Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• Paid Members

We found that the best way to stop them tipping over bins was just to put food out for them - it's the behaviour of hungry animals. Initially, we'd go to the supermarket and get discounted pork liver and kidneys (they were something like 20p per pack) for them, but we found that cheap dog food just worked out better. Consequently, most of the foxes around my house tend to be quite subdued in their behaviour, and they don't wreck as much stuff. The shitting, can't really do much about, but we just chuck it in the compost or dig it into the soil (I know it's not likely to be particularly beneficial to the plants, but I don't think it hurts either).

The noise, well - we've been lucky, but it hasn't occurred as often as all that. Irritating when it does happen though.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:28 PM, SuperBacon said:

Ooooh the Dick Mabbutt.

As I read the post in my head I couldn't help bur hear this in Kenneth Williams' voice.

On the fox topic, Glasgow is crawling with them throughout all the urban area's. Our last house was beside a wooded area and one night as I was heading to bed I saw two little fox cubs playing chase with each other around the cul de sac like little kittens would under the watchful eye of their Mum.

The foxes here are probably the only thing that stops the entire city being overrun by rats. Not sure whether they don't raid the bins as they're too full of rat meat to be interested.

I was always told the screeching was the foxes shagging.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

We’re in south east london and we have loads of foxes too, they’re seem pretty engrained in day to day life. In the summer time when all the kids are running around the courtyard/patch of green downstairs, the foxes are just loitering about completely unfased by humans and the kids enjoy the novelty of having foxes about. It’s quite nice to see foxes and humans sharing the same area just getting on with life

• Paid Members

I love urban foxes. I grew up in a farming village in East Yorkshire, so you'd hear about foxes, but I literally never saw one. After that I moved to Jersey, and they don't have foxes there. So living in London now, it's still a really charming novelty to see foxes running about, and always feels like a real treat when one stops in the road and watches me.

I don't have a garden, and my bins are in an outbuilding, so there's nothing they can to really ruin that experience for me. They can be noisy sometimes, but I lived through years of having herring gulls screeching on my roof and right outside my window, and nothing will be as annoying as that.

I used to have a trail cam set up in the garden, mainly to see the hedgehogs. But a family of foxes were regular visitors, it was always magical to see them!  We’d leave out cat food and raw eggs for them. I miss seeing them, wish that cam didn’t go kaput. 

• Paid Members

Damn. Just did some reading on whether or not carnivore faeces are bad for plants - turns out they are. Apparently even composting them for a long time doesn't kill off the harmful bacteria. So just have to chuck it in bags and dispose. 

That's a bit annoying.

EDIT: Especially as yet another UKFF thread succumbs to poop.

Edited by Carbomb

I can’t quite figure out how to upload photos properly, so these will show up as links most likely. Anyway, my first AliExpress Lego arrived and it’s a thing of beauty. Indistinguishable from the genuine thing, no missing pieces or rubbish instructions just like some of you said. On eBay, this set goes for £300-£500. I paid £25. More sets will follow. I’ve got my eye on Wall-E.

https://ibb.co/zN7hMRx

https://ibb.co/8X3QQw6

https://ibb.co/6JXTJ4q

9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I used to have a trail cam set up in the garden, mainly to see the hedgehogs. But a family of foxes were regular visitors, it was always magical to see them!  We’d leave out cat food and raw eggs for them. I miss seeing them, wish that cam didn’t go kaput. 

I have a trail cam in the garden and found out the fox that’s always around has had a cub so I see the both out and about together. They tend to eat the bird food off the floor but I didn’t know they eat raw eggs though. Is that a common thing? Do you put them in a dish?

5 hours ago, Spud said:

Is that a common thing? Do you put them in a dish?

It is common, it’s a source of protein that they don’t have to chase!  Just leave them on the ground and they carry them back home and bury them for later.