General Movie (Film for snobs) News Thread

CaptainCharisma

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The main positive is HBO Max is US only and most films make their money outside the US nowadays 

Overseas business is no positive. Hollywood is chasing Chinese money big time and the Chinese seem to only be interested in the shittest CG filled crappiest dumb movies. If you hate modern blockbusters the drive for China business is only making them worse.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Overseas business is no positive. Hollywood is chasing Chinese money big time and the Chinese seem to only be interested in the shittest CG filled crappiest dumb movies. If you hate modern blockbusters the drive for China business is only making them worse.

I disagree, only because those big budget blockbusters need to recoup their budgets. But your smaller budget flicks normally do fine without China anyway.

Andi hope you’re not trying to don’t besmirch Fast and Furious, my guilty pleasure franchise in that summary.

• Paid Members

New Kickstarter trailer from director Oliver Harper (In Search For The Last Action Hero doc)

Street Fighter 2 - Here Comes A New Challenger documentary.

Full disclosure my mate is the cinematographer/editor. The kickstarter only just launched.

LINK to Here Comes A New Challenger Kickstarter

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can't help but laugh at the narrative being put out by some that Warner are doing this from a position of 'we must protect our customers from potentially dangerous cinema visits!' (reminder that not a single Covid case has been directly linked to being transmitted at a UK cinema during the recent reopening) rather than from a 'this might make us more money' position.

Absolutely none of the big studios would ever have existed without cinemas. They are utterly integral to the artform of filmmaking. This is a terrible announcement, really.

They'll go back to the cinema model as soon as they can. Tenet bombing has shit them all up but they are going to lose hard no matter what they do. Wonder Woman made a billion dollars at the box office and they had pushed this one hard before the world turned to shit and were probably expecting the same. They'll be lucky to make even half that through streaming and limited release. 

I'm more curious about King Kong vs Godzilla. It was filmed before the last Godzilla film, was supposed to be released a year ago and no one has seen a frame of it yet. How often does that happen with a big blockbuster film

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I'm more curious about King Kong vs Godzilla. It was filmed before the last Godzilla film, was supposed to be released a year ago and no one has seen a frame of it yet. How often does that happen with a big blockbuster film

Well if it's as dog shit as the last Godzilla film then that might be why.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, chokeout said:

I quite liked the last Godzilla film and thought it was an upgrade on its boring predecessor. But Adam Wingard on this new one? Surely by now we all know The Guest was a truly great fluke. I'd be amazed it this wasn't terrible.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Godzilla v Kong was filmed in 2018, King of the Monsters in 2017. The only thing that’s odd is, as you said, no trailers even though the toys have been out for the last few months. I loved Skull Island, thought Godzilla was dull though and not seen KotM yet. But I’m a sucker for a Kong film.

• Paid Members

If it's anywhere near as good as Skull Island I'll be happy. The Godzilla's were either boring or an utter mess. Skull Island was a great monster movie.

Edited by DEF

On 12/3/2020 at 8:54 PM, Cod Eye said:

Any chance of getting HBO Max over here?

It would surprise me if we get the full HBO Max service in the UK anytime soon because of their agreement with Sky. Although most of the programming will probably end up on either Sky Atlantic or Sky Comedy. For example Sky has just purchased the rights for The Fresh Prince to air on Sky Comedy from January and it includes the Reunion show that's available on Max. Although it seems odd why Sky splashed the cash on The Fresh Prince knowing that the BBC was going to add the full boxset to the iPlayer from January also.

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested, Arrow’s streaming service which launched in the US last year is now available here too (you can still add it as an additional channel on Amazon Prime).

You can get a 30 Day trial and they’re offering the first 3 months after the trial for half price (£2.49p/m, £4.99p/m afterwards)

https://www.arrow-player.com

Edited by WyattSheepMask