Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I'd known of but not listened to Lapsed Fan but saw they're doing a Hogan in TNA arc do had to give them a try. Are they usually like seven hours an episode?

Yeah. They’re great for deep dives, but it’s long and self indulgent. I stopped listening a while ago but they were great when I worked in an office and needed quantity.

• Paid Members

Over the past month I went back and listened to their Montreal screwjob stuff. It must have been 12 hours in total, listening on my daily commute and any other long drives I had.

The Lapsed Fan is very thorough but I need to be interested in the timeframe/subject they’re talking about to be able to invest that much time on a podcast.

They’re very witty and clearly do their homework though, you come out knowing stuff you weren’t aware of before. 

Edited by garynysmon

I really wish I had all that Lapsed Fan content to enjoy, but I won't be able to do so until an AI goes and takes out Boss's constant back and forth impersonation improvs with himself. 

• hallicks changed the title to Wrestling podcasts 2023
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Oh no - is Regal a fan?

he sort of talks around it - says that he saw him a lot in Blackpool, and how solid his act was then, and how everyone ripped him off, and how the racist stuff was all a persona he adopted later on. He basically keeps repeating that he was brilliant once but that he wouldn't recommend anyone watch his stuff now. It's not very convincing, and if it were just about wanting to talk about the craft of old-school comics, I'm sure he could have come up with an example who didn't pivot to full-brown racial abuse for the majority of his career.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I'm sure he could have come up with an example who didn't pivot to full-brown racial abuse for the majority of his career.

There’s a couple off the top of my head.  Les Dawson and Mick Miller.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

There’s a couple off the top of my head.  Les Dawson and Mick Miller.

Regal has often touted Mick Miller as his favourite comic on Twitter, as it happens. Think they are old mates too.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Been watching the little snippets of Maven on Rene Dupree’s podcast that have been popping up in my recommended videos this week. Clicked on one video by accident and left it playing and was pleasantly surprised how entertaining a talker Maven is. Definitely gonna give more of his interviews a chance if I stumble across any. Just goes to show you don’t have to have had a stellar career in wrestling to make a good interview. And I often find it’s the lower card guys who weren’t big stars that have the best stories to tell because usually they’ve moved on and aren’t so stuck up their own arse or desperately still trying to put themselves over.

On Dean Malenko as an agent;

On steroids;