AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

I'm a bit fed up with "yeah, maybe AEW did hire a guy who was a nasty piece of work but WWE does it too" as an argument to be honest. 

I agree with the argument that wrestling is better with an alternative, but that also means that wrestling would be better with a company that is an alternative backstage as well as onscreen. They could have created a promotion that encouraged wrestlers to unionise, that gave all wrestlers medical insurance, that had strict hiring policies, etc. They could have had a company that created an amiable workplace with mediation and a decent HR that stopped wrestlers from getting into scraps like it's still the 70s. They could have offered a true alternative for the wrestlers. And yeah, they've done some good things, just as WWE has over the years, but they could do more. But I'd imagine most people on here don't compare their moral standard to Jeffrey Dahmer and go "well, I'm better than him." And if you do judge the morality of AEW on a sliding scale you can't then grumble about other people's sliding scales allowing more shite than yours. You can't go, I've ignored 5 examples of shit behaviour over 5 years but you've ignored 50 over 50 years so you're clearly a fanboy. That's not how it works. 

It's that kind of bullshit logic that led to wrestling fans calling Bradshaw a bully while Benoit was chopping the shit out of Daniel Puder and encouraging people to exercise until they puke. 

I'm not saying you have to boycot your favourite promotion, or not buy their shit, but just don't use shit arguments to brush it away. You can criticise AEW for getting things wrong and still be a fan of WWE. You just have to acknowledge that both are shit and, like all human beings, you're shit too. But maybe, just maybe, if enough people point out that something is shit than that'll trickle and eventually it'll be slightly less shit. 

2 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I'm a bit fed up with "yeah, maybe AEW did hire a guy who was a nasty piece of work but WWE does it too" as an argument to be honest. 

I agree with the argument that wrestling is better with an alternative, but that also means that wrestling would be better with a company that is an alternative backstage as well as onscreen. They could have created a promotion that encouraged wrestlers to unionise, that gave all wrestlers medical insurance, that had strict hiring policies, etc. They could have had a company that created an amiable workplace with mediation and a decent HR that stopped wrestlers from getting into scraps like it's still the 70s. They could have offered a true alternative for the wrestlers. And yeah, they've done some good things, just as WWE has over the years, but they could do more. But I'd imagine most people on here don't compare their moral standard to Jeffrey Dahmer and go "well, I'm better than him." And if you do judge the morality of AEW on a sliding scale you can't then grumble about other people's sliding scales allowing more shite than yours. You can't go, I've ignored 5 examples of shit behaviour over 5 years but you've ignored 50 over 50 years so you're clearly a fanboy. That's not how it works. 

It's that kind of bullshit logic that led to wrestling fans calling Bradshaw a bully while Benoit was chopping the shit out of Daniel Puder and encouraging people to exercise until they puke. 

I'm not saying you have to boycot your favourite promotion, or not buy their shit, but just don't use shit arguments to brush it away. You can criticise AEW for getting things wrong and still be a fan of WWE. You just have to acknowledge that both are shit and, like all human beings, you're shit too. But maybe, just maybe, if enough people point out that something is shit than that'll trickle and eventually it'll be slightly less shit. 

Bang on! That’s why AEW has been so disappointing. When it was launched it sounded like the complete antithesis to WWE in terms of workplace environment and employee wellbeing, but it was all bluster. 

Thankfully we don’t really have the tribalism here. The most ardent AEW fan won’t hesitate in saying something is shit and people who don’t like WWE will not hold back heaping praise on a great storyline or segment. 

It’s all about consistency. 

• Paid Members

So who on the AEW roster would people like to have more visibility, now this show is confirmed?

The first one that came to mind is Rush. Horrible, vicious, scary man. He's got the potential to be a top heel. If anything, Andrade coming back feels like it could hold Rush back. I don't want to see Rush in a fucking stairwell, mumbling about contracts.

Swerve Strickland's the other. Fuck off all this bullshit and push him to the moon as a singles star.

On the babyface side, I hope this allows John Silver to start appearing more regularly. The best hot tag in the business, he hits a home run with whatever he's given. It's always felt unfair how Silver played such a huge part in carrying the company during the pandemic, only to be brushed to one side once the NXT rejects started flooding in. Genuinely funny, too. Get him mixing it up with Danhauen, Mark Briscoe, Planet Jarrett, Daddy Magic, etc. Fully commit to the goofball division. Who doesn't want to see these idiots going out on day trips together? The moment the plane lands in London they should sending them all out on Boris Bikes to tit about.

My biggest fear is Jim Ross at the desk, back to sulking his way through two hours of television. No thanks. It’s Saturday night! It’s party time! There are only two men for the job.

647F51C8-9548-4A9C-875A-BC999D5574E2.gif.650ddb6f21107fa7638641c0dd71be49.gif 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Would love to see Paul and Daddy Magic with Excalibur. Keep JR relegated to Rampage.

Wrestler wise, I’m excited to see Miro back and what they might do with him. Not arsed about Andrade, but agree with more Rush, he’s always impressed me.

• Paid Members

Thanks Red / Scorch.

A new show might be a good place to try and dip back in if I can see it. I was quite keen for dynamite truth be told, hoping to get the spark back into watching wrestling on the regular but that first match with Cody and someone drove me off. I tried again but it was Derby Allen being super shit and it just killed me.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Thanks Red / Scorch.

A new show might be a good place to try and dip back in if I can see it. I was quite keen for dynamite truth be told, hoping to get the spark back into watching wrestling on the regular but that first match with Cody and someone drove me off. I tried again but it was Derby Allen being super shit and it just killed me.

Honestly last nights Dynamite is a good place to start, setting up the PPV next week with some great matches and stories being told. And this will probably have some ramifications to Collision.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

So who on the AEW roster would people like to have more visibility, now this show is confirmed?

Some people on here seem to dislike him these days, but Eddie Kingston. Dynamite is a lesser show for not having him on it. MJF vs Eddie Kingston could be a tremendous feud, if they chose to go ahead with it. 

I’d like to see Penta and Fenix get pushed at a higher level. Both have main event potential as singles stars, and I’m surprised Tony Khan does not appear to feel that way.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Some people on here seem to dislike him these days, but Eddie Kingston. Dynamite is a lesser show for not having him on it. MJF vs Eddie Kingston could be a tremendous feud, if they chose to go ahead with it. 

I’d like to see Penta and Fenix get pushed at a higher level. Both have main event potential as singles stars, and I’m surprised Tony Khan does not appear to feel that way.

I think the visa issues probably plays a part in that. But I agree they have certainly seemed to be less relevant to the shows. Although maybe they are going to beat the BCC for the tag belts which would be interesting 

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Jericho.  I really don’t feel like they’ve put him on tv enough recently 😐

In all seriousness, I’d like to see them get whatever ROH title Samoa Joe is holding at the moment off him, and put him in a prominent position on proper tv.

I don’t give a single fuck about ROH, and it’s been boring as shit to see it diluting AEW programming.  Joe however is great, so let’s stop booking him on Tony Khan’s vanity project and get him slapping the shit out of people on Collision.

• Paid Members

BIG BILL! 

I love the man. He's fantastic. Perfectly blends being an arrogant, cocky, dominant big man with being a sneaky, cowardly dickhead.

If Santana is coming back obviously he needs a decent slot, whether that's as a singles or with Ortiz. He's definitely got something to him.

My boy, the Murderhawk Lance Archer needs another good run. He's always lots of fun and there's lots of untapped crazy matches they've got just sitting there.

Also I'd love the extra time to be used for more fun, character building stuff. Put Hey(EW)! on it. All those skits the undercard guys do for various blogs, polish them up and put them on telly.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chili said:

Never put Hey(Ew!) on TV. It's a joy and a live setting with any live crowd would ruin it. Too much of a good thang.

Agreed. I don't think it would work on TV it's a bit to long and too unstructured (which is part of the joy of it) and far too tongue-in-cheek for the audience to grasp en masse I suspect. More RJ City on TV would be excellent however, just perhaps in a different role. Get him on commentary! The fact RJ is also a wrestler, despite not being portrayed as such on AEW TV also opens the door for more occasional future physical angles when needed, if he's featured on TV. 

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

All those skits the undercard guys do for various blogs, polish them up and put them on telly.

This I 100% agree with though! Giving the undercard more defined, outside-the-box storylines given they now have a generous amount of TV time would be a great addition.