The HHH Era has arrived

Loki

19 hours ago, air_raid said:

It's not that the guys' runs are making them less of a star, its the presentation. John Cena was on TV every week for over 14 years and because they presented him like a star, he was always a star. They had about 10 years between the era I referred to and 2010 when Triple H and Taker both got put out not long after Mania and started to only really both wrestle at Mania and one or two other shows. Round about the same point in 2010 Batista left and within a year Edge was gone too, so the reliance they then started to have upon Taker and Hunter, Cena beyond the point he started winding down, and eventually a couple of doses of Rocky and the returned Brock Lesnar, started to reduce the importance of everyone that was there every week, because nobody else was presented as that level.  There was probably only Randy Orton who was presented as a true top guy and actually around every week, and briefly Punk, who need a chunk of 2013 off then ended up leaving anyway. Suddenly instead of people being "in" or "out" they were happy to let people come and go and be presented as the bigger deals than the guys that were there all the time. In the last 5 years especially only Roman Reigns has been presented as a real star, everyone else has either been occupying a slot waiting for him or for Lesnar, keeping a belt warm for one or the other before they'd inevitably be pointed at each other again. Everyone else they could have made into that level of star has been in and out of that position or had it pulled out from under them - Rollins, Styles, McIntyre. T

I've been thinking about your point for a while today. This part-timer thing actually started a fair while before it became prominent. The part time thing came in from what I can tell all the way back in 2002 with The Rock fitting what WWE he could in between his early movies. Add to that an unintentionally short run by Austin and Hogan's relatively short stints as he fell out with Vince and you have the foundations of what would become the way to draw in the future.

Then apart from possible Cena Vs Batista you've got no mega matches occurring without a big attitude era star or before being apart of it until Punk/ Bryan got hot in 2011 and then neither or them drew as big or were able to hang around long. It hasn't been until Reigns they've been able to build up a big big attraction to headline the biggest shows. Up until recently fans have been fantasy booking all the way to Reigns/ Rock at Mania (which is dubious now I guess).

Being 36 now and reflecting on the last 22 years it makes me pretty sad that such a limited amount of top talent has come through. Unless Triple H is able to find a suite of stars that connect like 97-00 I doubt anything much will actually change. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, simonworden said:

Being 36 now and reflecting on the last 22 years it makes me pretty sad that such a limited amount of top talent has come through. Unless Triple H is able to find a suite of stars that connect like 97-00 I doubt anything much will actually change. 

It's not as hard as people think. Just present people like stars and they are stars. Take McIntyre as an example of how not to do it - he's WWE Champion, fine. He loses the title, fine, and maybe he has rematches for the title. You reach a point where its time for him not to be challenging again just yet, so he should be programmed with other guys in that spot where realistically the winner of that feud will be next in line, either against someone already at that level or someone you're trying to bring up to that level. You don't burden him with shit like Happy Corbin and Madcap Moss because in a heartbeat, he's not a star any more, he's back down to that level. Everyone's treated like a flash in the pan if they aren't Reigns. Within the last five years, guys who had title runs as good as AJ and Daniel Bryan did ended up going after the midcard titles? That's nonsense. Everyone ends up in 50/50 upper midcard hell, and nobody stays a main event star long enough to be perceived as one.

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

Onita had talks with Vince in the 90's, right? I've seen a fair few pics of him when they met, imagine if they actually did an exploding match back then.

Wasn't the plan for Onita vs Foley at WrestleMania in an exploding death match? 

I was kinda hoping they'd do one after the AEW debacle just to spite them (doesn't seem anymore ridiculous than them doing an eye for an eye match). I'd just be curious to see what that'd look like.

You are all joshing, but with HBK running NXT and Haitch running the big show, it seems like a natural progression to bring in Big Sexy in some role or other.  They all lived and breathed wrestling for years, and Nash in interviews is smart and aware of modern wrestling trends.

The Kliq booking Raw would at least be interesting!

• Paid Members

I really can't see Triple H's rise to power being good news at all for Impact, MLW etc.

If he's going to restock NXT's roster then you know what direction they're going to look towards, given AEW wrestlers seem to be on longer contracts than the rest.

I was more than content with crazy Vince only signing college nobodies tbh...

Edited by garynysmon

Some quite deliberate wordplay there I feel.

Ultimately this is the perfect opportunity for WWE to score some easy PR goals. Make it seem like Vince was the problem and it’s all going to be the land of milk and honey from now on. Just look at how people reacted to SummerSlam. Some fans are so desperate for there to be actual change that they’re already clinging on to the most minimal of alterations. 

1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Some quite deliberate wordplay there I feel.

Ultimately this is the perfect opportunity for WWE to score some easy PR goals. Make it seem like Vince was the problem and it’s all going to be the land of milk and honey from now on. Just look at how people reacted to SummerSlam. Some fans are so desperate for there to be actual change that they’re already clinging on to the most minimal of alterations. 

WWE Shop running a flash sale with discount code 'WALKOUT' very deliberate too