General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members

My understanding is that for WW84 at least it's going to HBO Max for one month. Then after that being taken down and given a general release with selective cinema screenings and on other platforms to rent like amazon and iTunes. I assume they will use that model for everything.

10 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

Any chance of getting HBO Max over here?

You can try the VPN route, but even then I think you need a US credit card to sign up. That SKY/HBO deal really fucked us over

It is a smart move though, getting loads of people to at the very least try your streaming service and I’d imagine a few chunk will keep subscriptions depending on how far apart the big releases are

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator

Here's a release schedule I pinched off reddit 

• Wonder Woman 1984 (December 25, 2020)

• The Little Things (January 29, 2021)

• Tom & Jerry (March 5, 2021)

• The Many Saints of Newark (March 12, 2021)

• Reminiscence (April 16, 2021)

• Godzilla vs. Kong (May 21, 2021)

• The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It (June 4, 2021)

• In the Heights (June 18, 2021)

• Space Jam: A New Legacy (July 16, 2021)

• The Suicide Squad (August 6, 2021)

• Dune (October 1, 2021)

• Elvis (November 5, 2021)

• King Richard (November 19, 2021)

• The Matrix 4 (December 22, 2021)

• Sherlock Holmes 3 (December 22, 2021)

• Judas and the Black Messiah (TBA 2021)

• Cry Macho (TBA 2021)

• Malignant (TBA  2021)

• Mortal Kombat (TBA 2021)

So yeah generally spaced out enough to encourage the monthly re-up. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

Can't help but laugh at the narrative being put out by some that Warner are doing this from a position of 'we must protect our customers from potentially dangerous cinema visits!' (reminder that not a single Covid case has been directly linked to being transmitted at a UK cinema during the recent reopening) rather than from a 'this might make us more money' position.

Absolutely none of the big studios would ever have existed without cinemas. They are utterly integral to the artform of filmmaking. This is a terrible announcement, really.

• Paid Members

HBOMax isn't doing too hot so this will most likely boost subscribers and keep shareholders happy for the meantime. But yeah it's pretty shit for anyone who likes going to the cinema. Also means all these movies will feel pretty insignificant and be forgotten about a week after release like everything on streaming services. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Also means all these movies will feel pretty insignificant and be forgotten about a week after release like everything on streaming services. 

This is a pretty key point, I think. Only a handful of streaming only releases have really seen any kind of longevity in their popularity. Most notably The Irishman. Lots of really good films have been forgotten or ignored, mainly because Netflix especially is largely dreadful at hyping their future releases.

Then again, looking at that list, probably over half of them will deserve obscurity.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

HBOMax isn't doing too hot so this will most likely boost subscribers and keep shareholders happy for the meantime. But yeah it's pretty shit for anyone who likes going to the cinema. Also means all these movies will feel pretty insignificant and be forgotten about a week after release like everything on streaming services. 

It's important to note these films all get a cinema release as well. So for your Devon's of the world, you still have the option of seeing it as intended if you wish. There are certainly a few on that schedule I would have popped to see at Cineworld, but also all these films need to make profit. Disney have been quiet about how Mulan did on premium access. That was projected to do anywhere between $400 to $800 million and cost around $200m to make. So they need a lot of people buying that to see a return. HBO Max are putting these on at no additional cost, so this will be very interesting to see if it works out.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It's important to note these films all get a cinema release as well. So for your Devon's of the world, you still have the option of seeing it as intended if you wish.

I did know this, for clarity!

But anyone not thinking this won't seriously reduce business at the cinema is crazy. Most cinema goers are not ravenous film nerds like me whose only social life is going to the Printworks. If many people have a choice between staying at home and being able to pause it when they need a slash or having to actually leave their home, they will obviously choose the former.

I hope this is a massive failure but then Warner will probably get bought out by Disney. Lose, lose.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

36 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

But anyone not thinking this won't seriously reduce business at the cinema is crazy. Most cinema goers are not ravenous film nerds like me whose only social life is going to the Printworks. If many people have a choice between staying at home and being able to pause it when they need a slash or having to actually leave their home, they will obviously choose the former.

I hope this is a massive failure but then Warner will probably get bought out by Disney. Lose, lose.

Unfortunately I think it’s the next big step in the transition to all streaming media. As a consumer, film lover and dad to 5 kids (in that order) it’s absolutely great for me but at the same time I realise what it takes away from the craft. Netflix has some absolutely belting content and the aforementioned The Irishman is the jewel in it’s crown but I find that lots of it’s releases, even bigger ones have a dtv/movie of the week feel to them and it’d be shit if that seeps in to the blockbuster territory.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I completely agree. Cinema was my outlet pre Covid. I didn’t go back because there was nothing I wanted to see at Cineworld and when they do re-open I will probably return, but I don’t see my pass being bought for a while yet. I’ll just be going to see event films most likely. The other consequence is budgets. If they don’t see a ROI, the likelihood is less films and others having budgets cut.

Warner is too big for Disney to buy outright, they’ve also made huge losses (around $2b on closed theme parks alone) so they won’t splash the cash. It also wouldn’t pass competition laws either. But whose to say for someone will come in should that be the case. The main positive is HBO Max is US only and most films make their money outside the US nowadays