Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

I can't handle loud, close up mouth sounds for long periods that are played for comedy so I had to completely abandon TLF, each episode I try and get back into now there's a moment where the impressions lad will make a sound like raw chicken in a cement mixer and the other one will cry like he's watching Blackadder 2 for the first time

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm going back through them. It's no exaggeration that those 3x lads got me through some of the worst times in my life a few years back.Ā 

I absolutely love them and hope they're all doing really well.

I wish theyā€™d make a return and do a pod covering other periods in wrestling history or maybe more from other promotions. Obviously it couldnā€™t be called New Gen but who cares?Ā 

1 minute ago, wandshogun09 said:

I wish theyā€™d make a return and do a pod covering other periods in wrestling history or maybe more from other promotions. Obviously it couldnā€™t be called New Gen but who cares?Ā 

I don't want to speak out of turn, but I know Stewart suffered quite a bit with his MH towards the end, and it sounded like he had a fairly full on/stressful job, which probably didn't help.Ā 

I just loved it. It was really comforting and familiar, and I swapped messages with Stewart about 90s emo music a few times, and he just seemed like a lovely guy.

• Paid Members

NGP worked well because you had a likable & knowledgeable main host and two likeable but less knowledgeable people around them. It was also tightly edited, even when the runtime grew towards the end or that one where Adam was too hungover to finish šŸ˜„

When a show is all wrestling nerds or people in wrestling it's a bit dry and the humor can be awful, without a knowledge base at the center it's annoying to hear stuff you know is wrong. I always liked NGP hitting the sweet spot.

Edited by Tommy!

• Awards Moderator
24 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

NGP worked well because you had a likable & knowledgeable main host and two likeable but less knowledgeable people around them. It was also tightly edited, even when the runtime grew towards the end or that one where Adam was too hungover to finish šŸ˜„

When a show is all wrestling nerds or people in wrestling it's a bit dry and the humor can be awful, without a knowledge base at the center it's annoying to hear stuff you know is wrong. I always liked NGP hitting the sweet spot.

Itā€™s the reason Wrestle Me worked so well too. It wouldnā€™t have been half as fun if Pete knew as much as Marc.

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Agreed. Sometimes on the first listen Scrivens would really annoy me. I still liked him but he would often grate with his lack of knowledge. On a re listen, I've loved it. It works so well. Stewart is super knowledgeable, Adam is pretty knowledgeable and Scrivens is a bit knowledgeable.Ā 

It's a great balance.

#AmericanMalesAmericanMales

Is it just me or has Big Kev's podcast fallen off a cliff in recent weeks/months? It's understandable that he's been through the worst shit but many weeks just feel antagonistic or there's the worst lengthy rants against the imagined "blue haired extreme left that wants to trans the kids".

Or he's just totally uninterested in the conversations that Sean is trying to start.

The OSW Review of AEW All In is a whopper, and a cracker. It clocks in at 2 and a half hours and is well worth watching, and that's without any of the Punk fallout (next episode apparently)

No idea when it's on YouTube but if anyone cant wait until then, chuck us a message.Ā 

OOC: "I hate wrestling fans"

I love that man.

On 11/5/2023 at 10:04 PM, SuperBacon said:

Agreed. Sometimes on the first listen Scrivens would really annoy me. I still liked him but he would often grate with his lack of knowledge. On a re listen, I've loved it. It works so well. Stewart is super knowledgeable, Adam is pretty knowledgeable and Scrivens is a bit knowledgeable.Ā 

It's a great balance.

#AmericanMalesAmericanMales

I think a lot of its charm is that the 3 of them are so good friends. You can hear the enjoyment in their voices when one of them drops a clanger and they play off each other fantastically. Roll on an attitude era series with Stu/Slightly confused sidekick & Steph McGovans future husband (ok the last one is....well)

On 11/6/2023 at 3:13 PM, Merzbow said:

Is it just me or has Big Kev's podcast fallen off a cliff in recent weeks/months? It's understandable that he's been through the worst shit but many weeks just feel antagonistic or there's the worst lengthy rants against the imagined "blue haired extreme left that wants to trans the kids".

Or he's just totally uninterested in the conversations that Sean is trying to start.

I tapped out of Big Kev's a couple of months in. It was just too long for me to stay interested in. Why not just have a crisp 60 minute episode, where they do the usual weekly stuff and then delve into one topic from the past. I think I'd listen to alot more wrestling ones if they weren't all 120+ mins

19 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

The OSW Review of AEW All In is a whopper, and a cracker. It clocks in at 2 and a half hours and is well worth watching, and that's without any of the Punk fallout (next episode apparently)

No idea when it's on YouTube but if anyone cant wait until then, chuck us a message.Ā 

OOC: "I hate wrestling fans"

I love that man.

On YouTube tonight.

• Paid Members
On 11/6/2023 at 3:13 PM, Merzbow said:

I have always loved Big Daddy Cool, so thought I'd probably be a big fan of his podcast. But I tried listening to an episode for the first time a few weeks ago and realised that it would probably be for the best if I never did it again.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 11/5/2023 at 2:37 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Iā€™ve tried a few times with The Lapsed Fan and I always end up tapping out halfway through some 4 hour episode. The episodes are just too long and can stray way off the subject for about 40 minutes at a time sometimes. Also, the one host (not the one who does the impressions), his voice and the way he talks really grates on me. Or heā€™ll spend literally a fucking hour thanking the patrons. ā€œThanks for the FUCKING CHEDDARā€¦IN MY ASS!!ā€ With extra emphasis on the word ā€œfuckingā€ like a kid whoā€™s finally able to swear out loud because his mumā€™s gone out. Piss off. I actually find the impression guy amusing in small doses but thatā€™s the problem, there isnā€™t really such thing as ā€˜small dosesā€™ when it comes to TLF. He does a good Vince McMahon and heā€™ll occasionally come out with a line that kills me. But then heā€™ll milk that line for 10 minutes straight.Ā 

I want to like TLF because thereā€™s so much content there and theyā€™ve covered a lot of topics Iā€™m interested in. Itā€™d be a godsend when I start banging out the night shifts coming up to Christmas. But I never stick with it. Thereā€™s obviously good stuff in there but you have to sift through a lot of shite to get to it.

Might give the Funk ones a go though based on your post @Merzbow

I tried TLF based on recommendations here and I couldn't take more than 10 minutes of them screaming. It just grated on me.Ā 

I also tried Wrestle Me based on a recommendation in this thread and now it's my favourite podcast, I sub to their Patreon, and I'm halfway through the back catalogue too.Ā 

It's worth trying new stuff for sure - but this is the only place I'd take recommendations from. The members here seem sound and generally grounded with a decent sense of humour