woke.

PunkStep

2 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

I don’t even think you have to be a paedo to get your name changed anymore, Moo does it for free. 

You get a polite shakedown post name change alright. I chucked him a few bob because I've done this place rent free for 16 years in fairness, but if he slaps 'Paid Member' on me I might throw him another tenner to take it back off. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 9:43 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Probably a bit of an open secret but my 16yo is a trans man. I've seen and heard both sides of it - people deliberately misgendering him for whatever their spiteful reasons are and people who are making a genuine mistake. He knows the difference and so do I and he doesn't get upset if people make a genuine mistake. I'd say it was the same for 95% of trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people.

It can be upsetting when somebody you know regularly makes the mistake though. It's usually masking that person's actual feelings about the pronouns and gender issues in our experience. 

Hi. I would like to ask you a few things about trans people. I would say I'm pro trans myself. I have a few concerns about things like womens sports but I don't have all the information.

The impression I've always got is that most trans people don't deny biological sex is a real thing. But they argue that gender is a man made thing. Which makes sense to me. You could argue that the gender of a women could be reinterpreted to mean not just biological women, same for men. It seems to me that most anti trans people don't even understand this concept. Which makes it hard to take anything they say seriously after that 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, no user name said:

If your talking to me the question is am I understanding the interpretation of gender and biological sex right 

I don't know why you're asking me? Especially as your question and original post have little to do with what I said.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I don't know why you're asking me? Especially as your question and original post have little to do with what I said.

You said you had a trans son? So I assumed he had talked to you about the difference between gender and biological sex(gender)

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, no user name said:

You said you had a trans son? So I assumed he had talked to you about the difference between gender and biological sex(gender)

No. He talks to me about The Traitors and if we've got any pizza left.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

People do struggle with the distinction (or pretend to struggle with it to barely mask their transphobia). People will think (or dishonestly claim) that saying  gender is a social construct means you’re denying biology. However, most of them know if they’re honest with themselves that one can ask the question “what is a woman” and not purely be talking about biology.

They also know full well that they will see how a person presents and make the call on whether they think they’re a man or woman without asking to see their genitals or carrying out any tests, so there is clearly more to it than chromosomes.

Same with race, where nobody is denying the physical and genetic differences between people, but the categories and where we draw the lines are obviously things we’ve made up. Like how someone with a white parent and a black parent will be referred to as black or mixed, but not as white. 

I can’t remember if it was Contrapoints or another trans video essayist on YouTube who also used the analogy of biological vs adopted parents. Where if you were speaking to a child you knew was adopted and they introduced their adoptive father as “this is my dad” you wouldn’t go “errrm ACTUALLY he’s not, stop denying biology!” Unless you were a real arsehole. You would understand that this person has taken on the social role of being that child’s parent and you would accept that. Almost as if there’s more to the concept of being a father than providing sperm. 

It’s a big societal change, a lot of people still don’t encounter many trans people day to day, or haven’t given much thought to their existence and its implications before, there are many many legal and practical implications surrounding transitioning to tackle going forward. Discourse around this is entirely valid, but yeah, trying to say that trans people are lying about/denying biology is nonsense. 

Edited by JLM

9 minutes ago, JLM said:

People do struggle with the distinction (or pretend to struggle with it to barely mask their transphobia). People will think (or dishonestly claim) that saying  gender is a social construct means you’re denying biology, but most of them know if they’re honest with themselves that one can ask the question “what is a woman” and not purely be talking about biology.

They also know full well that they will see how a person presents and make the call on whether they think they’re a man or woman without asking to see their genitals or carrying out any tests, so there is clearly more to it than chromosomes.

Same with race, where nobody is denying the physical and genetic differences between people, but the categories and where we draw the lines are obviously things we’ve made up. Like how someone with a white parent and a black parent will be referred to as black or mixed, but not as white. 

I can’t remember if it was Contrapoints or another trans video essayist on YouTube who also used the analogy of biological vs adopted parents. Where if you were speaking to a child you knew was adopted and they introduced their adoptive father as “this is my dad” you wouldn’t go “errrm ACTUALLY he’s not, stop denying biology!” Unless you were a real arsehole. You would understand that this person has taken on the social role of being that child’s parent and you would accept that. Almost as if there’s more to the concept of being a father than providing sperm. 

It’s a big societal change, it’s not something a lot of people encounter day to day or have had to consider before, there are many many legal and practical implications surrounding it going forward. Discourse around it is entirely valid, but yeah, trying to say that trans people are lying about/denying biology is nonsense. 

See its always seemed that simple to me. I figured there must be more tonight than that. But then I remember people can be assholes. Unfortunately it's a problem among people who it really shouldn't be. My sister is a councilor and she didn't seem to get the difference. 

Obviously there are things that need to be sorted out. But unfortunately people use it to justify transphobia. I think in 20 years a lot of it will seem pretty ridiculous. Like when people say you can't say they instead of he she because it's not a pronoun. Even though the English language has changed multiple times. If someone said that I don't tend to listen to anything they say as I know most of it will be bollocks