that sort of thing. Bit industry heavy but always interesting.

Ā 

• Paid Members

In the Loop turned up on iPlayer. It's a bit weird to see some of the characters from The Thick Of It playing different characters. Not as odd as seeing Anna Chlumsky from off of out of My Girl and My Girl 2 as an adult.Ā 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

In the Loop turned up on iPlayer. It's a bit weird to see some of the characters from The Thick Of It playing different characters. Not as odd as seeing Anna Chlumsky from off of out of My Girl and My Girl 2 as an adult.Ā 

I love In The Loop, though. There's a scene in the UN prayer room, where Malcolm Tucker thinks that everything's fucked, and it's just a long, tight close up on Capaldi's eyes, and you can really see the machinations as he moves from vulnerability to figuring it out and getting back in full Malcolm Tucker mood. It's a phenomenal bit of acting.

Ā 

I hated the Space Jam trailer. I don't get why they needed to go Ready Player One with all this multiverse crap, rather than just retaining the logic of the initial film - there's the real world and a cartoon world, that's that. Why do we need naff CGI and Clockwork Orange droogs on top of that? More than anything though, it just seemed really po-faced. If there's any movie that shouldn't be taking itself remotely seriously, it's a sequel to sodding Space Jam made 25 years after the fact.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I love In The Loop, though. There's a scene in the UN prayer room, where Malcolm Tucker thinks that everything's fucked, and it's just a long, tight close up on Capaldi's eyes, and you can really see the machinations as he moves from vulnerability to figuring it out and getting back in full Malcolm Tucker mood. It's a phenomenal bit of acting.

Ā 

I hated the Space Jam trailer. I don't get why they needed to go Ready Player One with all this multiverse crap, rather than just retaining the logic of the initial film - there's the real world and a cartoon world, that's that. Why do we need naff CGI and Clockwork Orange droogs on top of that? More than anything though, it just seemed really po-faced. If there's any movie that shouldn't be taking itself remotely seriously, it's a sequel to sodding Space Jam made 25 years after the fact.

Because then you can do origin movies & spin-offsĀ for every man his dog. Thatā€™s how things are now, every one gets a movie or a series. Just look at how many Star Wars projects are in the pipeline

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

It's weird that the producers cutĀ Pepe Le Pew fromĀ the movie but are fine with the Droogs from Clockwork Orange.

Itā€™s not really. They are background characters from an adult film. Pepe Le Pew is a cartoon character aimed at kids. Absolutely not comparable situations.

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Itā€™s not really. They are background characters from an adult film. Pepe Le Pew is a cartoon character aimed at kids. Absolutely not comparable situations.

Yeah sure... Lets see... One is a aĀ gang of violent and vicious rapist... And the other is a love struck cartoon character... I can totally understand why they decided to cut the cartoon character!

I also saw Pennywise and the Joker among others... If this movie is aimed at kids, and thats the reason Pepe Le Pew isn't in it because he's considered "trouble" makes you wonder why all these characters, who just happen to be mass murderers areĀ  considered okay for this movie...