Wrestling podcasts 2023

hallicks

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I'll give it a try! I usually hate mucking about with the intended format of things, but listened to Iron Maiden's new stuff on 1.5 last year and it improved it to no end. 

After a few shows you won’t notice it. Only times it’s thrown me is seeing people live after it 

10 hours ago, DCW said:

I still can't believe what a mess Regal's pod is.

I've dipped out of it for the last two weeks. Film study over his final match with Cesaro and then this week's "Use wrestling, don't let wrestling use you." I'm sure there might be some interesting bits amongst it. Sifting through 2+ hours to get them, isn't for me.

I think that was always likely to be the case to be fair. It's not like Regal was a booker or had the most interesting of personal feuds.

• Paid Members

If anyone went to those one man shows Regal did over here a few years back, then you’d know what a rambler he is. I went to the London show and his stories were all over the place and the whole thing was a mess in general. So I’m not surprised his podcast is like that and a bit boring. I wasn’t sold when he went on Renee's podcast. Just get to the fucking point, Billy. 

12 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Maybe the video would help but I find Nash's podcast way too slow. I had to take my phone out during a walk on more than one occasion during the first episode to make sure it was actually still playing, because he tends to gather his thoughts a lot. A bit of pre-game wine and medicinal, perhaps, for Big Sexy. I'll probably give it another shot though. 

I was never into Lapsed Fan due to the way it could stop in its tracks for an hour at a time when they enjoyed their own routines but I found this playlist last night and really enjoyed having it on in the background during work today. Meltzer's got a largely reliable memory and is still a very good authority to listen to when he's kept on track. It's essentially just 15-30 minutes each week of him doing a retrospective on the business around each WrestleMania: 

One thing that stood out for me in one of the later episodes is Dave properly went for there being bad blood between Rock & Cena initially. Maybe Rock felt a bit of hurt on his side, but I think John's far too clever and far too sympathetic to extending your whims beyond the WWE to have actually been shitting on Rock for bunking them to go and do the movies. Cena was always working, I think, there. 

I'll probably give Lapsed Fan another chance. It's just one of those things I'm dying to have click for me so I'll have so much new content to enjoy. 

I just can't listen to Lapsed Fan after the Benoit episode. Their outbursts of disgust came across as fake. 

"and then Benoit did this" 

Co-host: "Oh my god" 

Just took me out of the listening experience

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 10:20 PM, Gay as FOOK said:

Maybe the video would help but I find Nash's podcast way too slow. I had to take my phone out during a walk on more than one occasion during the first episode to make sure it was actually still playing, because he tends to gather his thoughts a lot. A bit of pre-game wine and medicinal, perhaps, for Big Sexy. I'll probably give it another shot though.

This was very noticable on the first episode, but three episodes in now and hes definately fixed this. Even during Ep2 its gone, so he must have listened to the feedback and worked on it. It carries on being a very good listen. Nash speaking about anything just seems inherently interesting.

Logged on for the first time in months just to say, for old listeners to the show, that Kyle Ross of TopRopeNation and I have started a series looking at 1992 in the WWF, following on from the 90 and 91 series we did previously. First episode covers January and February, looking at all the major stories, on screen and off, including the media war pitting Superstar Billy Graham and Dave Schultz against Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon, steroids continuing to dominate the headlines as testing begins and bodies start to shrink (or vanish), Ric Flair and the 1992 Royal Rumble, the heel turn of Sid Justice, hot potato with the Intercontinental Title and what it means for Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels throws Marty Jannetty through the Barber Shop window, the tag team division finally plummets all the way into the toilet and what could have been done to save it, as well as all the side stories, debuts, hirings and firings and loads more. 

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/8v28cw/SCG_Radio_169_-_The_WWF_In_1992_Part_19flc8.mp3

17 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Logged on for the first time in months just to say, for old listeners to the show, that Kyle Ross of TopRopeNation and I have started a series looking at 1992 in the WWF, following on from the 90 and 91 series we did previously. First episode covers January and February, looking at all the major stories, on screen and off, including the media war pitting Superstar Billy Graham and Dave Schultz against Hulk Hogan and Vince McMahon, steroids continuing to dominate the headlines as testing begins and bodies start to shrink (or vanish), Ric Flair and the 1992 Royal Rumble, the heel turn of Sid Justice, hot potato with the Intercontinental Title and what it means for Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels throws Marty Jannetty through the Barber Shop window, the tag team division finally plummets all the way into the toilet and what could have been done to save it, as well as all the side stories, debuts, hirings and firings and loads more. 

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/8v28cw/SCG_Radio_169_-_The_WWF_In_1992_Part_19flc8.mp3

Awesome, although selfishly I wish the episodes would come around a bit more often. I’ll always have time for early 90s talk as that’s when I became a fan

Just finished your Pillman book too, really enjoy it.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Haven’t got to starting the Nash podcast properly yet but caught a few of the shorter clips on YouTube. This one is my favourite so far. Starts off on about Matt ‘Crusty The Clown’ Bourne but it’s the Lou Albano stuff that tickled me. 

I can only imagine how insufferable the Kliq (Shawn especially) could be in the locker room back then but there’s something about the mental image of Nash and Shawn going “Hey Lou, how ‘bout a pipejob? How ‘bout a pipejob?” while a bloody Captain Lou rages at them while holding a blade just kills me.

I love Kev’s Albano impression at about 2:50 as well. “Back in the day guys would say, ‘how long to Poughkeepsie? And you’d say ‘a quart of vodka. We didn’t go by miles, we went by vodka”. 🤣 His delivery of the word “vodka” is class. The story isn’t quite on par with that hilarious story about riding with Sheik, Sid and Dutch on one of his other Sean Oliver shoots but his Capt Lou impression is right up there just behind it now for me.

I’m on nights next week so I think I’ll finally start blasting through the first few episodes. 

• Paid Members

I love Regal but his podcast is hard going for me. I’ve persevered with it and there are some good stories in there but there’s loads and loads of him going miles away from the original question and repeating “I do me” and “I’ve lived a charmed life” over and over. I stuck the latest one on earlier and he’s telling a story of a scuffle he had with Sid in the WCW days. There was a great story in there but it turned into a massive rant with him basically saying how hard he is, how hard his mates are etc but that “I don’t think I’m anything but…we’ll leave it there”. If it was just that and he moved on it’d be one thing but it went on and on. There was one of the other recent episodes where they opened the show and I think the host barely said hello and Regal was off on some long tangent that had nothing to do with anything. 

Is the host not keeping him on track the major thing here? Because I don’t remember Regal being this rambling and hard to follow on other peoples podcasts. He was fantastic on Steve Austin’s and I remember enjoying him on X-Pac’s a lot as well a while back. It’s a shame because I really want to like this but I’m close to tapping out now.

• Paid Members

I've always said I'd listen to Regal read the phone book, but I got about 20 minutes into the latest episode and it's fucking boring. I was listening to it on the drive to work and had to turn it off. He almost sounded pissed at points, just mumbling and droning on with no real purpose.