woke.

PunkStep

• 7 months later...
13 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I try and stay out of the terf wars. I think it's got something to do with Harry Potter but I don't want to investigate further. 

It's more about the author not the books, but meh, just trans rights issues innit. Make it about Harry Potter. Not like they matter is it.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chili said:

It's more about the author not the books, but meh, just trans rights issues innit. Make it about Harry Potter. Not like they matter is it.

18 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I don't want to investigate further. 

Trans rights has been a serious issue for about 5 years now Chilli, or roughly 1 tenth of my lifespan so far. I have been polite to people for 10 tenths of my life (A delightful baby) and I will always try to put everyone at ease and call them whatever they wish to be called, and treat them how they wish to be treated.  Sometimes I will get that wrong and I will try to learn from my mistakes, if I'm given the chance. Apart from that kindly see the end of my original post quoted above. 

12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Trans rights has been a serious issue for about 5 years now Chilli, or roughly 1 tenth of my lifespan so far. I have been polite to people for 10 tenths of my life (A delightful baby) and I will always try to put everyone at ease and call them whatever they wish to be called, and treat them how they wish to be treated.  Sometimes I will get that wrong and I will try to learn from my mistakes, if I'm given the chance. Apart from that kindly see the end of my original post quoted above. 

I wasn't slagging you off just vibed you did know more through a Harry Potter reference. Anyway you said you make the effort which is brilliant so no problem there. 

Sorry myself if it looked like lashing out, it's an awful day on the depression front where one minute I'm thinking death the next I'm planning beans on toast as a treat. Depression is fucking incredible.

4 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Very similar to my thoughts on it.  Happy to be as accommodating to people’s wishes as regards names and pronouns, but unwilling to take too bold a stance on a subject which seems to pit one group’s wishes against another group that includes both my mother and my wife, and also many feminists I grew up revering.

I’ll wait for things to work themselves out without my help on this one.  Besides I work with a number of trans people and none of them seem to give a shit about it either.

17 minutes ago, Loki said:

Very similar to my thoughts on it.  Happy to be as accommodating to people’s wishes as regards names and pronouns, but unwilling to take too bold a stance on a subject which seems to pit one group’s wishes against another group that includes both my mother and my wife, and also many feminists I grew up revering.

spacer.png

I do struggle with the pronoun thing. Not from a lack of respect or understanding but just because it's all very new to me. I think it's natural when you've lived for years understanding the world in a very black and white way that such changes can be quite challenging to implement in a day to day basis. Although to be fair it's not something I come across that regularly anyway. Probably because I don't work with people of an age that would really want to call anyone out on it. And my kids aren't old enough to know about it either.

It's something I often read about but don't really get involved in. Not because I don't care but just because I don't feel like it's my area to be commenting on at all. More for me to learn about and try to adjust to where possible.