• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I think what I struggle with is that even when AEW is good, you have that niggling feeling that it could be so much better. You look at the roster - people like Eddie Kingston, Swerve Strickland, Big Bill, Jay White, Ricky Starks, Ethan Page, Daniel Garcia, Miro, Powerhouse Hobbs, Fenix, Penta and even Danhausen - and you can't help but wonder how brilliant AEW would be if even a handful of them were used to their full potential. Even MJF has cooled off significantly. 

Most episodes of Dynamite are just fine. But in the current television landscape, just fine doesn't quite cut it. Even if you isolate that statement to wrestling - look at The Bloodline, Cody Rhodes or Dominik Mysterio and compare that to anything AEW is doing right now. Or look at Impact, which manages to produce a really compelling wrestling product on a weekly basis, that pisses all over most of what AEW is doing. 

It's not like AEW can't do it - I'd argue that the Kenny Omega/Hangman saga was every bit as compelling as The Bloodline saga. The MJF/CM Punk storyline was outstanding. They can do great gimmicks/characters - like Miro as "the redeemer", Eddie Kingston as...Eddie Kingston and Mr Brodie Lee and his abusive relationship with The Dark Order. 

I no longer feel excited for episodes of Dynamite, and that sucks. I don't dread them, don't get me wrong - but I want to feel the way I did back when AEW was firing on all cylinders. I really hope the company gets its spark back soon. 

If you think Smackdown or Raw put on better wrestling shows then Dynamite I’ve got a bridge I want to sell you.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If you think Smackdown or Raw put on better wrestling shows then Dynamite I’ve got a bridge I want to sell you.

Well hang on now, while I personally don't disagree with you, that's very subjective. Personal preference for style/presentation plays a big part in what a person feels is "better", surely?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Well hang on now, while I personally don't disagree with you, that's very subjective. Personal preference for style/presentation plays a big part in what a person feels is "better", surely?

I watch wrestling for wrestling and stories. Dynamite delivers on both frequently. Sure, The Bloodline is the best story in wrestling (it should have ended at Manua, but that’s just my view) but the rest of the shows are boring and drag on. If we’re being completely honest.

51 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

When you say "wrestling show", I'm assuming you mean "in ring product"? I get very little out of a good match for the sake of a good match. I need build up, and I also need the match to have a satisfying finish, as opposed to a cop-out. 

I look forward to Smackdown far more than I do Dynamite right now; thanks largely to the fantastic Bloodline saga. Does that make it a "better wrestling show"? That's subjective of course, but I'd rather have one storyline as good as that, than the unfocused offerings in AEW right now; which have generally lacked substance, or failed to meet their initial promise. Outside of that, you have the Dominik/Ripley storyline, the rise of Gunther, Zayn/Owens and Cody all involved in entertaining storylines; and fun mid-lower card acts like Alpha Academy and Chelsea Green. 

This isn't a WWE thread, but I don't think it's hard to explain why someone might find WWE television more interesting right now. 

Edited by RedRooster

24 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I watch wrestling for wrestling and stories. Dynamite delivers on both frequently. Sure, The Bloodline is the best story in wrestling (it should have ended at Manua, but that’s just my view) but the rest of the shows are boring and drag on. If we’re being completely honest.

You know there are people who like different stuff, right? It is allowed. Plenty of people watch WWE and enjoy it. Doesn't make them wrong. You find them boring and they drag on for you, Others might enjoy the WWE style more or their wrestlers etc and you know what? That's okay!

Take the announcement of CMFTR v. BC Gold & Samoa Joe.

The timing came before the main event. Which made Jay White v. Ricky Starks secondary and an afterthought. As you already know they're moving on.

They could have taken the past couple of weeks of building something between FTR and BC Gold. Drop Ricky Starks from it so he doesn't get left like a spare part. BC Gold bring in Samoa Joe as a hired hard, as the King of Television loves Gold. That leaves FTR needing a 3rd in Punk.

Basically, anything that involves some story on-screen. Instead we get a random announcement from TK on a cold match.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

When you say "wrestling show", I'm assuming you mean "in ring product"? I get very little out of a good match for the sake of a good match. I need build up, and I also need the match to have a satisfying finish, as opposed to a cop-out. 

I look forward to Smackdown far more than I do Dynamite right now; thanks largely to the fantastic Bloodline saga. Does that make it a "better wrestling show"? That's subjective of course, but I'd rather have one storyline as good as that, than the unfocused offerings in AEW right now; which have generally lacked substance, or failed to meet their initial promise. Outside of that, you have the Dominik/Ripley storyline, the rise of Gunther, Zayn/Owens and Cody all involved in entertaining storylines; and fun mid-lower card acts like Alpha Academy and Chelsea Green. 

This isn't a WWE thread, but I don't think it's hard to explain why someone might find WWE television more interesting right now. 

To stop the derailment I'll say of course people can like different things, and whilst I don't think any of the other programs you have mentioned outside The Bloodline are for me better then anything AEW are putting out, and while I also think if you are discussing "in ring product" and complaining about what you need to be able to enjoy it is something I think WWE really slack on, I have to say that again, it's subjective. And obviously we find different levels in enjoyment in different things. But for me, it's what turned me away from WWE some time ago and what it has failed to do ever since. Dynamite never feels like a chore whilst I cannot tell you the last time I watched more then an hour of Raw and Smackdown I will usually have to skip through bits of.

TLDR: Opinions are like arseholes, we can all like different things. 

@Infinity Land I get your point, but it already seemed pretty obvious that Jay and Ricky were wrapping up things because of prior matches, though now The Gunns got involved I imagine that will be his next feud with Action Andretti (or hopefully someone more dynamic)

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

To stop the derailment I'll say of course people can like different things, and whilst I don't think any of the other programs you have mentioned outside The Bloodline are for me better then anything AEW are putting out, and while I also think if you are discussing "in ring product" and complaining about what you need to be able to enjoy it is something I think WWE really slack on, I have to say that again, it's subjective. And obviously we find different levels in enjoyment in different things. But for me, it's what turned me away from WWE some time ago and what it has failed to do ever since. Dynamite never feels like a chore whilst I cannot tell you the last time I watched more then an hour of Raw and Smackdown I will usually have to skip through bits of.

I skip things in both WWE and AEW television - and I'd be talking nonsense if I were to say WWE didn't throw out meaningless, dull matches on occasion. WWE is much better than AEW at making something - whether it's a storyline or a wrestler - feel like a big deal; and generally they are also better at capitalising on acts that catch-on, and at putting them in a position to catch on in the first place. They don't, of course, get it right every time - and there are certainly exceptions to the rule. 

Hook, for example, was essentially a babyface Dominik Mysterio. What I mean by that is that they both caught on while their in ring work was at a similar level. WWE are capitalising on Dom while he's hot, Hook was left to fizzle out; without even one big match under his belt. How fun would it have been to see him challenge for a title, even if it was on a BOTB or TV show? Or to have a feud with a big name heel, like MJF? 

The Blackpool Combat Club are tremendous heels - and really, they should feel as big to AEW as The Bloodline does to WWE. Their heel turn should have felt enormous, but it just kind of happened. It's not been bad, don't get me wrong - but this could easily be the anchor storyline for AEW right now - the Omega/Page, sustaining the company for a period of time as you watch to find out what happens next. Instead, it feels like they've turned for the sole purpose of feuding with The Elite, with no real end goal in mind. Realistically, what is there for them to do that feels "big enough" once the Elite feud wraps up? With MJF as champion, the title is likely out of the question, so what happens next? There's just...nothing. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Even the Big Cass name only gets a pass because that was the name he had when he first came into view.

To be pedantic (and to further highlight that Big Bill is by far his best name) when he first started appearing on WWE (NXT) TV he was Colin Cassady.

Just glad they ditched W.Morrissey though. Awful name. Worse than Colin Cassady.

The shows definitely aren't at their hottest but they're solidly fun for the most part, and there's stuff to look forward to for the next few months.

One thing that stood out this week was Bryan making fun of Taz for saying GRIP so often, which was something just brought up on the Lapsed Fan podcast.. think American Dragon is a listener?

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

👎 Hardy/Page bollocks - Still not even remotely arsed. 

While I agree on the point from the Hardy side of things, this was the first time I've seen Page displaying the put-upon everyman that he plays on Danhausen's videos, and made me a fan of his in the first place. He can be really funny, especially when he's basically being a slightly slow-on-the-uptake guy who is utterly confused as to all the weirdness he's surrounded by.

I'm not saying this is the use of him that'll make him a star, but that did make me find him really likeable. Again, Hardys aren't where I'd do it, but I'm happy to see a little more of the Page that made me like him in the first place. 

Yeah that segment was the first thing Matt Hardy (and his brother) have done in AEW I've liked.  Ethan Page having to be nice but still acknowledging they're absolute weirdos (that anyone would find tiring) made me smile. I dunno if it can sustain because Page is mostly entertaining in matches when he's being an absolutely dickhead but those 2 minutes were better than any other Hardy rubbish so far.  Lean into them being odd uncool weirdos who mean well rather than trying to tell me these two middle aged men at all resemble the Hardy boys of my childhood

Edited by organizedkaos