woke.

PunkStep

I think this belongs here but I'm not sure. The furore over the casting of a black actress to play Juliet in Romeo and Juliet is mind boggling. Why are people so mad about a fictional character being portrayed by someone who isn't white? I was talking to a friend who is a drag queen about this the other day and I really despair at how much England has gone backwards in the last 10 years or so. I never thought I would look back at my life and think that the 2000's were the golden years of tolerance but it really seems like they were the peak and everything has gone ass backwards since, they concerned that their experience was pretty much the same.

Oh I know the answer it just astounds me that we aren't past this yet. Its something that has been debated to death over the last few years and people are still getting there knickers in a twist about it. Is Juliet's appearance even described in Romeo & Juliet?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I think this belongs here but I'm not sure. The furore over the casting of a black actress to play Juliet in Romeo and Juliet is mind boggling. Why are people so mad about a fictional character being portrayed by someone who isn't white? I was talking to a friend who is a drag queen about this the other day and I really despair at how much England has gone backwards in the last 10 years or so. I never thought I would look back at my life and think that the 2000's were the golden years of tolerance but it really seems like they were the peak and everything has gone ass backwards since, they concerned that their experience was pretty much the same.

History often moves like this, though. The pendulum swings one way, as people fight for their world to be better, and then the pendulum swings back when those who benefited from the previous eras start to weaponise the anger of those who feel like they were left behind by the progressives by telling them they never figured in the plan, or at worst are having their own way of life threatened by the changes pushed for. Then there's a load of grief and fighting, and the process begins again.

I still maintain some optimism; I feel like we're on an upward spiral, in that everything keeps coming around full circle and we go through a lot of the sameĀ kindĀ of shit again, but at least one or two things are better than the last cycle. I just hope we manage to sort ourselves out before we blow ourselves up.

• Paid Members

I saw a great post about it somewhere that boiled down to "you know Juliet was oiginally played by a boy, right?" It really is an awful state of affairs when people get upset by such things. Didn't they kick off when a black actress was cast as Hermoine in that wizard play as well? The other, similar furore was when they found the earliest fossil of a British person a few years back, and when they reconstructed it with computers realised that they probably had dark skin because they'd come over from Europe/Africa originally. Mind you I'm one of those weirdoes who tells people if Jesus was to come back he wouldn't get into America because of the colour of his skin, and St George wouldn't be do very well in England because of his being Syrian.

Technically as a non-binary person I'm "trans" as well, simply on account of not being the gender I was assigned at birth. All people want to do is exist, but the media and government make it all this horrible thing to try and protect their cushy little statuses. I got a pinbadge on Temu that sums it up well. It says "Equal rights for others doesn't mean fewer rights for you. It's not pie."

12 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Oh I know the answer it just astounds me that we aren't past this yet. Its something that has been debated to death over the last few years and people are still getting there knickers in a twist about it. Is Juliet's appearance even described in Romeo & Juliet?

I'm not sure, I always found Shakespeare boring.

To your earlier point about the 2000s being the golden years if tolerance, I think you're sort of right. Look at Hayley in Corrie, which was (and I might be wrong) the first openly trans character in a major TV show, and by and large, one of the most positive (and positively received) portrayals of all time.

We've gone massively backwards and it's all for bullshit reasons.

8 minutes ago, Chili said:

Juliet has been portrayed as a zombie, a gnome and a seal in different versions, adaptions and productions. Naturally a person of colour playing her is obviously a bit daft.

So the roleĀ hasĀ previously been played by a black man and no one kicked off.Ā 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

So the roleĀ hasĀ previously been played by a black man and no one kicked off.Ā 

Well, he did compare a woman to a kiss from a rose on the grave, can't get more Shakespearean than that

Does anyone else wanna see a black James Bond just because it will be so funny seeing so many peopleĀ  get so mad over it?Ā  And thenĀ  try to explain why they aren't racist they just don't think bond can be played by a black person?Ā 

Edited by no user name

4 minutes ago, no user name said:

Does anyone else wanna see a black James Bond just because it will be so funny seeing so many peopleĀ  get so mad over it?Ā  And thenĀ  try to explain why they aren't racist they just don't think bond can be played by a black person?Ā 

This is a fantastic post. Bravo.