I really enjoyed Dynamite. Thought it flowed well, mostly and had a couple of great matches (OC/Swerve and the tornado tag). If the Gunns are joining BC Gold, I think that's a great move.

I imagine the reason they aren't going for Joe vs Punk one-on-one or just a Punk vs someone match on the first episode of Collision is two fold: first, he is not going to be in ring shape, cardio wise, as it's been so long and secondly that they reckon Punk's first singles match back will help sell a PPV.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I don't think anyone knows the answer as to what will fix things

Consistently well booked shows that focus and highlight the best talents with great matches, promos and angles every week. AEW have done this in the recent past to great success so it's no mystery.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

I just wish he could find a decent name.

Ah well, it's a bit of a thinker you see. Once it clicks it makes loads of sense.

So his name is William, right. However, due to the number of syllables and the name "William" sometimes sounding a little bit archaic to modern ears, this is shortened by some users of the name William to the shorter and less formal sounding "Bill".   So that's where the "Bill" comes in.

However, that is not the only thing we know about him. What we can also observe is that he is a man of considerable size. If you surveyed 100 people to choose a descriptor for him selecting from the multiple choices "Small", "average" and "big", you'd find that the vast majority of them would go with the latter.

The marriage of those two ideas in perfect harmony is what has led us to this name. 

Hope this helps. 

19 minutes ago, JLM said:

Ah well, it's a bit of a thinker you see. Once it clicks it makes loads of sense.

So his name is William, right. However, due to the number of syllables and the name "William" sometimes sounding a little bit archaic to modern ears, this is shortened by some users of the name William to the shorter and less formal sounding "Bill".   So that's where the "Bill" comes in.

However, that is not the only thing we know about him. What we can also observe is that he is a man of considerable size. If you surveyed 100 people to choose a descriptor for him selecting from the multiple choices "Small", "average" and "big", you'd find that the vast majority of them would go with the latter.

The marriage of those two ideas in perfect harmony is what has led us to this name. 

Hope this helps. 

Wait a minute...

OK, I think I got it.

My point was, since he ditched variations on Big Cass, W. Morrissey and Big Bill just haven't struck me as catchy, interesting, marquee names. Big Bill is the kind of name you'd give an aw-shucks yokel character, not a chiseled tower of man. Even the Big Cass name only gets a pass because that was the name he had when he first came into view.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Cole is just so rubbish and MJF pointing out all his flaws and being absolutely correct with all of them was painful to watch

Haven't watched yet, but I am hoping that, "Sweetheart" according to Punk, Cole is taken to Collision and I don't have him taking up anymore Dynamite AEW time. Really boring/uncreative/unoriginal, don't care how much of a great guy he is in real life, that won't make up for his usually dull screen time. 

OC vs Swerve is the first AEW thing I've been excited for in ages. And as a match it delivered. I was biting on them nearfalls towards the end. A refreshingly good and simple story, with OC the valiant fighting champion finally biting off more than he can chew. The logical end point of his fabulous reign was right there, with the red hot heel Swerve's momentum finally being realised.

Cue the usual TK bollocks of a cowardly, non-committal finish, post match beatdown and LigHTs oUt!! as another feud gets dragged beyond all meaning. Shite.

Big Bill is the closest either promotion has had to a proper wrestling name in ages. Although whenever someone says it I do have a split second where I assume that's their personal nickname for Goldberg. 

• Paid Members

Overall - T'riffic Dynamite! Lots to get excited about at the moment heading Forbidden Door, Collision and beyond. Some top matches tonight and some top promos too. Dynamite is certainly in fine fettle at the moment. 

👍 Orange Cassidy vs Swerve Strickland - Every time 'Jane' plays at the start of Dynamite it gets the juices flowing, because you know you're about to watch a banger and one of the best wrestlers in the entire world at the moment do his thing. The match itself was tremendous - an absolute ripper with Swerve more than playing his part as the heel foil for Cassidy. The psychology around Cassidy's body getting more and more beaten up with each defence of his title is masterful storytelling and it's only going to get better until he finally hands over the strap. Great stuff, perfect way to open Dynamite this week. 

👍 BCC vs Chaos - Fiercely energetic six-man with an enjoyable conclusion. Barretta's moonsault to the outside being met with a Claudio uppercut and then the submission reversal in the middle of the ring were absolute poetry. Two for two in terms of great matches in the first half of the show. 

👍 Adam Cole/MJF business - Tasty verbal exchange here, playing up to each other's respective histories before throwing out the personal barbs. Cole's line about them both pissing into a cup to see who's natural? Blimey. Bang up for the title match when it happens. 

👍 JungleHook vs Vance/Dralistico - Another energetic and violent tag team affair. Three for three in terms of good matches from the show. 

👍 Takeshita/Callis business - Takeshita's squash was fine and Callis' promo was great again in terms of getting the crowd riled up. The one trouble I think they'll need to think about addressing - so far all of the heat is on Callis and not so much on Takeshita. Long-term, they'll want to transition that slightly. Still, more good stuff here. 

👍 TBS title - Another good'un. Taking the TBS title off of Jade Cargill and putting it on KS looks to be an inspired move. Anna Jay put in another relatively good showing here and looks to be improving all the time. 

👎 Jay White vs Ricky Starks - It wasn't completely terrible but it just never really felt like it picked up the pace as they progressed, and it was in direct contrast to some of the energy displayed by other matches earlier in the night. Not a main event in my eyes. 

👎 Hardy/Page bollocks - Still not even remotely arsed. 

2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

The product has been floundering for a little while now despite having so many positives, the crowds and tv audiences are dropping, and the roster is becoming more bloated.

I think what I struggle with is that even when AEW is good, you have that niggling feeling that it could be so much better. You look at the roster - people like Eddie Kingston, Swerve Strickland, Big Bill, Jay White, Ricky Starks, Ethan Page, Daniel Garcia, Miro, Powerhouse Hobbs, Fenix, Penta and even Danhausen - and you can't help but wonder how brilliant AEW would be if even a handful of them were used to their full potential. Even MJF has cooled off significantly. 

Most episodes of Dynamite are just fine. But in the current television landscape, just fine doesn't quite cut it. Even if you isolate that statement to wrestling - look at The Bloodline, Cody Rhodes or Dominik Mysterio and compare that to anything AEW is doing right now. Or look at Impact, which manages to produce a really compelling wrestling product on a weekly basis, that pisses all over most of what AEW is doing. 

It's not like AEW can't do it - I'd argue that the Kenny Omega/Hangman saga was every bit as compelling as The Bloodline saga. The MJF/CM Punk storyline was outstanding. They can do great gimmicks/characters - like Miro as "the redeemer", Eddie Kingston as...Eddie Kingston and Mr Brodie Lee and his abusive relationship with The Dark Order. 

I no longer feel excited for episodes of Dynamite, and that sucks. I don't dread them, don't get me wrong - but I want to feel the way I did back when AEW was firing on all cylinders. I really hope the company gets its spark back soon.