Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

• Paid Members

Yeah, im the same, most when im driving for me. But the clipped form is handy when there's just so many podcasts to listen too. I always say to myself thay i'm gonna focus on one, but I end up listening to one or two episodes then move onto something else.

As @wandshogun09 mentioned, the new SCG Radio is up, this time covering one of the most explosive periods in company history - March and WrestleMania 8. The company becomes overwhelmed with negative media press and controversy - drug allegations turns to sex scandal, key officials resign, Vince McMahon is accused of rape, the media hits the story hard with the famous Larry King, Donahue and Geraldo pieces, and amidst the whirlwind, Hulk Hogan leaves the WWF. And of course, we look at the booking heading into Mania 8, as Flair Vs. Savage picks up as Elizabeth takes centre stage, Bret Hart and Roddy Piper have a classic, and the Ultimate Warrior returns to the promotion. A supersized episode, but this is one you don't want to miss. Check it out and enjoy.

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/8hmn3q/SCG_Radio_170_-_The_WWF_In_1992_Part_29zhe9.mp3

• Paid Members

Dipped back into the Regal podcast this week because I noticed it was covering his time in Japan. I posted a video on the last page of an old Regal interview where he bashes Muta and I’ve been curious what his thoughts are on him these days, so I was hoping Muta would come up on this episode. Well right at the end of the show, they get to Muta, and Regal’s gushing with praise for him. I know time can change or soften a strong opinion but the way he went on in the old interview, saying he “had no respect for Muta” and felt like Muta treated him like he had no time for him, I didn’t expect him to give him both barrels but it was a bit weird that he didn’t even touch on at least having differences with him in trying to lay out a match and stuff. It’s not like anything has changed since, I think they had two singles matches in New Japan. One in 1995 and one in 1997. That old interview would’ve been after those matches and it’s not like they’ve wrestled since and I doubt they’ve been around each other much, if at all, since then. I mean, I get he doesn’t wanna bury people on the podcast but to just tell a completely different version of events to what he’s told before kind of makes me question some of the other stories he tells. I know wrestlers aren’t know for being completely truthful but before he started this podcast I thought Regal was one of the few who’d be more straight with his answers. He’s besmirching his good name with shite like this. 

Regal tells nothing straight at all on his podcast. If he’s not verbally shagging Finlay he’s spending 10 mins finding ways to avoid saying anything slightly controversial. He’s a wet wipe 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Chili said:

His shoot interview was from 1999. I think Regal is on about one of the two being untelevised and Muta is a red light fever worker. Maybe over time things thawed as his roles in wrestling evolved. 

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure Regal was on about this match from November 1995 because he specifically mentioned having a knee injury and his leg being heavily taped up.

image.gif.ec98dafb974898b256d2a896c03cc391.gif

The timing lines up as well because he said he hurt the knee in a match with Benoit and Regal and Benoit did wrestle a singles match over there in the September.

Definitely think he’s probably mellowed towards him now and has likely let go of any grudge he had at the time. But to completely change stance just comes off weird. Wasn’t like he just said in the old interview he was a bit disappointed in the Muta match. I just went back to what he said now and he said it was a “low point” for him, that Muta had “no work ethic or respect for the business”, that he felt “insulted”, came away “fuming” and that he felt like Muta saw him as “beneath his contempt to even bother putting a bit of effort into the match”. Finished with “I wouldn’t pay him in brass buttons”.

If he felt that strongly back then, whether he feels differently now or not, it just comes across really disingenuous to act like it was a totally positive experience. For someone who loves dropping hints about how hard he is, he doesn’t half seem terrified of ruffling feathers. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DCW said:

That shoot interview wasn't during the period Regal was fucked up on drugs was it? would sorta explain him being so negative in public about another worker. 

Nah he mentioned in the interview he’d cleaned up his act at that point. That interview was probably not long before his WWF return in 2000. 

On 9/20/2022 at 10:47 AM, Liam O'Rourke said:

As @wandshogun09 mentioned, the new SCG Radio is up, this time covering one of the most explosive periods in company history - March and WrestleMania 8. The company becomes overwhelmed with negative media press and controversy - drug allegations turns to sex scandal, key officials resign, Vince McMahon is accused of rape, the media hits the story hard with the famous Larry King, Donahue and Geraldo pieces, and amidst the whirlwind, Hulk Hogan leaves the WWF. And of course, we look at the booking heading into Mania 8, as Flair Vs. Savage picks up as Elizabeth takes centre stage, Bret Hart and Roddy Piper have a classic, and the Ultimate Warrior returns to the promotion. A supersized episode, but this is one you don't want to miss. Check it out and enjoy.

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/8hmn3q/SCG_Radio_170_-_The_WWF_In_1992_Part_29zhe9.mp3

Hey Liam, is there a place with all your previous podcasts to listen to? I remember listening to an older one about a year or so ago and liking it a lot. But just never went back to listen to others, for some bizarre reason!

3 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Nah he mentioned in the interview he’d cleaned up his act at that point. That interview was probably not long before his WWF return in 2000. 

I havent listened to it, but could it be a case of Regal genuinely not remembering anything about this (what hes referring to in the 99 interview), and is just giving a bog standard, cookie cutter answer to the question?

4 hours ago, Mikeymike83 said:

Hey Liam, is there a place with all your previous podcasts to listen to? I remember listening to an older one about a year or so ago and liking it a lot. But just never went back to listen to others, for some bizarre reason!

Squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com has them. Or subscribe on iTunes/Podbean/Spotify for the archives. Cheers!

• Paid Members
On 9/13/2022 at 4:19 PM, DCW said:

The Nash host is great though, he could work wonders on Regal's pod in place of the dullard who just says 'Mr. Regal ' all the time. 

Sean Oliver of Kayfabe Commentaries has always been awesome. One of the major casualties of the wrestling podcast boom.

Seems he finally decided that he couldn't swim against the tide any longer.