Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I wonder what my dad would have been like on WhatsApp

I had the same thought about my dad the other day, and I quickly came to the conclusion he would have been a dick, the same as he was in real life. My dad died in 1999, well before smartphones became a thing, and I know you shouldn't speak ill of the dead but had he been around in an age of dating apps I would have had even more half brothers and sisters than I have and I can't afford the Christmas cards as it is. 

• Paid Members

There’s this Irish bloke who lives in Thailand and goes around helping abandoned and mistreated dogs and his Twitter is brilliant. Some of the ‘before’ videos of the dogs are hard to look at and will make any dog lover angry but seeing the transformation as they get better is lovely. This little chap named Rodney’s recovery is what initially brought me to the account and he’s almost unrecognisable from the state he was found in. 

AF12-B33-F-2-CCA-4-FBD-A7-C0-E26-C29-EFE

Really worth a follow if you’re on Twitter. I was sick of the bullshit on that app and was recently close to deactivating but this account was probably the main reason I didn’t.

• Paid Members

Took my 91 year old Gran on holiday to the Land of Our Fathers over the weekend. Lovely time and well pleased to be able to give her some enjoyable memories after a shit few years for her and the family generally.

Drove us as far up Sugar Loaf Mountain as the car could go and we just sat and watched the valleys in silence for about 20 minutes. Have always felt very lucky to have such a good relationship with my grandparents in contrast with my folks.

• Awards Moderator

Only saw the death-related posts earlier today and was so glad it’s not just me. We’ve got a WhatsApp group for celebrity carking.

A514EB76-8776-4F2A-8BD3-E61A91715253.jpeg.04e2093981715e24b5b00c49a0e73b0a.jpeg

I find out about famous deaths in here way sooner than if I was to rely on the news, Twitter or Pete. 

The only rule we have is that it must be a crap pun (sorry, Butch) based on the recently deceased’s name.

In recent months we’ve had David Cold, Hearstie Alley, Deadson Arantes do Nascimento, Ghoulio, Grimreaper Vialli, Death Beck, Crosby’s ill & ash, Sickie Davies and Christian Flatsu.

Whoever gets in first gets a point and at the end of the year, we have a night out where the winner doesn’t buy a drink. If my Mum finds out I’ll be out of the will.

I was was emotionally blackmailed in to going to Chester Zoo on Sunday and I had to queue for a good half hour to pay £20 for some drinks and there was a bloke waiting at the counter the whole time getting increasingly more agitated. When I got to the front the lad brought him a vegan hotdog out and apologised for the wait. That’s what you get.

Was alerted to a blog/website that lists bands from Coventry. Didn’t realise it was so in depth to the point that one of my old bands had an entry (like your mum). There was even a photograph, a link to a song, and the blurb named me personally!  I’m quite amazed and astounded we were remembered!

• Paid Members

Have come to the end of my most recent journal notebook, and have opened a new pack of Field Notes books, American National Parks special edition. Going to start with the Acadia one. Always nice to start writing away in a fresh new notebook.

IMG20230402235924.jpg

IMG20230403000024.jpg

EDIT: Found out that the paper does note take fountain pen ink very well - a lot of "bleed", gets quite blotchy. Going to be journalling in biro for a while, which, to be fair, would be a change.

But yeh - if you're also a fountain pen user, I wouldn't recommend Field Notes books. They are very high quality, but clearly the paper's too lightweight for that sort of ink.

Edited by Carbomb