Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

• Paid Members

Nash is fantastic. I noticed that this week's episode is about Triple H, and usually because there are so (too) many wrestling podcasts out there, I usually skip episodes if the topic doesn't interest me.

But then I remembered its Big Sexy so or course I'll listen to it while painting the spare bedroom on Sunday.

The latest Jeff Jarrett My World podcast ep was great as they ran down how they booked and got Flair's last match together. Its a bit one sided given the opposition out there to the event happening at all, but a great listen nontheless.

Edited by garynysmon

3 hours ago, Nick James said:

I've always said I'd listen to Regal read the phone book, but I got about 20 minutes into the latest episode and it's fucking boring.

I hate to say it but I have to agree.  I definitely think Matt Koon plays a big part in that - he simply doesn't have the knowledge to engage with Regal on most subjects so just lets him ramble on.  Conrad gets a lot of stick online but he's pretty much mastered the format of getting guys to open up whilst still keeping a structure around things.  I think it would be a completely different show with him at the helm.  

21 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Nash is fantastic. I noticed that this week's episode is about Triple H, and usually because there are so (too) many wrestling podcasts out there, I usually skip episodes if the topic doesn't interest me.

But then I remembered its Big Sexy so or course I'll listen to it while painting the spare bedroom on Sunday.

The latest Jeff Jarrett My World podcast ep was great as they ran down how they booked and got Flair's last match together. Its a bit one sided given the opposition out there to the event happening at all, but a great listen nontheless.

It was funny listening to Conrad go on about how everything that happened in the match was planned only for Jeff to say "gotcha" in a way that sounded like "so this is how we're telling it?". It was a pure carny recognizing carny moment.

38 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It was funny listening to Conrad go on about how everything that happened in the match was planned only for Jeff to say "gotcha" in a way that sounded like "so this is how we're telling it?". It was a pure carny recognizing carny moment.

Topped by Ric releasing his podcast the same day. I've only seen the clickbait articles rather than listen to it, but the headline was blacking out twice.

Listening to Regal's latest podcast about about NXTUK.

Talking about how ICW were doing maybe a couple of shows a month, Progress maybe doing a couple of shows a month, Revpro maybe doing a couple of shows a month, PCW doing maybe a couple of shows a month. Looked like a scene but it really wasn't it was just an internet fad.

NXTUK famously running a couple of shows a month and in the beginning just existed on the internet. All underwritten by a billions dollar company happy to take the loss.

I've given up on Regal's pod. With each episode I came to the realisation that he's a bit of a knob and a cranky auld fucker. The whole 'I'm not saying I'm a hard man' and then going on the brag how hard him and his mates were was the final straw. The host is a complete dullard too, which I'm sure doesn't help. Foley's can be hit and miss, but he at least has a good memory for interesting little details and Conrad has a frame of reference for the conversations.

I thought the opposite initially when both pods were announced. Reckoned Foley would phone it in but Regal would regall us with amazing stories and witticisms.

Edited by DCW

21 minutes ago, DCW said:

I thought the opposite initially when both pods were announced. Reckoned Foley would phone it in but Regal would regall us with amazing stories and witticisms.

I just didn't think Regal would have the material to string it out. Foley at least has memorable main event runs that can be broken down into individual episodes, with enough indies and sides stories to keep people interested.

The average person would struggle to come up with a memorable feud for Regal. It's made worse by the complete lack of chemistry with the host.

• Paid Members

Again, anyone who went to see Regal do those one man shows a few years ago could see the podcast would be shite rambling. He’s entertaining on tv. Just in interview/podcast/one man shows form would see what an insufferable bore he is and can’t get to the point with any anecdote. 

• Paid Members

Im sorry but i have a sly laugh at the Whooooooooo! wings adverts. Famous wings wooooo yeah wooooo wings!!! wooooooo!

Who are Regals uk friends he keeps saying he hangs with that are proper hard men? 

Also i dont know if any of you noticed but i think matt koon might work with kids? 

I used to listen to him and Russo............You think him refusing to keep Regal on course is bad....

• Paid Members

Podcasts hosted by wrestlers usually fall into four camps:

1) Shit.

2) A constant barrage of shit adverts and plugs.

3) Free WWE/AEW PR (or "Please can I have Job Vince/Tony?").

4) All of the above.

So it's no surprise that William Regal, as entertaining on commentary as he is, has fallen into revisionist history and talking assorted bollocks.

• Paid Members
On 8/27/2022 at 6:16 PM, DCW said:

Foley's can be hit and miss, but he at least has a good memory for interesting little details and Conrad has a frame of reference for the conversations.

One thing I've noticed which is very refreshing, is that sometimes Mick is self-aware enough to know he might be getting things confused so checks himself with Conrad. And you don't have to suffer the embarrassment of the guy talking about their own career insisting they pinned a guy for the belt after the wrong PPV in Sioux Falls IA when it was six months later in Tallahassee etc, next to a guy staying quiet who knows better just like those of us listening do.

I’m very close to tapping out on Regal’s podcast, or at least going to listening on a case by case basis rather taken weekly. He got asked a question three episodes ago that he still hasn’t got to the point of.

Theres also a lot of “I’m not sure if I can say this” or “I’m not going to say who that person was” going on, which kind of defeats the point of things. 
Matt Koon also doesn’t seem to have a handle on things most of the time and doesn’t seem to know anything of Regal’s work pre-WCW. Should’ve got our own @JNListerin the host’s seat

Shame, as I was really hopefully when it was first announced.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I'm not as burned out on Regal as most, but it's the only wrestling podcast I'm listening to, and it's not appointment listening by any means. He repeats himself across episodes a lot, and Matt Koon just doesn't know enough about the subject matter to ask any meaningful follow-up questions. That, and they keep doing episodes on things that Regal's already talked about - the NXT UK episode didn't really deliver anything that him talking about it in the previous episode hadn't covered - or that he doesn't have anything to say about, like the Man's Man gimmick.

It's showing up how the Conrad podcast formula doesn't work when you're talking to someone whose career has mostly stayed out of Wrestling Observer bullet points. When there's no "Meltzer had this to say", there's no structure. Derek Sabato and whoever else they have researching must be laughing all the way to the bank, they've never once been needed.

I do find it amusing that someone who's been everywhere, worked with everyone, has hundreds of wrestlers' details in his address book, and who frequently makes a point of knowing where everyone's working and how they're doing, seems to have no frame of reference beyond Dave Taylor, Fit Finlay and Robbie Brookside. You'd be forgiven for assuming they were the only people he'd ever wrestled.

Edited by BomberPat