woke.

PunkStep

• Paid Members

No idea if this is the right thread for this but balls to it.

17yo was invited by The Proud Trust in Manchester to take part in a series of interviews they're shooting for their website at The Proud Place, just off Oxford Road near MMU. The interviews are a mix of people who run the charity and various groups under its umbrella (he goes to the Stockport one on Wednesday evenings) and those who have been supported by the service in various different ways. I got invited along because I've become friends with the person who runs the Stockport group, and I just wanted to support 17yo in case he found it a bit much.

It was a brilliant experience. Listening to him talk to a neutral party about his experiences of being a trans kid and now a young adult, the difficulties at school and meeting other people like him was an eye-opener and an education. We were then chatting to the film crew at the end and the people who run the place about our shared experiences as dad and son and they decided to shoot an extra segment with the both of us chatting about our relationship and how I've changed as a parent in the last several years.

The nicest people, just wanting to help and look after young people who need it so much. I'm so thankful places like that exist.

They made the mistake of letting us in their photo booth though.

000101_004707nameprint_layout_2858562_41.thumb.jpg.38b48ee64ae6c0e6955bea974ba975e5.jpg

Really interesting interview with Daniel Radcliffe, where he addressed the Rowling issue.

Behind a pay wall so I unlocked it for you as I'm super woke.

https://archive.is/gYs5Q 

If you don't want to read the whole thing: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/may/01/daniel-radcliffe-says-rupture-with-jk-rowling-over-trans-rights-is-really-sad

Sometimes I wish he wasn’t such an absolute top bloke and lovely guy and tell people to fuck off every time they ask him about her. He must be sick to the back teeth having to field questions about her constantly, and knowing him essentially saying there“No comment except I will still support lgbtq communities” already has shitrags banging on about a war of words with her.

Great line there about how he knows Harry Potter will be the first line of his obituary but the rest of that obituary is what he does since. 

And all awards are shit, with the exception of the UKFF ones, but it’s lovely he’s been nominated for a Tony. A really talented and lovely fella!

Despite the best efforts of my better half I've never been a fan of Harry Potter, but I've been really impressed with some of Radcliffes work and I think he's carried himself extremely well. It's no exaggeration to say that he became one of the most recognisable people on earth at an age where I was effectively useless, and in those cases there are no guarantees how things are going to play out. Some people go off the rails completely, some acting careers are finished before they've been able to legally buy a pint, and the level of success he's had should be no means be taken for granted. A Tony award is a big deal, and if anyone's yet to see Imperium make it a priority to see it. 

I don't know if he welcomes the opportunity to contribute towards the trans debate, but the way he's been positioned by other people is extremely unfair. 

He's great fun in Miracle Workers and incredibly game for whatever weirdness they threw at him episode to episode (the boulder fetish / having sex with a boulder is probably the peak). I realise that poking fun at yourself and looking silly is kinda celebrity 101 these days but there's this earnestness to it all that is very endearing

11 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

Some people go off the rails completely, some acting careers are finished before they've been able to legally buy a pint

I think that’s testament to the crew and actors of the series. As you say there’s usually tales of child actor spirals but even with all the child actors in the series, they all came out unscathed, bar DRs brief dalliance with drink. Alan Rickman in particular seemed to have a wonderful relationship with them. 

I love how Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) says whenever he was in Los Angeles he’d phone up DR and when he picked up, Felton would leave a pause before spitting out a “Potter”.  The Boy Who Lived is such a moving documentary filled with such strong bonds of love between friends. 

Since television began hasn’t there always been people crying hysterically about what you can and can’t do on it and hasn’t the best stuff always risen above criticism and found a way through? It’s disappointing that the least edgy comedian of all time has taken the typical stance that old comedians take but it’s not too surprising. I doubt he even believes it. He’s just starred in the finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm for fucks sake. Hardly a show that shied away from controversial topics yet still found a way to make them funny without punching down.

31 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I know we all love Seinfeld the show but let's be honest.. His stand up has never been that great, he can't act, he's not really done anything particularly good since Seinfeld, and that went downhill after Larry left. Why should anyone really care what he thinks?

And a bit noncey with 17 year olds.