AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Is CM Punk actually a ticket selling draw outside of doing returns in his home city? Or at least to anywhere near the numbers these Chicago shows make out? 
I imagine any of the bigger name wrestlers could strop off for a while and then do a comeback show at home and sell it out.

I guess if the ripple effect on the other dates that were selling VERY poorly on first release. Either a mix of anticipation or not knowing if this gonna end up like rampage did 

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I've said it before, but I don't understand at all why they've not reformed Men of the Year (unless Sky and Page hate one another in real life or something) - they were a top level act, and would contribute much more to the company than Sky and Page do as singles stars. 

Yeah Men of The Year were (like most of the roster) massively underutilised. Also Scorpio Sky offers barely anything worthwhile as a singles guy and is unworthy of the multiple singles pushes he's had, but with Ethan Page he actually seemed to find the perfect niche.

As for CM Punk drawing ratings/selling tickets...yeah ratings and ticket sales were better when he was there but the product as a whole was much better and hotter too so I think it's pretty hard to determine. It's not like ratings and tickets massively dropped off when he was off TV, it's been a very slow and steady decline.

26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah Men of The Year were (like most of the roster) massively underutilised. Also Scorpio Sky offers barely anything worthwhile as a singles guy and is unworthy of the multiple singles pushes he's had, but with Ethan Page he actually seemed to find the perfect niche.

As for CM Punk drawing ratings/selling tickets...yeah ratings and ticket sales were better when he was there but the product as a whole was much better and hotter too so I think it's pretty hard to determine. It's not like ratings and tickets massively dropped off when he was off TV, it's been a very slow and steady decline.

I'd also say that it might not necessarily have been Punk not being there that caused the drop, but the fact that the manner of his departure threw months of planned programming up in the air, leading to unfocussed, fast-tracked, chaotic shows. Couple that with WWE finding their feet again, and it wouldn't surprise me if some wrestling fans, having to choose at that time and leading into Mania season, turned over to WWE and haven't come back. I wouldn't blame them - AEW can be hit and miss at the best of times, and it's arguably taken from Punk's departure to just a month or so ago to start hitting a stride again.

Count me as another person who enjoyed the Men of the Year. Great chemistry and Sky started showing a lot. Ethan Page I've always enjoyed because he's a nice enough bloke who plays that jock who never grew up dickhead. He's solid good midcard, great stuff with Darby.

• Paid Members
Just now, CavemanLynn said:

I'd also say that it might not necessarily have been Punk not being there that caused the drop, but the fact that the manner of his departure threw months of planned programming up in the air, leading to unfocussed, fast-tracked, chaotic shows.

Yep, and the weird black cloud the Punk stuff left over the shows really tainted them I think. Dynamite used to be carefree and fun but there was a weird unpleasant vibe for awhile that probably put people off.

8 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Is CM Punk actually a ticket selling draw outside of doing returns in his home city? Or at least to anywhere near the numbers these Chicago shows make out? 
I imagine any of the bigger name wrestlers could strop off for a while and then do a comeback show at home and sell it out.

When he first came in, for a while, as I recall he *did* have a positive effect on ticket sales, as well as TV ratings and PPV buys. But, as @LaGoosh says, he was also the impetus for a decline in all of those metrics when he created that black cloud over the company (although you can't put it all on him as there were definite booking issues beyond him).

One hand buzzing for something to watch a Sunday morning as I lay in bed, other hand gutted at the amount of ratings chat it’s going to cause when it’s not comparable to any other show given when it’s on 

Just now, Louch said:

One hand buzzing for something to watch a Sunday morning as I lay in bed, other hand gutted at the amount of ratings chat it’s going to cause when it’s not comparable to any other show given when it’s on 

So ignore it? Who cares?

14 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So ignore it? Who cares?

It’s hard to ignore when it clogs up so much space where you want to read about and discuss a show when it’s means so little week on week. 

1 minute ago, Louch said:

It’s hard to ignore when it clogs up so much space where you want to read about and discuss a show when it’s means so little week on week. 

Fortunately Saturday ratings don't come out until late Monday/early Tuesdays. Gives a bit of a cushion. Rather than next day Dynamite judgments.