Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

• Paid Members

I find OSW entertaining enough to put on some of their YouTube videos as background, but their tastes are pretty bizarre when it comes to wrestling - I seem to remember them disliking Bret Vs Bulldog, and talking down some really great matches - and their frame of reference is pretty narrow; their review of the Heroes of Wrestling PPV is great fun, but they talk about Tommy Rogers as if he was a complete nobody because none of them had heard of him before, and I noticed that a lot in their stuff, a tendency to just write off wrestlers they hadn't previously heard of. So coming out with something like that about Alexa Bliss isn't surprising.

24 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I find OSW entertaining enough to put on some of their YouTube videos as background, but their tastes are pretty bizarre when it comes to wrestling - I seem to remember them disliking Bret Vs Bulldog, and talking down some really great matches - and their frame of reference is pretty narrow; their review of the Heroes of Wrestling PPV is great fun, but they talk about Tommy Rogers as if he was a complete nobody because none of them had heard of him before, and I noticed that a lot in their stuff, a tendency to just write off wrestlers they hadn't previously heard of. So coming out with something like that about Alexa Bliss isn't surprising.

Apt.

• Paid Members

Aye I’m a big fan of the OSW lot and actually enjoy their views being all over the place. It’s good to have representation that favours the likes of Lex and Test and can give or take workrate matches at times. They fall somewhere between smart and casual. 
The podcast would be boring otherwise.

21 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Ooh, that's a good tip. I've not listened to Stanhope's podcast in years. It all got a bit too much and sporadic but when I last left it, it was like a live redneck EastEnders for weeks on end.

Aye, I'd be a very sporadic listener but still subscribed. Any episode with Stanhope's manager Brian Hennigan (very interesting and dry sense of humour) or a decent guest I'll still listen to though. Regal episode was a good listen, show'd what the Matt Koon idiot could have dragged out of Regal if he had any clue or backbone!

Edited by DCW

I've really enjoyed OSW this year. The Lex Express stuff dragged on and on previously but they're back on form now. It's a comedy podcast and love letter to bollocks in wrestling, they're definitely not tastemakers nor intending to be. 

The German broadcaster ad libbing the "N-N-New World Order" bit had me on the floor. 

OSW did the Raw from the same night for Patreon, and its a shame, as that would've made a much better long review. It's the episode where Trips "beat" Shawn for the European title.

OSW is the only Patreon I subscribe to. They have provided me with so much free entertainment over the years, I felt the need to, and I'm a tight git!

Their reviews of The Room and Fatal Deviation have done as much for my MH as Sertraline. I probably watch one of them once a month. 

"Ya little Tully arsed bastard"

49 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

OSW did the Raw from the same night for Patreon, and its a shame, as that would've made a much better long review. It's the episode where Trips "beat" Shawn for the European title.

OSW is the only Patreon I subscribe to. They have provided me with so much free entertainment over the years, I felt the need to, and I'm a tight git!

Their reviews of The Room and Fatal Deviation have done as much for my MH as Sertraline. I probably watch one of them once a month. 

"Ya little Tully arsed bastard"

I believe they’ve said that they’re going to do that episode in long form in the future, which could mean they’re covering parts of 1997 as a future arc. Perhaps Bret coming back at Survivor Series 96 upto Austin winning the belt at WM14?

14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I believe they’ve said that they’re going to do that episode in long form in the future, which could mean they’re covering parts of 1997 as a future arc. Perhaps Bret coming back at Survivor Series 96 upto Austin winning the belt at WM14?

Been done superbly by New Gen Podcast to be honest. I know the OSW guys would have a different take on things, but I think there are better arcs to focus on.

That particular period on the New Gen podcast is so, so good. It's also the only wrestling podcast for me that nails another podcast trope I enjoy, which is just that ASMR vibe of being genuinely relaxing to listen to. Which wrestling podcasts almost never are because they're riddled with shouty shout boys. 

I prefer when OSW stick to the classics but admittedly that well is running dry. I'd consider 98 WCW still to be classic because it's quite cartoonish and over the top. The tawdry, everyone-wears-black of the Attitude Era doesn't suit them as much. A Ruthless Aggression run might be good. The Triple H reign of terror, or Smackdown 05/06 when they decided to cover it in 80s gimmicks again. 

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

That particular period on the New Gen podcast is so, so good. It's also the only wrestling podcast for me that nails another podcast trope I enjoy, which is just that ASMR vibe of being genuinely relaxing to listen to. Which wrestling podcasts almost never are because they're riddled with shouty shout boys. 

Yeah, I’ve been back to the New Gen Podcast more times than I remember. Oftentimes I’ll just pick an episode at random and then up listening to the end of the relevant year, they were so good at what they did, and I must admit that it was a huge influence on my podcasting style.

I reckon OSW will venture back to TNA soon enough, there’s still plenty for them to get their teeth into there

• Paid Members

New Gen was great. I don’t listen to many wrestling podcasts but I worked through all of them over the course of this year and really enjoyed it. I found all 3 hosts likeable, which obviously helped and is rare. There’s usually one who grates on me either for seeming a twat or just the sound of their voice but I liked all of the New Gen lot. I was a bit gutted when I got to the end and ran out of episodes, to be honest.