Things that cheer you up

Carbomb

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Was this the Wally's World one where each issue focused on a different country? I had a binder folder full of every issue of this. Was fuming during lockdown when I wanted to dig them out and me mam told me she'd thrown them all away.  

It was!

I also had them in a binder but I assume mine are all gone at this point too, sadly.

Edit: A quick ebay search shows the binder came free so I think everyone probably had them in a binder!

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

I picked up a Where's Wally jigsaw in a charity shop for my gran's birthday one year. It was only 200 pieces, but it was one of the easier scenes. 

I had all the books that weren't activity books, but they've been confined to history now. I will get them again. 

The videogames weren't great. I did enjoy the AVGN video about them. 

The cartoon was pretty good. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

This really feels like it ought to lead into a stand up routine and not more Where's Wally chat.

20 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I picked up a Where's Wally jigsaw in a charity shop for my gran's birthday one year.

"I'd only gone in to see if they'd take the mother-in-law."

senior-man-smoking-on-the-porch.jpg?b=1&

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

This really feels like it ought to lead into a stand up routine and not more Where's Wally chat.

Turns out there was a piece missing. Unfortunately it wasn't the one with Wally on it, as that would have made for a heck of an anecdote. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Pretty much every Monday, when I come back to Heaton Chapel on the train after shopping, there's an old woman sat on the platform with her grandson just watching the trains go in and out. Little guy always looks like he's having a blast.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Pretty much every Monday, when I come back to Heaton Chapel on the train after shopping, there's an old woman sat on the platform with her grandson just watching the trains go in and out. Little guy always looks like he's having a blast.

I used to go to Preston Station with my steo-grandad to watch the trains. They were nice days out. I also had a date with somebody and we just sat on a bench on a platform at Manchester Piccadilly, talked, cuddled, and watched the trains. It was such a good time. One of the more recent times when I paid them a visit they met me off the tram, and we just sat on the tram stop for about an hour, catching up, watching the trams, talking. Turns out they were involved in designing the tram wash between Old Trafford & Stretford. 

• Paid Members

I'm a massive railway/train geek. I like old ones, new ones, the lot of them. I **hate** commuting on them at times, especially the Underground, but I'll be damned if I'm not massively impressed by them. 

Moving to London in 2015 was amazing, because you've got so many iconic pieces of railway infrastructure right on your doorstep, from the bigger stations like King's Cross to some of the lesser known stops like Deptford - the oldest railway station in London still in use from something mad like 1836. There's so many hidden gems all over the city to discover. 

One of my favourite spots as a child was Ely in Cambridgeshire - my dad's cousin would always get the train down from Manchester for Easter and for Christmas, so we used to drive there and pick her up for the rest of the journey to Norfolk. It's a busy junction with a few different routes and passenger services converging, plus lots of heavy freight workings powering through and disturbing the peace. We'd always arrive early so I'd be able to see the trains go by. I went back as recently as 2021 and it's busier than ever which is lovely to see. 

Preston historically has been a railway hotbed. Fun fact - the last regularly timetabled steam service departed from there at the end of steam in the 1960s (apart from a special railtour organised shortly afterwards). York and Carlisle are great places for variety as well.

What amazes me is that steam trains, to this day, still regularly work on the main line on special railtours, and there are even dedicated locomotive depots with steam facilities adjacent to the mainline. Most of these machines are getting close to a century old. I know our railways have their issues, but how bloody lovely is that? I know some nations occasionally run a rare steam service but nowhere near the amount the UK does. 

Fun fact for you all - there's a sub-group of the railway/trainspotter's hobby group called 'bashers'. As far as I know this isn't a euphemism - nor are they there to bash the trains by hurling abuse at them in a trolling manner. A 'basher' is someone who delights in physically riding the trains (still not a euphemism) and travelling as many miles as possible behind them, usually behind a particular class of locomotive. They usually favour loud, growling diesel locomotives and try to get as close as possible to them in the coaches so they can hear them at full voice while in motion. Personally I much prefer watching them whizz pass and admiring them from afar, which I believe makes me a 'crank' in the sub-group by comparison. 

• Paid Members

@Fatty FacesitterI do like the sound of a good diesel thrash (the out of context thread would have a field day with some of these posts). Class 20 "choppers" have a particularly nice sound to them. They converted a couple for use as the train at the end of Goldeneye. 

I remember last year being on my way home from work and I was just about to get on the tram at Cornbrook when I heard a 37 behind me hauling freight overnight. I think some of them are kept on contract for BNFL? Cornbrook is right next to the line out of Oxford Road/Deansgate . I stopped in the open door to turn around and look at it, only to be met by the angry  faces of the people who were waiting to get onto the tram so I had to continue my commute rather than getting my phone out to take a picture. 

I'm not a fan of London as it's too big and busy, but I love riding the underground. I should try and get down there for a few days again so I can just have a mission around on them. Down to Wimbledon for the trams, a ride on the Elizabeth line. I want to ride the Waterloo & City as well, but I know it's only usually at peak times so it may be a little busy. I've got a friend who works as a guard for TPX, and I keep asking whether I can ride along with him one day. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@Fatty FacesitterI do like the sound of a good diesel thrash (the out of context thread would have a field day with some of these posts). Class 20 "choppers" have a particularly nice sound to them. They converted a couple for use as the train at the end of Goldeneye. 

I remember last year being on my way home from work and I was just about to get on the tram at Cornbrook when I heard a 37 behind me hauling freight overnight. I think some of them are kept on contract for BNFL? Cornbrook is right next to the line out of Oxford Road/Deansgate . I stopped in the open door to turn around and look at it, only to be met by the angry  faces of the people who were waiting to get onto the tram so I had to continue my commute rather than getting my phone out to take a picture. 

I'm not a fan of London as it's too big and busy, but I love riding the underground. I should try and get down there for a few days again so I can just have a mission around on them. Down to Wimbledon for the trams, a ride on the Elizabeth line. I want to ride the Waterloo & City as well, but I know it's only usually at peak times so it may be a little busy. I've got a friend who works as a guard for TPX, and I keep asking whether I can ride along with him one day. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. 

Moderators, I'd like to report the outrageous flirting and dirty talk above. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Moderators, I'd like to report the outrageous flirting and dirty talk above. 

Do we need to create a UKRailFanForum thread? 

• Paid Members

Wouldn’t say I’m a train enthusiast or anything but I certainly appreciate them. They’re my favourite mode of transport, and the other day when one drove over the bridge in front of us on the way to Aldi I got excited and told my wife how cool it is when you see one pass like that. She didn’t care sadly!

Was a big fan of being a passenger on @jazzygeofferztrains back in the streaming days. Always a relaxing ride!