Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

Yeah must admit I was really disappointed with that, it was brilliant when it first started, consistently good and Foley came across really well, but couple of months ago they said he'll only be doing 1 a month now, and it's been about 6 weeks since the last one and you could tell he clearly couldn't be arsed anymore. Stuffing his face was awful and he veered back into his weirdo terroritory with whoever those indie women wrestlers with him were.

Real shame but I imagine it'll be sacked off soon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Well this proved a proper treat.

I owned (still own, actually...) all the FWA MyTV shows on video, then attended the majority of shows that fed into the Wrestling Channel run, so very much looking forward to the rest.

Just had something pop up on my news feed that The Undertaker is starting a Patreon, and it looks pretty much like there will be podcasts as part of it. I know hes done plenty of interviews these last few years, but theres surely a tonne of gold in going on some deep dives of certain matches/events/wrestlers from his past. The stuff from the 90s would be particularly of interest Id say.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Listening to Blue Lives Mark actually talk in interviews etc is fucking horrid though, but there's an entire thread just on why he's a twat. I can't say I'd listen for free, let alone paying.

Plenty will though. He has a particularly dedicated fanbase, amazingly enough.

Wasn’t he charging like £200 an autograph or photo at For the Love of Wrestling in Liverpool just before the pandemic? They sold in no time and he was even hid behind a cretin in case the great unwashed even got a glimpse of him.

Edited by garynysmon

42 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Plenty will though. He has a particularly dedicated fanbase, amazingly enough.

Wasn’t he charging like £200 an autograph or photo at For the Love of Wrestling in Liverpool just before the pandemic? They sold in no time and he was even hid behind a cretin in case the great unwashed even got a glimpse of him.

Think it was around £150 for a photo and £150 for an autograph. Probably a bit more. Even so, still a lot of money. And a Hell of a lot of people queued for that so God only knows how much money Mark made from that weekend. His one man show that he’s been doing around the world before the big WWE PLEs isn’t cheap either. Nor was his Inside The Ropes show where they weren’t allowed to do a Q&A (presumably because WWE complained).

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been listening to The Lapsed Funk era of TLF?

It feels like it's freshened up the act a bit, there are still the impressions but they're not quite as long but there seems to be genuine love there. It was nice hearing how hyped they were during the Funks vs Butcher and Sheik matches.

The first couple of episodes about the Boys Ranch was something else though.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I’ve tried a few times with The Lapsed Fan and I always end up tapping out halfway through some 4 hour episode. The episodes are just too long and can stray way off the subject for about 40 minutes at a time sometimes. Also, the one host (not the one who does the impressions), his voice and the way he talks really grates on me. Or he’ll spend literally a fucking hour thanking the patrons. “Thanks for the FUCKING CHEDDAR…IN MY ASS!!” With extra emphasis on the word “fucking” like a kid who’s finally able to swear out loud because his mum’s gone out. Piss off. I actually find the impression guy amusing in small doses but that’s the problem, there isn’t really such thing as ‘small doses’ when it comes to TLF. He does a good Vince McMahon and he’ll occasionally come out with a line that kills me. But then he’ll milk that line for 10 minutes straight. 

I want to like TLF because there’s so much content there and they’ve covered a lot of topics I’m interested in. It’d be a godsend when I start banging out the night shifts coming up to Christmas. But I never stick with it. There’s obviously good stuff in there but you have to sift through a lot of shite to get to it.

Might give the Funk ones a go though based on your post @Merzbow

1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’ve tried a few times with The Lapsed Fan and I always end up tapping out halfway through some 4 hour episode. The episodes are just too long and can stray way off the subject for about 40 minutes at a time sometimes. Also, the one host (not the one who does the impressions), his voice and the way he talks really grates on me. Or he’ll spend literally a fucking hour thanking the patrons. “Thanks for the FUCKING CHEDDAR…IN MY ASS!!” With extra emphasis on the word “fucking” like a kid who’s finally able to swear out loud because his mum’s gone out. Piss off. I actually find the impression guy amusing in small doses but that’s the problem, there isn’t really such thing as ‘small doses’ when it comes to TLF. He does a good Vince McMahon and he’ll occasionally come out with a line that kills me. But then he’ll milk that line for 10 minutes straight. 

I want to like TLF because there’s so much content there and they’ve covered a lot of topics I’m interested in. It’d be a godsend when I start banging out the night shifts coming up to Christmas. But I never stick with it. There’s obviously good stuff in there but you have to sift through a lot of shite to get to it.

Might give the Funk ones a go though based on your post @Merzbow

This. I really tried with possibly the Von Erich episodes but the other fella just did my head in and the impression fella just pounds it into the ground.

They ground me down with the 30 week journey arc they done on the first 30 WrestleManias. I say they ground me down...I sort of let them ground me down. I was gloomy this summer so used to just walk 10,000 steps every evening and kept reading that it was kinda part of the deal that they seemed really obnoxious until you just kept listening. It's basically the absolute time-luxury (easier with podcasts than anything else) of just letting something become a habit. 

I couldn't even tell you what I get from it even now, only that it's a hell of a lot of content and they're kind of just the two wrestling mates in my head on walks. Even the main selling point of them being a deep dive, I don't think I've ever gotten many facts from them I didn't already know. The ass humour is embarrassing. They get quite a lot of dates wrong. The way impressions guy grinds everything to a halt so he can make pedantic corrections to the other guy is annoying. 

But it's a few hours where I whack them on and just start re-remembering whatever show it is they're talking about. I use it like I imagine people use the Network, only I'm not paying for that junk anymore. 

It's also a post-New Gen Project world, mind you. Slim pickings. I have no interest in the over-saturation of Save with Conrad chats. So Lapsed Fan it is. 

• Paid Members

I tend to pick and choose what episodes of the Lapsed Fan I listen to, but generally I find most of them hilarious.

As novel an idea as it was, listening through hour upon hour of the Vince steroid trial series was something I couldn’t bare.

That said, I’ve started re-listening to their Summerslam 92 episode and excerpts from Bruce Hart and Diana’s books have been cracking me up, as well as British Bulldog’s “I’m fooked” references.

I can’t remember what episode it was but ‘Lapsed Vince’ trying to force a crippled Andre back to the ring in 1991 had me roaring with laughter in the car.

Edited by garynysmon