woke.

PunkStep

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Just to clarify guys, I just think its a slippery slope to go down when honest people (presumably) are hounded out of their livelihood. You clearly disagree and that's fine. 

They weren't honest. She claimed her husband wearing a Britain First t-shirt didn't mean he was a supporter, just that "it was convenient at the time". They claimed the dolls weren't racist, while joking about pictures of one of them being hanged. 

They got the publicity they were after. They got fucked by it. They're not victims in this.

There's a clear and obvious difference between someone's "personal views" and this situation. The couple in question were perfectly free to hold a particular viewpoint. They were also perfectly free to collect as many gollies as they wanted. They could have had an entire house full of them and, unless say they were placed deliberately on display in windows, nobody would have cared. However as soon as they put them on display in their place of work, the rules change especially as adverse inferences can be drawn based on their apparent Britain First sympathies and references to lynchings. Just as adverse inferences can be drawn about people who use the logo of a BNP splinter group for their avatar...

Edited by Tamura

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Tamura said:

Just as adverse inferences can be drawn about people who use the logo of a BNP splinter group for their avatar...

They've got a specific policy around preserving statues and not wiping out or glorious history so I think that tells me everything I need to know (not really, i did have a proper poke around to see how explicity racist they are, the answer is quite so). Fuck the pub owners and fuck the British Democrats too. 

Edit: also reflecting that I'm still really happy we got rid of the old ukff logo. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Edit: also reflecting that I'm still really happy we got rid of the old ukff logo. 

Even the UK Floorball Federation, or the other UKFF as I like to call them has got rid of the Union Flag. I do sometimes wonder if they get questions about chippy teas or how you shit wearing full floorball gear, but as we don't get questions about the Great White Sharks playing Cambridge I don't suppose there is much crossover. 

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

Just to clarify guys, I just think its a slippery slope to go down when honest people (presumably) are hounded out of their livelihood. You clearly disagree and that's fine. 

If we're going down the road of sacking people from their jobs/businesses because we don't like their personal views then where does that lead us?

Not having a pop, I'm genuinely interested in what you guys have to say.

You're acting like their business went under because they voted for Brexit (which I'm sure they did) or for voting Conservative (again, probably do). But let's be honest, they were racists and very public about it, while pleading ignorant bliss. They thought they would get people coming to visit them by being this anti-woke pub, some sort of tourist site for other bigoted arseholes. I honestly can't believe anybody could defend them.

You can't say what you want in the work place anyway. If I went up to my boss and called him a cunt (I wouldn't because he's lovely) I'd rightly lose my job or went up to a black member of staff and laughed that we would of hanged them a couple of hundred years ago, again sacked. 

• Paid Members

Having had a bit of time to think about all this, I'll have to admit defeat on this one. 

As has been pointed out to me, they weren't punished for their personal views, rather for how they behaved in public and in their place of work, which was very stupid of them. 

Suppliers etc certainly have every right to choose who they do business with so I'll happily eat humble pie on that one as well.

Looking back, I should have given it all some more thought before contributing to the discussion. I'll be more mindful of this in future.

30 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

You can't say what you want in the work place anyway. If I went up to my boss and called him a cunt (I wouldn't because he's lovely) I'd rightly lose my job or went up to a black member of staff and laughed that we would of hanged them a couple of hundred years ago, again sacked

This is the most sackable offence to be honest :)

• Paid Members

It's always worth fact checking and getting a full picture before making any conclusions on the latest claim of  cancel culture/woke brigade hysteria, because so many of them end up being exactly like this one. Whether it's upsetting sponsors, advertisers, suppliers, employers, violating terms of service on a platform where you've agreed to follow said terms etc. etc. so many of them boil down to freedom of speech not equating to freedom from consequences. 

Edited by JLM

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Having had a bit of time to think about all this, I'll have to admit defeat on this one. 

As has been pointed out to me, they weren't punished for their personal views, rather for how they behaved in public and in their place of work, which was very stupid of them. 

Suppliers etc certainly have every right to choose who they do business with so I'll happily eat humble pie on that one as well.

Looking back, I should have given it all some more thought before contributing to the discussion. I'll be more mindful of this in future.

It's not about victory or defeat, though. 

Is it a defeat when you come to a viewpoint that you now consider reasonable, having considered all the arguments put forth like a rational human being? I'd say it's a good day for reason and debate.

Edited by Carbomb

In a move that’s totally expected and completely free from any form of self awareness, the racists have now declared they’re selling up and moving abroad. No doubt that Benidorm Bulldog comedian will be appearing in their new English bar called “Costa Del Gol” or something. 

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

When racists lose their business I'd happily have a Coronation sized chicken.

Me too.

• Paid Members

I've still got my Robertson's Golly badges, which I got as a child and had no idea of their history (I actually thought they were anthropomorphic berries, what with them being the mascot for a company that made jam), but I'm not going to be strolling around town with them on my lapels.