Gives a reason for champs to wrestle and rack up wins against guys they wouldn’t feud with. It’s a fine device to keep them wrestling and kinda have a reason 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Taskeshita also had an eliminator match against MJF a couple of months ago.

One of the things I like about the eliminator matches is that the challenger usually loses. A bit too often in the past, non-title matches were a giveaway that the champ was losing to set up the title match. This way adds a little unpredictability to it.

Yeah that's something I like about it too. It's a big deal when the challenger beats the world champion to earn the shot, which I believe is going to happen this Wednesday. 

They believe in Cole. I don't see it, but that's me, not AEW. However I also don't expect that they plan to take the title from MJF until November at the earliest, nor do they want this to be a one and done or Cole to go 0-2 against MJF. Putting Cole over in the non-title match, having them go 1-1 in the title match then splitting off for a while allows them the chance to revisit down the line when it's time to have MJF drop the title. It gives Cole a way back in if they decide to go with him, out of the options best placed at the time. It also gives him something to hang his hat on if they don't. 

In this particular instance, with how AEW are pushing Cole, if he loses the eliminator match then it will have been a bad idea to book it in the first place. They should just go straight to the title match in that case. Cole should win here (again, I wouldn't do it with him, I'd have someone else in this spot). That the challenger so rarely does, allows for all that uncertainty like you say @Chris B. 

• Paid Members
On 6/8/2023 at 8:41 AM, LaGoosh said:

Preston Vance bleeding buckets for nothing.

Catching up after Double or Nothing. I got the feeling that was hard way ... when Hook hit him with the chain, the end of it seemed to whip round and cut Vance open. I also thought Vance came back with a few stiffer than normal shots (especially the clothesline) after being cut open.

• Paid Members

Zack Sabre Jr may be a very good wrestler, but I cannot fucking stand listening to him talk. He's in the same vein as Ospreay in that they both try so hard to be the 'Hard man cockney' that Charlie Hunnam pulls the accent off better. 

Also, I'm not an NJPW watcher so it's the first time I've seen that belt on TV, but that is fucking awful. Looks like he's just served up a load of sandwiches and is carrying around the tray. 

Edited by Nick James

4 hours ago, Nick James said:

Zack Sabre Jr may be a very good wrestler, but I cannot fucking stand listening to him talk. He's in the same vein as Ospreay in that they both try so hard to be the 'Hard man cockney' that Charlie Hunnam pulls the accent off better. 

I’d never heard him talk before. I’ll admit I didn’t recognise him, but rather than question who he was, I was more struck by how strange his cadence was in that segment.

• Paid Members

Fuck me, what a show. If you replaced the Wardlow stuff with something better it'd be one of the best episodes of wrestling telly ever. That ending stretch was simply brilliant moment after brilliant moment. Who could possibly give a toss about CM Punk after all that great, exciting, layered action. 

And it's almost a shame Adam Cole and MJF will inevitably face off again because there's no way they'll top that match.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I’d never heard him talk before. I’ll admit I didn’t recognise him, but rather than question who he was, I was more struck by how strange his cadence was in that segment.

He sounds like an American mocking a British accent. 

• Paid Members

Him dropping shoot comments, pipebombs and shitty elbow drops is going to look so pathetic in comparison to the BCC, Elite, Kingston, Takeshita, Don Callis, Ospreay (and Ibushi please!) multi-layered emotional storytelling with the best most exciting modern wrestling in the world. 

Also reports that Jimmy Jacobs was backstage helping with creative this week which is incredibly exciting if he's going to be on creative going forwards.

44 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Him dropping shoot comments, pipebombs and shitty elbow drops is going to look so pathetic in comparison to the BCC, Elite, Kingston, Takeshita, Don Callis, Ospreay (and Ibushi please!) multi-layered emotional storytelling with the best most exciting modern wrestling in the world. 

Has there ever been a wrestling story based on real-life happenings that has actually been any good? I'm struggling to think of any. 

That said, if Don Callis's teases of "his family" ended up involving CM Punk, I'd not be against that at all. Punk and Callis could be a really fun heel act, and it would allow for Punk and Kenny to have a feud that can be justified from a storyline perspective, without having to dip too much into the backstage stuff (while still satisfying people who want to see the match because of the backstage stuff). 

What's the general view on the opening match? Objectively, it was a good wrestling match. A very good match. But I'm struggling to connect with Adam Cole once again. I'm not sure why, exactly - maybe it's the post-Jericho feud stink that has similarly tainted Ricky Starks. But I feel utterly apathetic about the guy. 

I also hate the "Bullet Club Gold" stable name. It sounds like a bad tribute act, unlike most other stables in the company they don't appear to have any purpose for existing - no mission statement, no reason to do what they're doing. For Jay White to truly stand out in AEW, he'd have been better off going in as a solo act, or joining an existing group. 

Keith Lee should be embarrassed at how badly he moved around the ring and missed where he was meant to be more than the 60+ guy in the match who was wrestling in a Sweat suit. 

• Paid Members

I hadn't really thought about it, but if Punk genuinely isn't going to be working with The Elite, and won't be "allowed" to talk about them, it's going to kill his appeal and his credibility very quickly. You can't be the guy whose made his name as an honest voice in a dishonest business, the voice of the voiceless, saying the unsayable and all that, and then follow boss' orders and not talk about the most high profile story you've been involved in for years. Even if the plan isn't to turn him heel, circumstance is going to force their hand pretty quickly if they don't at least play lip service to acknowledging the stuff between Punk and the Elite. 

Maybe a couple of weeks ago? Before CM Punk was announced there was a bit of static in the OC match that opened a show. AEW being known for it's production fuckups. Easily taken for that and probably was that because it was never played up.

This week there was the very clear NO on screen during the 8 man with OC.

• Paid Members

Eddie Kingston randomly inserting himself into the main storyline just because he hates Claudio Castagnoli so much is absolutely perfect and so fitting for Eddie's character. None of it involves him but he saw Claudio, kicked right off and is ready to fucking go. Perfect booking and naturally adds even more layers to this tremendous story.

Sting/Darby vs Jericho/Sammy is also some perfect match making and hopefully they build that up to All In. Feels like a huge match. Sting and Jericho can do the big legend character spots while Darby and Sammy carry the rest with crazy, daredevil spots. I'm desperate for this to be at All In.

56 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Sting/Darby vs Jericho/Sammy is also some perfect match making and hopefully they build that up to All In. Feels like a huge match. Sting and Jericho can do the big legend character spots while Darby and Sammy carry the rest with crazy, daredevil spots. I'm desperate for this to be at All In.

2 months of a Jericho feud, no one will give a fuck if sting retires after that