The HHH Era has arrived

Loki

WWE for years felt like Vince's mind through Kevin Dunn's lens. Now one of them's gone and the other one's seen the writing on the wall (and his safety net retired) so this should be the biggest shakeup onscreen and off for 25 years. Will it be as soon as tonight's RAW? And will they be able to stop themselves doing HHH vs Cody like it was Austin vs McMahon? 

In the great helix chart of my wrestling fandom we are at a dip (or a continual downward movement) and I haven't been able to watch a WWE show from beginning to end in one go since 2013 when I was forced to (was at the B+ Player Raw after Summerslam). That's probably on me as much as anything, but I will genuinely stand up and applaud HHH if I can one day watch an entire episode of WWE main roster original television and not think I've wasted part of my life and devoted 34 years to the sheerest idiocy, let alone think it was fine or good.

• Paid Members

I'm intrigued. That initial Ryan Ward written, HHH overseen NXT run was amazing but the second era of NXT with Gargano, Cole etc was terrible. And during this period he was a significant part of the main roster creative team. Who knows what this will be like?

Worth noting that Triple H was actively against the Festival of Friendship angle. The last genuinely good main event angle and heel turn the WWE ever did.

NXT was shite from the moment he had two hours. A fantastic one hour booker.

EDIT: Nah, I’m changing that. Checked the Champions list and it was shite for about 2 years before that too. Basically around Drew McIntyre returning it got dull as hell, Drew is just a timeline example not a cause by the way.

Edited by FUM

• Paid Members

Somewhat cathartic to see the "When Vince is gone, HHH and Steph will run the place" era finally happen. Though at this point is the well already too poisoned for it to matter?

Creatively as well, is it too far gone to even come back? All the major stars from the last few years you could build a restructure like this around (Cena, Batista, Bryan, Punk, The Shield) are gone, and though they have star power, Lesnar and Reigns have been there fighting each other forever so that won't make any odds. The show will still be three hours, the camera cuts are still going to be nauseating, and nearly all the NXT future stars I imagine HHH would have brought up have either self destructed or left. 

There have been several points since I started watching where this happening could have really changed the game (The Invasion, the Cena and Batista Era, The Lesnar Era Parts 1 and 2, The Summer of Punk, The Yes Movement, The Wyatts vs Shield Era, The Four Horsewomen, HHH's NXT on the Network) but my feeling now is that HHH and Steph are going to really struggle to do anything with it other than steady the ship and keep it exactly how it is because it's been so much of the same for so long that doing anything new with it will only alienate the people still watching out of habit who just want Reigns, Lesnar and Goldberg forever.

I hadn’t even thought about how this could translate to other personnel, such as Jeremy Borash. 

I wasn’t going to bite on the Kevin Nash mentions, but might as well. How much do we think he has learned as a booker? I don’t believe he has done it since WCW… and the November 1998-Summer 1999 period he was Head Booker, WCW wasn’t exactly a great product. And I mean even by the inconsistent WCW standards.

21 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

They're at MSG tonight. Good place for an attempt at starting a new direction. Shit hits different there.

Triple H's music hitting in that building would be the perfect start to Raw.

Hasn't the last couple of weeks typically involved a random promo to start the shows. Vince/Steph/Titus.

If they want to symbolise change it would be Sasha Banks and Naomi out first.

Madness to see the amount of people that seem to still think Sasha Banks has been wronged and her attitude isn’t just shite as it seems to come out after most of her walkouts. And not in a leaked or statement by WWE way, talent seems to think it.