• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I've probably missed something here, but what the fuck is a World Championship "eliminator match"? Is that a non-title bout?

I think it's what they call the WWE booking trope of "if you pin the champion non-title, you get a title match".

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think it's what they call the WWE booking trope of "if you pin the champion non-title, you get a title match".

That's exactly it - while they've quietly retired the rankings, it was a way a non-ranked competitor could get a title match.

While they've had a fair few over the years, there have been very few times the challenger has won. I don't think it's ever happened for the men's world title.

• Paid Members

When I first started watching AEW I was baffled by those because the first time I saw one it was not explained at all what it was. Had to google it, which is not great for a new viewer even if people who know AEW are very familiar with them. 

Also I don't know if this is only for ROH or across all AEW things, but on ROH at least they've said the challenger also gets a shot if they take the champion to a time limit draw in an eliminator match. I think there's great storytelling potential with that rule that I'd like to see explored. A plucky up and comer just refusing to die against the champ and earning a shot that way could be great. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, JLM said:

Also I don't know if this is only for ROH or across all AEW things, but on ROH at least they've said the challenger also gets a shot if they take the champion to a time limit draw in an eliminator match. I think there's great storytelling potential with that rule that I'd like to see explored. A plucky up and comer just refusing to die against the champ and earning a shot that way could be great. 

I think that's only for ROH Proving Ground matches. Basically title eliminators with the added 10-minute time limit stipulation.

It's a shame that AEW has found itself in that WWE-esque 'lets knock the company for the most minor of things' situation. It just shows a lot of wrestling fandom is based on goodwill. When people are enjoying your product, they don't care what you call your number one contendership matches or whatever. But when you're no longer the cool new company on the block you're going to get a lot more flack. Interested to see how AEW weathers this storm it's in at the moment.

45 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

They've done Eliminator Matches for awhile so this whole "what is an eliminator match? " discourse is weird

I've genuinely not noticed it. But if you're seeing a lot of discussion around it, as this post implies, maybe they should be explaining what it means a bit more proactively. The world "eliminator" is hardly self-explanatory. 

8 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

I'm fairly certain that every non-title match any champion has had over the last year and a bit has been listed as an eliminator match.

Pretty much. Mox clocked them up. Mance Warner, Juice and Takeshita were ones I remember as they technically all outsiders at the time. 

The only high profile singles match by a champion that wasn't a defense or eliminator might have been Omega v Danielson. 

• Paid Members

Taskeshita also had an eliminator match against MJF a couple of months ago.

One of the things I like about the eliminator matches is that the challenger usually loses. A bit too often in the past, non-title matches were a giveaway that the champ was losing to set up the title match. This way adds a little unpredictability to it.

Yeah the eliminator name for that all started after Kenny Omega won the the title. Vividly remember he and Janela in what was called an Eliminator Match. I kind of see it when the rankings were around of it being a non ranked one shot to jump the queue type deal in my head.

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Vividly remember he and Janela in what was called an Eliminator Match. I kind of see it when the rankings were around of it being a non ranked one shot to jump the queue type deal in my head.

Was that the crazy (and great) Lights Out match they had on Dark (I think it was Dark)?

Something else: I really like Takeshita's vibe when he's coming out. He just looks like a fucking badass. Not having music actually adds to it. Plus the wonderful artwork of Don (69 me!) and Kenny.

3 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

A lot of singles matches by Toni Storm during the interim reign & Hayter were Eliminator matches. Not a peep over the confusion there. 

I think it was probably because they weren't high profile enough matches, or opponents in the case of the other examples. Regardless of what people think of Adam Cole, he's someone who they could put in a PPV match against MJF (and possibly even have him win) - I suspect that's why people (including myself) have paid attention to the "eliminator" tag this time round. If Mance Warner, for example, is facing Jon Moxley in an "AEW Title Eliminator match" it hardly matters, he's not going to win whether it's a title match or otherwise. And you might even skip past it for that reason (...I'm pretty sure I did, because I don't remember this match at all).