Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

If ancillary Bryan Danielson content is your bag, he chats for 2 hours with Da Meltz and Garrett Gonzalez on Observer Radio: 

https://www.f4wonline.com/podcasts/wrestling-observer-radio/wrestling-observer-radio-bryan-danielson-interview

Probably subscribers only, so apologies in advance. Unsurprisingly, he’s very nice about WWE, talks about books, is very anti social media, tries to describe what Butlins is, and talks loads about wrestling. Fascinating listen. 

Edited by hallicks
NY

• 2 weeks later...

Regal on the latest Talk is Jericho is an (unsurprisingly) excellent listen.  He gets very emotional at times and the health difficulties he's experienced over the past few years (which I don't think were reported at all?) sound absolutely horrific.  Being told he was going to lose his leg, being told he had 6 months to live, multiple surgeries.  It sounds like a miracle he's still here.  Plenty of great stories mixed in there, and a part 2 to follow next week. 

There aren't many podcast guests in wrestling that touch Regal. He's always the best mix of candid and respectful. That new Jericho pod is one of the best episodes of anything that I've listened to in yonks. 

Credit to Jericho for letting him go as well. It's not always a comfortable listen but you get the impression it was much needed catharsis for Regal.

One question I do have about Regals podcast is after he speaks about the Misawa tragedy he then refers to it just happening again; was this a reference to Eddie dropping Jericho on his head or the Big E injury? I’m sure Meltzer said this had been recorded a little while ago 

Cheers for the Regal recomendation. Just listened to it and its fantastic. Its crazy that, to the best of my knowledge, none of these health issues were reported at the time. In this day and age, you think the word would have spread about at least one of these incidents.

I get the vibe listening from this, that Regal has spent alot of time thinking about his mortality. With all the health issues hes gone through recently, I guess that would be normal.

Thought Id add some video links associated with his stories from the pod:

Regal breaks his neck during the German Suplex finish (the replay shows a better angle). He doesnt know/get it fixed until over 20 years later. By the time he gets it fixed, the doctors looking at his neck say he should be in a wheelchair. He has to have 4 disks fused, which apparantly is very rare. The unfixed neck problems lead to big sleeping issues in his life, which in turn leads to the pill problems.

Danielson vs Regal. Regal tears his meniscus in his knee the night before. He has to be helped into the building that day. Thinking it will be his last match, he wants to put Danielson over, so goes through with the match. Regal gets emotional about how Danielson is so good that he even works on the bad leg through the match (Regal says its his right knee that is torn but Danielson works on the left leg during this match, so not sure if this is accurate) and doesnt make things worse. Despite being Superstars, Vince McMahon greets them both when they walk back and shakes their hands. Vince says to Regal "That guy will make a great villan one day".

Regal gets emotional about this picture. He was given two days to get 16 (plus reserves) UK wrestlers for a tournment, whilst being in Australia at the time. You can even see from this pic how proud he is.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Paid Members

I love that Regal manages to be really matter of fact about some genuine body horror medical stories and coming close to death, but the two times he gets openly emotional are about Bryan Danielson carrying him to a good match, and about a few British wrestlers doing him proud by scrubbing up alright.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Dai said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I will never stop getting a kick out of the fact the back of my head is in this picture. We got to interview Regal and Robbie Brookside (and later PAC and Finn Balor too), but I could happily have listened to Regal talk for hours. What a man he is. 

Sounds like there’s going to be another Regal episode of Talk is Jericho (next week perhaps?) where I’m guessing they’ll talk more about what happened with his WWE release and how he ended up in AEW. This week’s episode spent more time than expected talking about his health problems but I agree, it was a fascinating listen.

• Paid Members

Thanks for that Regal recommendation, i'll have a listen later. 

I think I overdosed on wrestling podcasts in general though, i used to listen to a ton but have unsubscribed to most feeds. 

Are there any new ones worth giving a go?

28 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Keeping it in the family?

I think it might be a matter of last resort. If they really wanted to work together they would have started together.

Conrad at the very least is business first, and knows Ric Flair is toxic in many circles and a pain to manage. 

Edited by Infinity Land