woke.

PunkStep

• Paid Members

Fuck me, can we fire this word into the seventh layer of hell? It loses more meaning, if it even had any in the first place, every single day.

I'm losing track of what it actually means now, but the simple way of looking at it to me is this: being woke=not being a cunt. And that's apparently a bad thing. 

The Daily Mail, ran by a bunch of small willied white men afraid of anything darker than builder's tea have decided to have a pop at British tradesmen, would you believe (obv not linking them directly):

The GMB have responded today:

Is this word the worst thing to come out of people's mouths (and when I say mouths, I mean alt-right fingertips or Russian funded bot accounts) in recent years?

• Paid Members

Two thirds of builders don't have fried breakfasts?

britishjournalism.jpg.e598684834958bf2fa7561975814cbcf.jpg

In all seriousness, half the time I hear people or groups being described as woke, I have no idea what it is that they're referring to, and a headline like this leaves me further baffled.

Isn't wokeness meant to be a good thing? Something to do with detaching yourself from institutionalised prejudices and biases that have become ingrained in our society? Where does asking your workmate if they're okay, or having a Weetabix come into that?

(Incidentally, I had a fried breakfast four days in a row last week 'cos I was shacked up in a hotel with work. I felt like shite by day 4, and would have welcomed a Shredded Wheat).

• Paid Members

Mail in “finding something that upsets them about genuine working class people” shock.

Woke is the new “politically correct” E.g. 

6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

not being a cunt

It used to be about prejudices, now it extends to self care and just about any modern way of thinking that doesn’t represent a picture of what life SHOULD be like for these tossers still stuck in the 50s where men were men, stiff upper lip and wifey will have dinner on the table before you get home.

Fuck the Mail and those that read it.

6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

obv not linking them directly):

Linking that cunt Felton is just as bad :)

In all seriousness it's clearly a word that has lost all meaning and is now used to pop a certain demographic, but that has been the case forever. 

I'm glad builders are being more healthy, but there's nothing wrong with a greasy spoon a few times a week for them.

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Linking that cunt Felton is just as bad :)

In all seriousness it's clearly a word that has lost all meaning and is now used to pop a certain demographic, but that has been the case forever. 

Agreed on both points.

Edited by Factotum

The most telling bit of the mail shite is how working class people educating themselves is something they find abhorrent. Real “Stay in your lane, know your place” garbage. 

I think it’s a piece of piss to create a “Conservative commentator” persona. I’m sure they think the same about left wing commentators but whenever they spew their opinions for money I can’t accept they actually believe them and are just playing to the crowd. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

The most telling bit of the mail shite is how working class people educating themselves is something they find abhorrent. Real “Stay in your lane, know your place” garbage. 

As Idles said, “the best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich”. 

• Paid Members

Thing is it's not a word that was ever really meant to describe liberals. It was invented by black Americans to talk about the specific issues of oppression of their community by the establishment. 

All the right have basically done is seen a word that people on the left use more frequently, and Stewart Lee-ed it. They don't have to know what it's about, or even what it's not; it's just become a short-hand for them to tell all good righties what they think they shouldn't be.

At this point, they're just flinging the word around like a monkey flinging shit. Like the term "virtue-signalling".

47 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

As Idles said, “the best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich”. 

Big fan of middle class people telling working class people what to do to scare middle class people.