woke.

PunkStep

I think the whole anger at people being offended by you genuinely mispronouncing their pronouns is a bit of a fallacy. Outside of Twitter, Reddit and the odd person people aren’t getting offended at being misgendered by mistake. Sure if you go out of your way to purposely misgender a person then they’re within their rights to kick off but us innocent ‘normies’ aren’t being persecuted for our blissful ignorance no matter how hard we try to be.

• Paid Members
Just now, Mr_Danger said:

I think the whole anger at people being offended by you genuinely mispronouncing their pronouns is a bit of a fallacy. Outside of Twitter, Reddit and the odd person people aren’t getting offended at being misgendered by mistake. Sure if you go out of your way to purposely misgender a person then they’re within their rights to kick off but us innocent ‘normies’ aren’t being persecuted for our blissful ignorance no matter how hard we try to be.

Probably a bit of an open secret but my 16yo is a trans man. I've seen and heard both sides of it - people deliberately misgendering him for whatever their spiteful reasons are and people who are making a genuine mistake. He knows the difference and so do I and he doesn't get upset if people make a genuine mistake. I'd say it was the same for 95% of trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people.

It can be upsetting when somebody you know regularly makes the mistake though. It's usually masking that person's actual feelings about the pronouns and gender issues in our experience. 

2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Probably a bit of an open secret but my 16yo is a trans man. I've seen and heard both sides of it - people deliberately misgendering him for whatever their spiteful reasons are and people who are making a genuine mistake. He knows the difference and so do I and he doesn't get upset if people make a genuine mistake. I'd say it was the same for 95% of trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people.

It can be upsetting when somebody you know regularly makes the mistake though. It's usually masking that person's actual feelings about the pronouns and gender issues in our experience. 

Given the toxicity surrounding it all, and what I imagine must be a horrible world to be a teenager in, I think it’s a testament to his upbringing that he has the confidence tell you this. It says to me that he has a father who supports, understands, and loves him. You’re proud of him and rightly so, and I suspect he’s equally as proud of you. And rightfully so. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Wait until the Daily Mail hears about this woman called Audrey Hepburn.

Two things Dev, Audrey was born in Belgium so the Mail would class her as an immigrant who came over here and took a British job, and she started making films in the late 1940s which is at least 100 years ahead of the mindset of the average Mail reader. 

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Two things Dev, Audrey was born in Belgium so the Mail would class her as an immigrant who came over here and took a British job, and she started making films in the late 1940s which is at least 100 years ahead of the mindset of the average Mail reader. 

But they love the 40s don’t they? Everything was great back then- Buzz bombs, Rickets - wonderful. Much better than these days

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

But they love the 40s don’t they? Everything was great back then- Buzz bombs, Rickets - wonderful. Much better than these days

Alright, Jasper 😉

• 1 month later...