woke.

PunkStep

16 minutes ago, David said:

Nope, it's mostly men who are the most vocal for some weird reason. On both sides.

Always seen it as more trans people on the trans side vocalising their rights and the TERF side being your Rowling's and haunted twitter number users, and obvs Linehan the defender of all women. But, but it might be differing circles giving that I work with a lot of trans comedians (a lot of them you might be surprised) who are rightly vocal given they well have to deal with a prick on the reg.

Pronouns as @DavidB6937 pointed, I absolutely struggled with it too as it was new and would feel quite bad if I kept fucking up. More because I imagined they have enough of it.

Personally I see it an evolutionary language trait change eventually. Where we'll just have it as a normal instead of a reactionary thing and in my prior job, a bunch of boomers going 'well back in my day you... Insert whatever isn't ok now' as a reach around.

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

Always seen it as more trans people on the trans side vocalising their rights and the TERF side being your Rowling's and haunted twitter number users, and obvs Linehan the defender of all women. But, but it might be differing circles giving that I work with a lot of trans comedians (a lot of them you might be surprised) who are rightly vocal given they well have to deal with a prick on the reg.

The thing is, women and trans people are the very ones who should be vocal about it. The matter concerns them, and the truth is, there's a lot of validity to both sides of the argument I think. It's certainly not as black and white as one side being right and the other being wrong.

The men I'm talking about, in my experience anyway, are the ones who are generally whipping shit up and causing friction. Be it transphobic twats or misogynistic neckbeard types. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

The thing is, women and trans people are the very ones who should be vocal about it. The matter concerns them, and the truth is, there's a lot of validity to both sides of the argument I think. It's certainly not as black and white as one side being right and the other being wrong.

The men I'm talking about, in my experience anyway, are the ones who are generally whipping shit up and causing friction. Be it transphobic twats or misogynistic neckbeard types. 

I was just giving a different take, thank you for putting me back in my place.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Pronouns as @DavidB6937 pointed, I absolutely struggled with it too as it was new and would feel quite bad if I kept fucking up. More because I imagined they have enough of it.

Personally I see it an evolutionary language trait change eventually. Where we'll just have it as a normal instead of a reactionary thing and in my prior job, a bunch of boomers going 'well back in my day you... Insert whatever isn't ok now' as a reach around.

Fuck you, this is far too sensitive a subject for you to be baiting me like this! I won’t do it dammit.

I had someone at work insist that in published documents we should ignore our corporate policy of writing in gender neutral terms and use he/she. They were utterly convinced this was a woke/trans rights issue where in fact it's like that because it's viewed as a more professional way to write. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I always thought it weird that we assign a gender to things like countries, vehicles or other inanimate objects. And they are usually a "she"

As someone learning French I would be delighted if I didn't have to remember if my cheese was masculine or feminine.

19 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I always thought it weird that we assign a gender to things like countries, vehicles or other inanimate objects. And they are usually a "she"

In English, It’s based in sexism and misogyny. It’s frames them as a delicate little thing that needs a man to protect them. 

Gendered languages baffle me. I know enough German to get by over there, but I can never remember if something is die/der etc so probably come across as a bit of a divvy.

On the pronouns thing, it's not a problem unless people take the piss with it. I've worked with a person for nearly 2 years and they've gone from she, to they, to him, to she and back to him again. All the while presenting as a woman so it's literally a case of having to check the email signature to be sure.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

On the pronouns thing, it's not a problem unless people take the piss with it. I've worked with a person for nearly 2 years and they've gone from she, to they, to him, to she and back to him again. All the while presenting as a woman so it's literally a case of having to check the email signature to be sure.

Or maybe they're gender fluid? Try asking.