General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

Posted this in the Disney+ thread, but it might get more traffic in here.

Pixar’s latest, Soul which was meant to be out in June, and was scheduled for a November cinema release, but is being rushed to streaming, available on Christmas Day, and won’t be Premium Access like Mulan was

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I am disappointed because this was the first Pixar with a black lead character and mainly black cast, so feel it deserved the big deal release. But I suppose at the same time, how long are they able to delay the film for when the release dates for the studios next year are pretty much already full (plus, I guess there is a shit load of merchandise to sell as well)

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'd argue that it's not one of those huge 'cinema releases' so I can see why they've made that decision. It's one of those that would be nice to see at the cinema but not a make or break like your Bonds, Marvel etc.

Granted. But in a normal world that would have been a ÂŁ300-600 million dollar box office easy. It's not making that money back by skipping the cinema and being put on the regular Disney+ tier. Even Mulan being put on premier access is estimated to have made somewhere between $97 and $200 million in its opening week, it's hard to see how Soul will get profitable

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'd argue that it's not one of those huge 'cinema releases' so I can see why they've made that decision. It's one of those that would be nice to see at the cinema but not a make or break like your Bonds, Marvel etc.

When was the last Pixar box office flop?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

When was the last Pixar box office flop?

5 years ago with The Last Dinosaur which was their first to ever make a loss at $332 million after taking away production costs and marketing. 

It was The Good Dinosaur, had it on  once, bored after 20 minutes. Never tried again.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

5 years ago with The Last Dinosaur which was their first to ever make a loss at $332 million after taking away production costs and marketing. 

So their box office record is pretty amazing, then? Suggesting that a Pixar release is almost always a huge event. I mean, Coco did amazing business despite a comparatively low key release. To suggest a Pixar film isn't  an A-list event is daft.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

So their box office record is pretty amazing, then? Suggesting that a Pixar release is almost always a huge event. I mean, Coco did amazing business despite a comparatively low key release. To suggest a Pixar film isn't  an A-list event is daft.

Oh, 100%. Whilst Onward was a pretty weak effort, it still made $144 million in 2 weeks, and during the 2 weeks it was open for, Cinemas were already closing or people had started to avoid them as Covid started to take effect. Whilst it isn't Bond or Marvel, they still make as much, sometimes more then those films do anyway. Would it have done better then Tenet at the cinema with the current restrictions? Almost certainly. Probably would have made more sense as well

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Granted. But in a normal world that would have been a ÂŁ300-600 million dollar box office easy. It's not making that money back by skipping the cinema and being put on the regular Disney+ tier. Even Mulan being put on premier access is estimated to have made somewhere between $97 and $200 million in its opening week, it's hard to see how Soul will get profitable

Maybe they're just doing it to be nice. Walt Disney was a top, top lad by all accounts.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I’ll just point out that the Pixar dino film was The Good Dinosaur.

This dude was the Last Dinosaur.

93AE14B5-6401-47BC-AD97-89F8AB9282F1.jpeg.698539b6de7c2b7c8bbd4b1251370c5e.jpeg

Exactly. And maybe had they gone with this, it would have been the next hot franchise. Instead, poor mans Land Before Time

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I think if you go even further back, the two Planes movies performed worse than The Good Dinosaur. I know that they weren’t full Pixar movies, but they were at the very least involved as it was a Cars spin-off

Direct to Video nonsense. Though the second got a small cinema release but they aren’t Pixar. They are Disney Toon Studios who made all the direct to video cash grab sequels.