• Paid Members

I think the best thing for everyone is if he does go to WWE in 2024. I really think they could move him onto the next step in regards to his character and AEW would have a red hot storyline on his way out.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

I think the best thing for everyone is if he does go to WWE in 2024. I really think they could move him onto the next step in regards to his character and AEW would have a red hot storyline on his way out.

Losing one of the Four Pillars to your arch rival can't be the best thing for AEW. The best thing would be not to book MJF like an afterthought. TK books a pretty good chase for a championship but his booking of the actual champion is not the best. TK needs some booking help that isn't self centred around the person helping. I don't think that's likely to happen though. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Losing one of the Four Pillars to your arch rival can't be the best thing for AEW. The best thing would be not to book MJF like an afterthought. TK books a pretty good chase for a championship but his booking of the actual champion is not the best. TK needs some booking help that isn't self centred around the person helping. I don't think that's likely to happen though. 

He’s already stale and redoing old bits, unless he changes his character and promo style I can’t see him being in a better place a year from now. Winning the belt should have been his peak and it’s arguably the worst thing he’s done since he’s been there, he’s cooled right down. Nothing he’s done as champion comes close to his feuds with Wardlow, Punk and Mox.

Going to WWE obviously is a loss for AEW, but for MJF’s career could be absolutely huge and for the AEW television quality would only be an improvement too.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Going to WWE obviously is a loss for AEW, but for MJF’s career could be absolutely huge and for the AEW television quality would only be an improvement too.

I don’t see how losing MJF would improve the quality of AEW television. MJF isn’t great right now, but he has been; and throughout AEW’s lifespan, he’s been about as vital as anyone to the quality of the programming. If he stays, there would surely be plenty of great MJF moments to come in AEW. 

For the sake of progression, MJF probably should move to WWE; but it wouldn’t be good for AEW - particularly if - on the back of Cody doing well - he was a huge success, which might tempt others to make the jump. 

Edited by RedRooster

2 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

It was said at the time when he returned, so this isn't hindsight. He should have embraced being a face instead of doubling down on his old schtick.

I couldn’t agree with this more. If you had a face MJF as champion, a heel BCC, Callis and ‘his family’ and potentially even a babyface CM Punk the title scene and top of the card would look really exciting. Heck, even MJF vs Christian could have been a lot of fun. As it stands, in spite of being champion, MJF feels slightly directionless; outside of the ‘bidding war’ nonsense.

18 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

MJF's promos are getting worse by the week. Just tiresome bollocks that feel an hour long.

Ooooh he said Vince McMahon.

He is shite. Good at shouting but the content is pure ECW Shane Douglas fused with 15 year old who just watched the Punk pipebomb. "Your mother swallows!" "Has anyone heard of Ring Of Honor?!".

WWE would really be the best thing for him - get a PG-13 filter on this bore.

It’s not about his “promo skills” - we all know the guy can talk, he can work a crowd, he can improvise, he can sell a match.

He can’t do that without an interesting opponent and feud though.  At the moment his promos are empty wrapping paper.

He’s the champ but he’s not been the focus of the company since he won the belt.  And with Punk Shockmastering his way onto Saturday nights, he won’t be for some time.

Imo a wrestling fed works best when the champ is the draw, the main event and the face on the poster.  WWE have always followed this philosophy and have done well out of it.  Whenever they lacked that faith in their champ it generally ended poorly.

26 minutes ago, Loki said:

Imo a wrestling fed works best when the champ is the draw, the main event and the face on the poster.  WWE have always followed this philosophy and have done well out of it.  Whenever they lacked that faith in their champ it generally ended poorly.

It’s classic WWE/Vince self-fulfilling booking. Make someone the champ who they don’t rate, cut them off at the knees by booking them like twats, then wonder why they’re not over anymore and don’t draw. 

Presumably MJF would have had a nice meaty re-run of his Punk feud as champ if things hadn’t gone south. Feuding with the least credible challenger going is just killing him. 

• Paid Members

Getting to this show super late, it was nothing like I expected given the doom and gloom, TNA-will-be-dead-in-six-weeks-style posts of the last few pages. It was a mostly fine utility show, building to loads of awesome stuff in the next few weeks. Never was it clearer how much the wrestling world had changed that people are moaning about a show featuring Bryan Danielson vs. Okada promos. Let’s get some fucking perspective, lads.

Some other quick thoughts….

I know it’s not a strength you want to have to rely on, but they’ve become really good at making small crowds still look impressive. If the numbers reported are true, it was nothing short of a minor miracle the way they shot this show. Mox and Hook looked to be walking through a sea of people.

Orange Cassidy seems nailed on for wrestler of the year. Another great showing. With each passing week I’m convinced the time has came, only to punch the air when the good times roll on. He’s the best. They’d be silly to waste Orange on a Yano comedy match at Forbidden Door. He’s far too good for that these days. Give him Hiromu or Tanahashi.

I don’t know what they’re waiting for not giving the Blackpool Combat Club the Trios Titles. Seems inevitable. They’ve developed into the perfect act as a Trios team of nasty bastards, whilst Danielson calls the action from the desk, wrapped in cotton wool. That moonsault counter to a European Uppercut was phenomenal. Not enough people are talking about how Claudio has been used perfectly in AEW. He doesn’t need to be a World Champion. He just needs to be out there every week, delivering bangers, being freakishly strong.

Hated the MJF/Adam Cole thing with a passion, obviously. Everything I loathe about pro-wrestling in 2023, but what the fuck do I know. It got big reactions, so maybe I’m the one who’s out of touch, hating all the shooty bollocks. Time will tell. Looking forward to their match this week though. I have trust MJF will likely drag Cole to his best match in years. He might not wrestle often, but when he does, Max always delivers. Absolutely baffled by all this talk of MJF having peaked and needing to go to WWE, too. Literally can’t think of another heel in the business who so obviously has a massive babyface run in him. AEW would be crazy to let him go before exploring that direction.

Imagine though. There’s a dimension out there where MJF cuts the exact promo about having no competition left…and then Eddie Kingston walks out. Ideally covered in blood, holding a gas canister. That has to be on the cards eventually, surely?!

Juice Robinson really made me laugh again. Quietly turned his whole career around and became one of the best things on the show. There’s real potential in Jay White and Juice, but fuck me they need to drop the Bullet Club stuff. No pun intended, there is zero juice left in that gimmick. Been going on forever, a million members, no resemblance of what it once was, absolutely worthless in this day and age. The pro-wrestling equivalent of the Sugababes.

This week’s show looks great. I’m always a sucker for these Takeover-style posters. Plus; further evidence that Sting is the greatest wrestler to put on a poster. Always looks amazing.

IMG_4469.thumb.jpeg.ff5ba68a8ac2e41d806028f6db1b11c9.jpeg

I suspect a big show, as The Elite put their stall out in preparation for the CM Punk show on Saturday. Maybe, just maybe, this is the week we’re treated to Ibushi’s beautiful face?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

They’d be silly to waste Orange on a Yano comedy match at Forbidden Door

Completely agreed, but also, that would pretty much always have been a poor use of both men. The best formula is to book the comedy guy against a super-serious opponent - the dynamic is around how the "proper wrestler" responds to an Orange Cassidy or a Toru Yano, you lose that when you put comedy wrestlers together. Give us the long overdue Orange Cassidy/Minoru Suzuki match, I reckon.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Completely agreed, but also, that would pretty much always have been a poor use of both men. The best formula is to book the comedy guy against a super-serious opponent - the dynamic is around how the "proper wrestler" responds to an Orange Cassidy or a Toru Yano, you lose that when you put comedy wrestlers together. Give us the long overdue Orange Cassidy/Minoru Suzuki match, I reckon.

That is why the OC/Ospreay worked so well at Forbidden Door last year.